Headphone suggestions? Help I'm stressed.
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #16 of 69
I had the same issue as you.
I still own my PM3's. After getting them I purchased the OPPO HA2-SE and switched the bass boost on... what a magical difference.
The PM's are a great pair overall, they are flat but you can tweak them fairly easely.
After I got the PM's I decided to opt for a house pair with more boom.
I got a pair of E-MU Teaks. They are 100$ over your budget, but from what I have heard the Fostex (419$ https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones) are 90% of the way.
I would highly recomend them.
So here are my 2 solutions:
Try out (if you can) the HA2-Se and see if it makes an impactfull difference (about 300$)
I would get a nice pair of the new Fostex on Massdrop.

*** Edit:
Have you tried or are you open to trying IEM's?
The selection is fantastic at that price point.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 69
Ok i've read all the replys so far and WOW! Probably half of you have recommended the Meze's. I've read lots about them and saw Inner Fidelity's review and i'm thinking i will probably try them next.

I've been trying Sony MDR-1A, which i love their comfort and portability but the bass is just too loose and fat imo.

Here's another thing: i don't have the money or want to buy a headphone amp. Maybe in the future, but i want something that will sound great on my phone. I'm getting the LG V30 soon because i've heard it's marvelous for audio.

I'm torn on what to do next. I'm considering trying out the B&W P7 or Meze 99 Classics. Everyone is saying I will love the Meze's sound, but the B&W seems more portabile and has way more reviews so it's clearer to me. The site WhatHiFi has absolutely nailed everything i've ever felt about any headphone i've ever owned, and their review of the P7 makes me really want to try them.

Idk. The trial and error continues i guess.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 69
Sounds like the OP really just heckin' likes bass, which is totally fine. Maybe check the dedicated basshead thread? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

Also, seriously consider EQ and/or an amp with a bass boost function to add bass?

Another factor may be source. If they're currently driving everything off their phone or w/e, then it's possible that some of the nicer headphones they've tried are actually revealing problems with the source.

I don't consider myself a basshead. I preferably want a neutral or slightly warm headphone that is fun, musical, and engaging. Im also only looking for over-ear closed back ones.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #19 of 69
I had the same issue as you.
I still own my PM3's. After getting them I purchased the OPPO HA2-SE and switched the bass boost on... what a magical difference.
The PM's are a great pair overall, they are flat but you can tweak them fairly easely.
After I got the PM's I decided to opt for a house pair with more boom.
I got a pair of E-MU Teaks. They are 100$ over your budget, but from what I have heard the Fostex (419$ https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones) are 90% of the way.
I would highly recomend them.
So here are my 2 solutions:
Try out (if you can) the HA2-Se and see if it makes an impactfull difference (about 300$)
I would get a nice pair of the new Fostex on Massdrop.

*** Edit:
Have you tried or are you open to trying IEM's?
The selection is fantastic at that price point.

I'd love to try the HA-2, but now that Oppo isn't selling them, they are expensive as **** and tbh at this point i'd rather just cash in on the PM-3's for something cheaper and more appealing and more portabile.

Also, something about the PM-3s sound makes it really hard for me to listen to for a long time. It's really fatiguing to me (not the physical fit). It's great, just not for me at this point.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 69
Late reply here, but I'll also throw in my vote for the Mezes. That is, as long as you don't have a big head...

I'll also stick up for the Oppos as well, as I'm a dedicated user of them for years and years now. Yes, they sound flat and boring when not properly amped, but they really come to life with a little juice behind them. I find that they have perfect synergy with the Oppo HA2, which sadly is discontinued.

I dont care to get a headphone amp. I want a headphone that will be portabile and sound great out of my phone. Reviews made it sound like the PM-3s were good portabile/on-the-go 'phones. Their impedence allows it but the sound really doesn't.

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 69
Ok i've read all the replys so far and WOW! Probably half of you have recommended the Meze's. I've read lots about them and saw Inner Fidelity's review and i'm thinking i will probably try them next.

I've been trying Sony MDR-1A, which i love their comfort and portability but the bass is just too loose and fat imo.

