Headphone upgrade....Ultrasone or something else?
Jun 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

WiFi-WiRe

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Right now I´m using AKG K271 MK II headphones. I like the detail level, but the AKGs lack some bass. So I´m thinking about selling them and buying some other cans with more bass.
I mainly listen to classic rock(AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Thin Lizzy and co),punk rock (GreenDay, Rise Against and some more) but sometimes I also listen to other genres( but never Jazz and classic). The headphones will also be used for gaming and playing my V-Drums. As sound card I have the Xfi Elite Pro and for the V-Drums a Presonus Interface. I´ve already done some resarch and found some interesting models(as I´m German,Grados are no option).I prefer closed design, but I also take suggestions for open cans.

-Ultrasone Pro 900: Seems to be the complete opposite of the AKG. Unfortunately no shops around my town have them and they are quite expensive. Maybe too much treble? Also they dont look very solid......
-Beyerdynamic T70p: Same price level than the Ultrasone, but do they have enough bass?
-Beats by Dre Pro: Bad reputation, but I think they cant be so bad......their advantage is that they are smaller than the others so they are portable. But are they good for other music than HipHop?
-Sennheiser HD 650 (open) : maybe too hard to drive, dont have the money for buying also an amp
-Philips L1: dont know anything about them, I wonder how they sound....

Can you recommend me some of them (or other cans?)

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Hi,
Right now I´m using AKG K271 MK II headphones. I like the detail level, but the AKGs lack some bass. So I´m thinking about selling them and buying some other cans with more bass.
I mainly listen to classic rock(AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Thin Lizzy and co),punk rock (GreenDay, Rise Against and some more) but sometimes I also listen to other genres( but never Jazz and classic). The headphones will also be used for gaming and playing my V-Drums. As sound card I have the Xfi Elite Pro and for the V-Drums a Presonus Interface. I´ve already done some resarch and found some interesting models(as I´m German,Grados are no option).I prefer closed design, but I also take suggestions for open cans.

-Ultrasone Pro 900: Seems to be the complete opposite of the AKG. Unfortunately no shops around my town have them and they are quite expensive. Maybe too much treble? Also they dont look very solid......
-Beyerdynamic T70p: Same price level than the Ultrasone, but do they have enough bass?
-Beats by Dre Pro: Bad reputation, but I think they cant be so bad......their advantage is that they are smaller than the others so they are portable. But are they good for other music than HipHop?
-Sennheiser HD 650 (open) : maybe too hard to drive, dont have the money for buying also an amp
-Philips L1: dont know anything about them, I wonder how they sound....

Can you recommend me some of them (or other cans?)

You can list your location in your community profile.
Have you checked the Thomann website for headphones?
Your X-Fi Elite Pro might lack the ability to drive the AKG K271 MKII to their best.
Might look into a low cost headphone amplifier first.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 13
I meant that no local shops have the Ultrasone for trying them before buying.It´s not a mainstream brand. Beats can be found everywhere. Thomann has them, of course. They have all except Grados, because Grado doesn´t want them being sold in the EU

And the Elite Pro has a headphone amp in the breakout box AFAIK. It can be so loud that it would blow my ears off if I would turn volume to 100%
and tbh, if you look at frequency response graph, the 271 has even less bass than the K701.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I meant that no local shops have the Ultrasone for trying them before buying.It´s not a mainstream brand. Beats can be found everywhere. Thomann has them, of course. They have all except Grados, because Grado doesn´t want them being sold in the EU

And the Elite Pro has a headphone amp in the breakout box AFAIK. It can be so loud that it would blow my ears off if I would turn volume to 100%
and tbh, if you look at frequency response graph, the 271 has even less bass than the K701.

Did not know the Elite Pro had an amp. in the break out box.
Learned something today.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are "full" bass headphones.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 13
Ultrasone have a new Office in Bavaria.

Stop by they'll let you try them out.

ULTRASONE AG 
Gut Raucherberg 3
82407 Wielenbach
Germany / Bavaria

Phone: +49 (0) 881 901150 0
Fax: +49 (0) 881 901150 50 

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 13
lol bavaria is big, its not very near^^ but thank you :)

maybe someone here has already heard them and can tell me if they are good for my taste of music? As they are nearly as expensive as a T70P, what quality increase over the AKG can I expect?
And what about the Beats Pro? Are they really so bad as some here say? I mean, the Studios/Solos are ****t but the Pros?

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 13
Sorry Canada here... some of us drive over 100 km's each way for work.
I forgot that folks in the EU pack for an over night trip on anything past 30 km's. 
tongue_smile.gif
  j/k

Tyll's review on the Beats Pro...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-pro

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 13
What about the Beyerdynamic T5p it's German, 32ohms and is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back