Headphone upgrade from Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
Nov 15, 2010 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kebbin15

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Can you guys recommend me a good upgrade from ATH-M50?? I love my music with a lot of bass but yet with quality. I love listening to house and electronic music and some Dubstep songs. My price range is below 300 bucks and I'll be using my laptop for these hps. btw, I still love my ATHM50, I just want a new pair of headphones for Christmas.

Here are some headphone choices:

- Denon AH-D2000
- Ultrasone Hfi 780
- Pioneer HDJ-2000 (DJ Headphones)

Thanks. 
beyersmile.png

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 7
Do you have a good soundcard on your laptop, if not, I suggest a dac first. A dac can do WONDERS for your headphones, as using your headphones through your laptop's headphone jack is limiting the quality of sound your headphones are capable of. The Fiio E7 would be great as a dac/amp. Much better than the E5.

As for M50 upgrades, I haven't heard the D2000, but that would definitely be what I'd go for if I want something that improves on everything the M50 does well. If you don't care about your headphones being closed or open, I'd suggest the DT990 as well. They have awesome bass that is quicker than the M50s bass, but as thumpy. The treble is very pronounced, so that might turn you off.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 7
FWIR, I suggest considering the SRH750DJ ~$130 with a USB DAC / amp like the uDAC2 ~$130. 

Quote:
I love my music with a lot of bass but yet with quality. I love listening to house and electronic music and some Dubstep songs. My price range is below 300 bucks and I'll be using my laptop for these hps.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 7
As mentioned above, if you're using your laptop onboard sound, that should probably upgraded ASAP - especially since you already have decent headphones. Your M50s will sound drastically better even if you got a DAC/amp combo like the uDAC2. In the same vein, there's no use upgrading to higher quality headphones if your onboard sound will be limiting sound quality anyways.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah... I agree. If your onboard, integrated soundcard is not-so-good, you'll just be amplifying the not-so-good sound. If you can find a USB DAC/Amp go that way as it bypasses the soundcard. If your soundcard is good... sure get an amp as the M50's are great and will scale nicely.

Until you can seriously improve your sources, 'upgrading' cans from the M50 would be a bit of a waste.

shane

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 7
My laptop has a good sound card. I have the new HP Pavilion DV7 with beats audio and to be honest it sounds pretty great. I always use it together with my M50 and the beats audio just makes my music more awesome compared with ordinary laptop soundcard which is kinda flat. And I might as well buy a new sound card the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD (http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-HD/M/B004275EO4.htm). So what do you think guys? what headphone should I get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back