Here's another thing: i don't have the money or want to buy a headphone amp. Maybe in the future, but i want something that will sound great on my phone. I'm getting the LG V30 soon because i've heard it's marvelous for audio.

I'm torn on what to do next. I'm considering trying out the B&W P7 or Meze 99 Classics. Everyone is saying I will love the Meze's sound, but the B&W seems more portabile and has way more reviews so it's clearer to me. The site WhatHiFi has absolutely nailed everything i've ever felt about any headphone i've ever owned, and their review of the P7 makes me really want to try them.

Idk. The trial and error continues i guess.
I don't think the Classics will let you down. I'd roll the dice and order a pair

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #26 of 69
Dude, I'm afraid you are an amateur basshead. I used to be one 10 years ago. Time to evolve.

10 years ago? How old are you? I'm only 18.

Just because I like bass doesn't mean i'm an amateur. **** outta here with that nonsense.

Pretentious people like you are why so many people stray away from these forums. Do you have advice? Or are you just a jackass?

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 69
I am a jackass that may have some advice. And if your Beats Solo that you liked was the very first ugly edition, I guess no advice will cover that state of affairs )) Beats used to be a meme of bad sound around audio enthusiasts. Don't struggle and don't stick to expensive devices hoping to find good sound - you simply are not ready.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #28 of 69
I am a jackass that may have some advice. And if your Beats Solo that you liked was the very first ugly edition, I guess no advice will cover that state of affairs )) Beats used to be a meme of bad sound around audio enthusiasts. Don't struggle and don't stick to expensive devices hoping to find good sound - you simply are not ready.

:thumbsup::v:

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #29 of 69
Hi Trevinthefionaapplefan,

As I'm late to this thread, I will only add Meze 99 Classics is a good choice you should be pleased with though I will state in advance, if there are fit issues, I suggest looking at thicker pads like ZMF cowhide.
With general fit, 99 Classics require no adjustment except for gravity for best fit.

The important rule in this hobby is to remember when choosing headphones above all else is to demo as much as possible with a quality source you are familiar with though admittedly in some cases, demos are not always possible but as you are based in the US, given how many headphone meets & especially, Canjam, this shouldn't be a problem.
Finding good information on audio related gear, technology is sometimes ridiculous in this day & age, especially without the BS but honestly, not all that hard to find good info which is relevant to you.
Sadly, more often than not, audio ethusiasts who actually know what they're talking about usually get overshadowed by the other lot which is more annoying & especially those who have not tried gear which is actually worth trying so I suggest in furture, unless you can be fairly certain yourself & trust your own ears, take what most say with a grain of salt especially if it turns out the other lot never heard the topic in question.
I would also suggest if you're interested in learning about good sound, look into the Pro Audio industry & gear.
Professional mixers, egineers, producers, etc who actually work in the music & /or sound industry who can provide something useful, eg, produce like a pro, production advice, these two professionals have youtube channels which are free to listen to & are actually there to help.

Back to the topic at hand.

I am curious on your file source quality & format, though by all accounts your phone is more than good enough if especially with the PM 3, you say things are lacking.
The important thing to remember is a quality source matters, at least CD quality with 320 kbps.
Though if the source is good in the first place, it doesn't really matter what format the music/sound may be in though idiots will argue this point more often than not.
As an owner who has the PM 3, though with Oppo's own balanced cable, I have found all bass response on the PM 3 more than fine but that's just my humble & subjective opinion.
While not a basshead, I like good bass.
As @ProtegeManiac has stated, PM 3 is known for it's very flat response & due to those high sensitivity planar drivers make almost everything easy to drive, very little can be done accurately to fix bass response as they are not a bass oriented headphone as that seems to be your preference which is why anything potentially light on bass may not be favourable.
There's a difference between good bass response and too much bass response.

Head amps are tricky, I would also suggest looking into some which may work for you though it is important to remember, unless the head amps have good DSP, straight amplification will not fix a bad source.
But at some point, looking at a good head amp wouldn't be out of the question.
A simple no frills, affordable but powerful head amp which works well is the Presonus HP 4.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back