Headphones and Sound improvement recommendations
Jun 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rhymer2k

New Head-Fier
Hey all, i saw to come here for advice on headphones. I have been researching for a month now and the few headphones which have kept coming up are
Audio technica Ad700
Beyerdynamic Dt 770
Audio technica m50s
JVC rx900
cannot remember the rest...
I will be mainly using them for games, music and the occasional movie in the order 40%-40%-20% respectively. I listen to mainly hip-hop,rnb, pop, alternative and basically anything else including rock sometimes but not classical, which is why the bass which comes with the beyer's sounds kind of appealing. It is mainly for home use when i am alone so i am not too fussed about whether the headphones are open or not. I recently bought the gamecom 367 to kind of use while i researched for better headphones and i'm sure i can do better
Oh and i am in the Uk and i have a budget of around 150 pounds so any other suggestions would be appreciated. I can go higher if it is absolutely necessary. 

Oh and i also need an external sound card or device to improve my sound to use while listening to music or watching stuff on my hp laptop, ps3 or macbook pro...maybe a dac? or portable amp?
Thanks for your help

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 24
Welcome to Head-Fi!

From my experiences, the AD700 phones have a great soundstage; to me they sound great for light rock, acoustic songs, classical, any cultural music...  They also pick up a lot of detail (with soundstage great for gaming).  Home theater is okay, but they are lacking in bass so the explosions don't live up to standards.  Don't get me wrong, the bass is present, but no real punch.  So for bass heavy music these aren't the best option.  M50 is bassy, not too much but just right IMO.  They will help with your music tastes, but they don't have the soundstage the AD700s have.

FWIR, the DT770 is a more balanced can, so it will have a mixture of bass and soundstage.  Can't say I know for sure though, haven't heard them or done extensive research.

And have no idea about the JVC...

So good luck!  Buy both and see which you like better!  Or...  Just pick one randomly and if you don't like it sell it and go for the other.

Good luck!

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 24
Which model of the DT770s are you looking at?

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi!

From my experiences, the AD700 phones have a great soundstage; to me they sound great for light rock, acoustic songs, classical, any cultural music...  They also pick up a lot of detail (with soundstage great for gaming).  Home theater is okay, but they are lacking in bass so the explosions don't live up to standards.  Don't get me wrong, the bass is present, but no real punch.  So for bass heavy music these aren't the best option.  M50 is bassy, not too much but just right IMO.  They will help with your music tastes, but they don't have the soundstage the AD700s have.

FWIR, the DT770 is a more balanced can, so it will have a mixture of bass and soundstage.  Can't say I know for sure though, haven't heard them or done extensive research.

And have no idea about the JVC...

So good luck!  Buy both and see which you like better!  Or...  Just pick one randomly and if you don't like it sell it and go for the other.

Good luck!

I was looking to buy either both the beyers and the audio techincas or the jvc's and the audio technicas but i am also looking at portable amps like the ibasso mamba and hv been told that dacs will improve my audio quality but i cannot afford all of these, especially not all at once

Quote:
Which model of the DT770s are you looking at?

This is another source of confusion, i keep seeing conflicting opinions on the web and after reading over 100 threads i'm still confused. The pro/ 80's keep being mentioned though. Any advice on which version to purchase?

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 24
I do not have experience with those headphones, but as far as the external amp/dac goes I cannot recommend the Nuforce uDAC highly enough. It it the one piece of my setup I have no urge to upgrade.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 24
If you want bass for movies and music, I assure you that Ultrasone Pro 550 has plenty of bass and its S-Logic design definitely tricks my brain into thinking the sounds are surrounding me. I liked the Pro 550 so much that I am looking forward to upgrade to a 900.

I'd also recommend Denon D5000. You can find reviews of them here in head-fi.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
This is another source of confusion, i keep seeing conflicting opinions on the web and after reading over 100 threads i'm still confused. The pro/ 80's keep being mentioned though. Any advice on which version to purchase?

Yeah the sheer amount of info on these forums is incredible. After reading on here for a month straight (probably around 4-6 hours a day) I was still confused. The thing is this hobby is extremely subjective so what one person loves another may very well think it sounds like utter garbage. After all the research it comes down to trying a can for yourself. It's what you like not what I like.

I'd probably forgo getting the DT770/80s. I have a couple pairs of them. While they do extremely well with movies and games (which is why I have them) they are only okay with music. They have a lot of bass but it's a bit bloated and the mids are recessed so I generally don't recommend them for music. Unless of course you like a copious quantities of bass. FWIR, though admittedly it's not much, the DT770/600 is a good option though the bass is completely different and they are much more neutral than the 80ohm version. However, they are more expensive and you'd probably want an amp to go with them. Ultrasones would definitely be worth looking at though they do tend to be a love them or hate them can.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
If you want bass for movies and music, I assure you that Ultrasone Pro 550 has plenty of bass and its S-Logic design definitely tricks my brain into thinking the sounds are surrounding me. I liked the Pro 550 so much that I am looking forward to upgrade to a 900.

I'd also recommend Denon D5000. You can find reviews of them here in head-fi.

Never actually bothered about the ultrasones because they just looked a bit weak to me, worrying me a bit about breaking them. I will have to put them into to consideration aswell. Thanks guys
Keep the suggestions coming, really appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Never actually bothered about the ultrasones because they just looked a bit weak to me, worrying me a bit about breaking them. I will have to put them into to consideration aswell. Thanks guys
Keep the suggestions coming, really appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

Ultrasones are VERY durable. Superficial looks seem to be sacrificed for it's durable design. Extremely tough

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 24
Ultrasones are tanks....S-Logic (Plus) is BS though IME. They can have a decent soundstage, but I've found that that is dependent on the amp. In your situation, I'd probably go for the Beyers. They seem like they'd do well with games and music. I've heard the AD700s, and while they have an excellent soundstage for gaming, their bass leaves much to be desired.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Ultrasones are tanks....S-Logic (Plus) is BS though IME. They can have a decent soundstage, but I've found that that is dependent on the amp. In your situation, I'd probably go for the Beyers. They seem like they'd do well with games and music. I've heard the AD700s, and while they have an excellent soundstage for gaming, their bass leaves much to be desired.

I'd have to say the PRO series can more effectively use the S Logic placement of the drivers. HFI series headphones barely have much room to be placed away from the inner ear. PRO series headphones have far better soundstaging than HFI. Also, the bass can be very much felt in Ultrasones. Not so much with Beyers (in comparison)

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 24
Yeah, maybe you'll find something nice in the Ultrasone range. Like Napalm, I wouldn't recommend the Beyer DT770 Pro for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back