Headphone Similar to Koss DJ100/200 but more detail????
Oct 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chinook9

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of $50 Koss TBSE (like Koss DJ100/200) and I am really surprised at how much I like them.  I am considering buying a better set of headphones ($200-300 if necessary) and would like to get some that have similar sound to the Koss but somewhat better with more detail and possibly speedier response...hard to explain but like balanced armature IEMs.

I really like the forward and engaging mids (stolen from tdockweiler description) of the DJ100 and I really like the bass but I don't know how to describe it.  I don't believe they're basshead phones but I like the bass that I'm hearing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Heya,

Want to stay with a closed headphone or do you want to branch into open headphones?

I'm thinking Q701 and A900X initially.

Very best,

Open or closed doesn't matter much to me.  I'll check out the Q701 and A900X.
Thanks for the reply.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 5
What you do is get M50 pads and a more revealing source/DAC
biggrin.gif
An ODAC would be nice! No, i'm not suggesting that, just saying..
normal_smile .gif

The DJ100 will only be as good as the source it's connected to. It scales up with $10,000 DACs. Ok, I made that last part up.

I've found the DJ100 is every bit as detailed as my Q701, KRK KNS-8400. I mean, I bet I couldn't find a single thing in those that's NOT in the DJ100 (with my setup). Stock and with a portable player, I probably couldn't say this.

The only thing that comes to mind is the modded HD-600. It has more detail than stock, less warm and sounds much clearer. A LOT less forgiving.
Very similar to the HD-580, but much more open. I haven't heard any headphone quite like the DJ100. I think maybe it's some weird mix of an HD-598, Sextett, HD-580 and SR-225i. The mids of the 225i are almost as engaging and as fun as those on the DJ100 IMO. The DJ100 to my ears is like a Sextett on steroids. Everything I found lacking in MY sextett the DJ100 fixes. Maybe I have a really awful Sextett.

The modded HD-600 has less treble than the DJ100, upper mids might be the same. Bass is about the same, but the DJ100 has more low-bass(!). Modded HD-600 still sounds a bit warmer.

NOTE: HD-600 stock doesn't really sound like the DJ100. Remember, this is the DJ100 with M50 pads.

The HD-598 is also quite good too. I would ever ever pay $250 for it or $399 for the HD-600.

The HD-580 at $150 on Ebay is a steal as long as it doesn't include the HD-650 cable or HD-600 grills.

BTW I was surprised at how much more detail my DJ100 had when I upgraded to an HRT MSII (DAC). Even the soundstage got larger! I now have the ODAC and it still feels like a detail monster. Definitely less so than my HRT MSII. The M50 pads ($20) really do improve detail by a lot. Even improves the soundstage.

I always try to find a perfect full sized CD player and it's amazing how so many of them hold up so well against my DAC. My favorite is this JVC from 93 I scored for only $20. Got it from a thrift store like new. It's even better than my Oppo 971H. Somehow this thing loves my HD-600 and DJ100. I found one that's nearly as detailed as my old HRT MSII. Know idea how. I believe it was made by Technics.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 5
I took the pads off my MDR-V6 and they make the TBSEs much better.  I may go ahead and buy some M50 pads if I can get a good deal on the because sooner or later I will have to put the pads back on the V6s.

I might just stay with the TBSEs a while and try a few different headphones.  I just listened to the Philips Uptowns and Downtowns at Best Buy tonight. I liked both of them but for the short time I listened, I liked the Downtowns better they're only $45 to $50 so I may just go ahead and get a set of them just for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back