Headphones (140-250 $) combined with Xonar Essence STX or other DAC/AMP
Dec 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Murpie

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys! 

My first post here so be nice! ^^ I know I'm not going to be 100% obedient to the rules of this forum but I'm going to ask TWO questions in this thread, 
evil_smiley.gif
 but I don't know how else to put it. 

--- --- --- --- --- ---

I am looking for a pair of good headphones to pair up with a Xonar Essence STX soundcard. My desired price range is 140-250 $ (for just the headphones). 
beyersmile.png

As for now, I'm looking at three different headphones but I'd love some help and other suggestions:

Sennheiser HD 518
Audio Technica ATH-M50
KRK KNS 6400

I listen to a pretty varied range of genres, but primarly metal, blues and acoustic music. Music by bands like for example "Trivium", "SOAD", "Stevie Ray Vaughan" and "Rodrigo y Gabriela". When it comes to sound I like a neutral sound, with good soundstage, clarity, detail and when you can really hear the strings against the fretboard. The bass should be punchy and NOT slow and boomy. 

I'm going to be listening to tracks in FLAC or high bitrate MP3.

My other (slightly disobedient second question) is what you guys think of the Xonar Essence STX and if you have a better suggestion in the same price range. For example a good DAC and headphone amp?

I've read that one could experience slight problems with low impedance headphones in combination with the Essence STX, is this anything I should be worried about?

I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500 and a pair of Beyerdynamic DTX100 IE:s. Also, I live in Sweden and **** is more expensive here and I can't get hold of everything. :)

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 21
Do you mind buying used?  Check the FS section and all the stuff we mentioned should fall into your price range.

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Hi! 

Thanks for your response. Thing is, I live in Sweden and all those headphones is either unavailable or above my current price range. :)

DT880 600ohm for $200. <--- Excellent deal.
DT880 600ohm for $220.
DT880 PRO for $200.
DT880 32ohm for $125. <--- Good deal.
HE-300 for $125 EU.
HE-300 for $170.  <--- This is an excellent deal, I'd go for this one.
PRO 2500 for $135.
AD900 for $145GBP.
AD900 for $120. <--- Good deal if you can tolerate a scratch.
K701 for $200.
K701 for $185.
FA-002W for $90 GBP. <--- Wow, great deal, I'm tempted on these myself.

USPS flat international to Sweeden would be around $45 or so.

Very best,

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 21
Thx! I don't know about buying used, doesn't feel safe with the distance. Also I have to get the stuff here. :wink:

MalVeaux: Thx!!! :D Will look in to these. Thing is we have have a additional 20% VAT (tax) also... 
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Hi Guys! 
I am looking for a pair of good headphones to pair up with a Xonar Essence STX soundcard. My desired price range is 140-250 $ (for just the headphones). 
beyersmile.png

I'm going to be listening to tracks in FLAC or high bitrate MP3.
My other (slightly disobedient second question) is what you guys think of the Xonar Essence STX and if you have a better suggestion in the same price range. For example a good DAC and headphone amp?
I've read that one could experience slight problems with low impedance headphones in combination with the Essence STX, is this anything I should be worried about?
I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500 and a pair of Beyerdynamic DTX100 IE:s. Also, I live in Sweden and **** is more expensive here and I can't get hold of everything. :)

The Essence STX is a good all around card, Headphone audio sound quality as good as any mainstream sound card.
The headphone amplifier chip is well liked and the STX fully supports Blu-ray audio.
you can always find a DAC & headphone amplifier that sounds better then the Essence STX, but would cost more money.

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
The Essence STX is a good all around card, Headphone audio sound quality as good as any mainstream sound card.
The headphone amplifier chip is well liked and the STX fully supports Blu-ray audio.
you can always find a DAC & headphone amplifier that sounds better then the Essence STX, but would cost more money.

So you don't think an Essence STX would produce better sound quality then my Sound Blaster X-Fi Music I'm currently stuck with? XD :D :/

Which DAC & headphone amp would you recommend in a near price range? :) Would you spend the extra money on better headphones or a better DAC/amp combo (then the essence stx)?

I've read good things about KRK KNS 6400.

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
So you don't think an Essence STX would produce better sound quality then my Sound Blaster X-Fi Music I'm currently stuck with? XD :D :/
Which DAC & headphone amp would you recommend in a near price range? :) Would you spend the extra money on better headphones or a better DAC/amp combo (then the essence stx)?
I've read good things about KRK KNS 6400.

Sound quality of the STX would be way better then the SB X-Fi Xtreme Music, for headphones.
For better or worse, I like using the STX over a DAC/Amp combo.
I like having everything (like surround sound) on one card and inside the computer case.
I hooked up my $70 Muse EH 6922 single tube headphone amplifier to the RCA outputs on my STX.
Did not hear much of a difference, between External amp and STX for headphones.
But it is a low cost tube amp.
Also I'm not sure what is the best external DAC/Amp combo that would out do the STX for a reasonable price.

Headphone wise, the KRK KNS 8400 seems to be getting good reviews.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:

The Xonar Essence STX should have far superior analog sound quality, not to mention the dedicated headphone amp, but the X-Fi XtremeMusic has a better DSP for gaming. (Genuine EAX 5 and CMSS-3D Headphone and so forth.) Of course, there's always the option of looping the XtremeMusic's S/PDIF output (if you can find the prerequisite adapter) into the Essence STX and letting that card output it over its better analog circuitry.

If gaming isn't a factor at all, though, then you can do without the kludginess and just use the Essence STX.

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:

The Xonar Essence STX should have far superior analog sound quality, not to mention the dedicated headphone amp, but the X-Fi XtremeMusic has a better DSP for gaming. (Genuine EAX 5 and CMSS-3D Headphone and so forth.) Of course, there's always the option of looping the XtremeMusic's S/PDIF output (if you can find the prerequisite adapter) into the Essence STX and letting that card output it over its better analog circuitry.

If gaming isn't a factor at all, though, then you can do without the kludginess and just use the Essence STX.

I'm pleased to hear that. Gaming sure is a factor though, I'm going to put the card in my computer for gaming. So if I'd like to keep a better performance for gaming I should keep the card and get a good DAC/amp? I do need a crappier soundcard for my other scrappier computer.

Looping seems tricky? ^^

Anyone got any ideas for an amp/dac combo? 
dt880smile.png

I've been looking at this combo:

Pro-Ject Head Box II     (headphone amp)
Pro-Ject USB Box        (DAC)

Thing is maybe my X-Fi Music or a new Asus Xonar D1 would benefit from a good headphone amp? That way I could get both good performance in games and when listening to music through my new soon to be headphones? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back