Headphone suggestions? Help I'm stressed.
Oct 23, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #47 of 69
Did you ever look into the B&O H6 or Hifiman Edition S? Just curious

I've read a lot about the H6 but haven't been able to try it. Honestly if the Meze doesn't shape up I'm just gonna go with the B&W because I'm nearly certain I wouldn't like the H6 more. "What HiFi" has matched how I feel on every headphone I've tried and I'm sure I'll find a fatal flaw with the h6

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #48 of 69
I've read a lot about the H6 but haven't been able to try it. Honestly if the Meze doesn't shape up I'm just gonna go with the B&W because I'm nearly certain I wouldn't like the H6 more. "What HiFi" has matched how I feel on every headphone I've tried and I'm sure I'll find a fatal flaw with the h6
Not much to dislike about the H6. I'll take it over the 99s every day of the week. But your call. It's safe to say people will always find at least one minor flaw with most headphones, but fatal may be negatively pushing it lol.

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #49 of 69
I would usually absolutely agree with this sentiment but the Classics are one of the most well-known headphones for being easily driven and sounding great out of cell phones. I have Tidal HiFi. Oh well.

I'm not an audiophile. I'm looking for a headphone that will be driven easily and sound great from my phone. At least semi portable.

I just want to enjoy my music.

Even folks who are not audiophiles are looking for a sound. After you have your sound, you may not ever have a desire to upgrade for years.

You already kind of know what sound your looking for, but you need to dial it in slighly. Many of us have been where you are. Also just realize at the start none of us knew we would purchase what we did.

My simple suggestion is plug your headphones into a couple high powered DAPs.

Edit:

Also IEMs may be the ticket to get the sound your looking for straight from a phone.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #50 of 69
I tried the P7 and adored them. Such balance across the range and amazing treble and clear yet recessed mids. I'd like to try the wireless version.
Nice, I haven’t heard the wireless or PX model. It’s more recent than the P7 model so I wonder if they made any improvements to the sound. My P7s are currently my main daily use headphone.

Your impressions on the 99 classics are interesting. I had them for a few months but also bought the silver upgrade cable from Meze in order to use them with a balanced output. I felt they sounded okay but wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be based on what I’d read. The microphonics were an impediment for me as I wanted them for on the go use. Also I found they had an unusual spike or emphasis in the treble - right in the frequency of ride cymbals and hi-hats, which would make them over-emphasized and sounding quite metallic and artificial. The same would happen if the vocal line passed into that higher frequency range. Keep in mind the difference in cable might be the issue there as I didn’t experiment much with swapping to the stock cable - the guy I sold them to said the cables made a noticeable difference (and he actually preferred the silver due to less bass emphasis).

So anyway, they’re well-loved headphones but not by at least two of us here :wink:

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #51 of 69
In this situation the goal should be to also try as many headphones as you can. Everyone likes different signatures, and it’s obvious that the flavor of the month may not be what you like. Head-Fi has always had popular headphones, but at times it’s surprising when you hear them.

Much off the time what’s popular here doen’t really sound that great. IMO

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #52 of 69
Nice, I haven’t heard the wireless or PX model. It’s more recent than the P7 model so I wonder if they made any improvements to the sound. My P7s are currently my main daily use headphone.

Your impressions on the 99 classics are interesting. I had them for a few months but also bought the silver upgrade cable from Meze in order to use them with a balanced output. I felt they sounded okay but wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be based on what I’d read. The microphonics were an impediment for me as I wanted them for on the go use. Also I found they had an unusual spike or emphasis in the treble - right in the frequency of ride cymbals and hi-hats, which would make them over-emphasized and sounding quite metallic and artificial. The same would happen if the vocal line passed into that higher frequency range. Keep in mind the difference in cable might be the issue there as I didn’t experiment much with swapping to the stock cable - the guy I sold them to said the cables made a noticeable difference (and he actually preferred the silver due to less bass emphasis).

So anyway, they’re well-loved headphones but not by at least two of us here :wink:

The PX are like the most polarized headphone I've ever read about lmao. They can't play music without a charge and have to be used wirelessly. I've also heard they're less comfortable than the P7. Also I read the auto-play feature is buggy. Also they have less bass. I personally don't give one f*ck about features, and that seems to be the main goal of the PX. Most reviews say p7 is better sounding so you're best to stick with that and save four hundo.

