Headphone Sale on Amazon- Beyerdynamic DT770 for $126
Oct 24, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #61 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compare this:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

beyerdynamic DT 770 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

It puzzles me....
I now think that the graphs are for a new DT770 pro, that came out in 2006 (?)
Look at the different designs.

Funny, both options offer the exact same description, with the sole exception being the rating (the older model geta 5, the newer a 2.5), so who knows. However, the second link is the ones Amazon has on sale right now for $113.77 - and those are the 2005 model.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #64 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the market for some ~$80 headphones, but from the way you guys talk it would be worth my wild to pay the extra to get these DT 770's?

else, I was going to get the HD280's

I haven't done essentially any research, I shouldn't be disappointed with these, right?

also, how long do you think the deal will last? I probably won't be able to make the purchase till tomorrow night.. or should I just go for it now?

Do not, under any circumstances, buy the HD280s. Heavy, hot and the sound quality is very poor in comparison to other closed back models now available. If the Beyers don't float your boat then get the Denon D1001s. MUCH, much better in overall sound quality. But I think the Beyers will best the Denons, and for not much more $$$ - though I won't know for sure until they arrive.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #65 of 278
I heard back from Amazon. They no longer offer the 30 day price protection. The relevant passage: Quote:

I understand you may have taken advantage of a 30-day price guarantee policy in the past. However, that policy was discontinued on September 1, 2008.

I know you are concerned about the price you paid, and certainly understand if you choose to return the item and purchase it at a lower price. If you do not want this item or you like to cancel this order and receive a refund, you may refuse this shipment when it arrives and can place a new order for the same item for the new price. Refusing the shipment allows you to return it without having to pay for return shipping.

It's worth the $6 for me to have the phones earlier. And I guess they figure most people won't refuse shipment in a situation like this, otherwise this policy would cost them MORE money than simply continuing the 30 Day price guarantee. Well, Amazon has gone down a notch in my estimation.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #66 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's some mistake somewhere. The most recent official description consumer lineup is 2005.

Yes, you are right. But one of those I gave a link for, is a Pro one....

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #68 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, both options offer the exact same description, with the sole exception being that the older model gets 5 rating and the newer only a 2.5, so who knows. However, the second link is the ones Amazon has on sale right now for $113.77 - and those are the 2005 model.

Well not exactly the same. For example the first lines:

Pro edition:
"The new-for-2006 beyerdynamic DT770 is an old-school, sturdy sealed headphone with good bass response. This newer model offers better control on the highs than the previous version. The weak-sounding mids of yore have also been beefed-up nicely and are now slightly better detailed."

Consumer 2005 edition:
"The beyerdynamic DT770 is an old-school, sturdy sealed headphone with terrifically clean and punchy bass response, especially for a sealed headphone design. This revised DT770 model offers better control and sonic extension on the upper treble ranges than previous 770 editions. The somewhat recessed mid-range of yore has also been nicely beefed-up and is now significantly better-detailed to our ears than many other sealed/closed headphones on the market today."

BTW: HR's DT770 '2006' is not a new consumer edition, but a Professional edition. See the pictures. Maybe released in 2006, or otherwise HR is just making a mistake with the year.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #69 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not, under any circumstances, buy the HD280s. Heavy, hot and the sound quality is very poor in comparison to other closed back models now available. If the Beyers don't float your boat then get the Denon D1001s. MUCH, much better in overall sound quality. But I think the Beyers will best the Denons, and for not much more $$$ - though I won't know for sure until they arrive.

The DT 770/2005 even beats the Denon D2000
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #70 of 278
"...Sorry about your wallet.." indeed. I just pulled the trigger - wanted some closed cans to replace/add to my 7506's for my home studio. Or work, we'll see.

did anyone try them with either the the uamp 107 or the fiio E3? (I am planning on getting the E5, when it comes out. Hopefully, I will not need to upgrade my amps to drive them...)

Thanks!

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #71 of 278
Why is the Canadian dollar doing so poorly compared to the US dollar? The 770s are US$113 on Amazon.com, which after free shipping and taxes makes it CAD$157 for me (not incl brokerage fees and whatnot). SUCKS!

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #72 of 278
Quote:

Compare this:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

beyerdynamic DT 770 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

The first one is a review on the DT770 Pro 250 ohm (look at the picture),
which according to HR are from 2006.
The second one is for the DT770 2005 consumer edition.

So the graphs that are still on Headroom, are for the DT770 '2006' Pro.
They deleted all DT770 reviews, exept for the DT770M.

For your information:
The review at the first link (the Pro '2006') is from April 10th, 2006.
The second link (2005 consumer edition) is from August 29th, 2007.
HeadRoom replaced the Pro '2006' review for the 2005 comsumer edition review.
If you want to puzzle more, here's the site I used: Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #73 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by baglunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is the Canadian dollar doing so poorly compared to the US dollar? The 770s are US$113 on Amazon.com, which after free shipping and taxes makes it CAD$157 for me (not incl brokerage fees and whatnot). SUCKS!

Never mind, Amazon will not ship these outside the USA. Sucks even more.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #74 of 278
Tiemen, that nice internet archive thing! Thanks!
Quote:

You want DT 770 again?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #75 of 278
Quote:

I would probably bite if they did... Would be nice to try a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back