People say the wireless has about the same sound as the wired but with a bit more bass. I'd probably mainly use it wired but it's a nice versatility option to be able to go wireless. It has AptX and all that fancy shiz.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #53 of 69
Sorry to put it so bluntly but it seems you're just making the same mistake all over again and again ...

After buying headphones by only reading reviews and forums online and without hearing it first with your own music ... and the disappointment that came with it ... the best idea you had is to come to a forum and ask other people what they recommend instead of finding ways to try headphones by actually listening to them?

Everybody's hearing, music style, personal preference, headphone gear etc. is different so yes, a forum or review can give "hints" about what might be worth trying but I strongly advise against buying without hearing first. It just leads to disappointment and it seems you just found out the hard way.

All the best on your headphone journey :)

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #55 of 69
Sorry to put it so bluntly but it seems you're just making the same mistake all over again and again ...

After buying headphones by only reading reviews and forums online and without hearing it first with your own music ... and the disappointment that came with it ... the best idea you had is to come to a forum and ask other people what they recommend instead of finding ways to try headphones by actually listening to them?

Everybody's hearing, music style, personal preference, headphone gear etc. is different so yes, a forum or review can give "hints" about what might be worth trying but I strongly advise against buying without hearing first. It just leads to disappointment and it seems you just found out the hard way.

All the best on your headphone journey :)

I wouldn't say I found out the hard way. I've just been purchasing and returning headphones if I don't like them. I have to spend some time with a headphone to know if I really love it or not.

I am however, shocked that countless people recommended the 99s in this same thread and after giving backstory and what I like at the beginning that I don't feel the same way that they do.

There are some sources that I found I agree with nearly all the time with headphones. You have to try them for yourself, but also you should make an educated guess on which one you'll love based on stuff you read, watch, etc., which is what I did, so I don't understand what your point is.

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #56 of 69
Hmm. Looking at your post and then your reaction to the Meze, I wonder if maybe the problem is that people were trying to suggest a warm&bassy option, when maybe what you really liked about the Beats to begin with had more to do with the treble emphasis part of the v-shaped tuning?

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #57 of 69
Hmm. Looking at your post and then your reaction to the Meze, I wonder if maybe the problem is that people were trying to suggest a warm&bassy option, when maybe what you really liked about the Beats to begin with had more to do with the treble emphasis part of the v-shaped tuning?

That's a very interesting thought and probably has a lot to do with it. Lots of people report the treble and bass really falling apart with the new iteration of pads on the Meze's. Not sure how many people who recommended it to me were actually using the pads that are on my version.

I like bass and treble. The Meze seems to have booming bass but almost no treble to offset it, making it just sound kinda... bad.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #58 of 69
That's a very interesting thought and probably has a lot to do with it. Lots of people report the treble and bass really falling apart with the new iteration of pads on the Meze's. Not sure how many people who recommended it to me were actually using the pads that are on my version.

I like bass and treble. The Meze seems to have booming bass but almost no treble to offset it, making it just sound kinda... bad.

Might be worth bumping the Beyerdynamic headphones up on your list of things to try, as they are supposed to have more treble than similar offerings. Note: That is entirely hearsay, I don't own any Beyer headphones yet.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #59 of 69
Might be worth bumping the Beyerdynamic headphones up on your list of things to try, as they are supposed to have more treble than similar offerings. Note: That is entirely hearsay, I don't own any Beyer headphones yet.
I came to post this same thing, if you are a treblehead you will certainly enjoy listening to some Beyer headphones. What Hifi regards several of them very highly

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #60 of 69
You could consider the 1More H1707. I have and have only heard the gold version (the silver uses different drivers). The gold is more of a copper. It could be the sound you are looking for. If I were forced to give up my Meze (Neo) or the 1More I would keep the 1more. More of an all rounder and more portable. It is over ear for me and comfortable.

In a way I hesitate to make a recommendation because I feel like you will be looking to find fault with anything. Maybe not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back