Headphone Sale on Amazon- Beyerdynamic DT770 for $126
Nov 23, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #271 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, thanks for correcting. But seriously, 250 Ohm/DT880 and DT700 are more like pota'to/potato' things.

Interesting - and good to know. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #272 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really can't decide what to think of these. I got mine a few weeks ago and I would say the bass is a tad recessed or maybe it's just that the highs are so pronounced. On some songs this works out well as the bass was overly emphasized due to bad mixing. What bothers me though is that in certain cases the bass is so overshadowed that it is overwhelmed by the bright highs. I discovered this to be the case in most of my flamenco music. I keep hoping the bass will strengthen and the highs will become a bit warmer as I'm not a huge fan of the metallic sound but it certainly is a different experience for me.

In my opinion the DT770's bass is 'accurate'. Bass is not exaggerated or emphasized.

If the track really has thunderous or deep bass e.g. first track of Vinicius Cantuaria - Vinicius (2001) and "Angel" from Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998) the DT770 can deliver it. To test for bass response try track 7 "Karmosin" from Tord Gustavsen Trio - Being There (2007)

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #273 of 278
The main issue I had with the these DT770/2005, is sibilance.
What do new owner think, are these cans sibilant?
Or was it maybe a bad match with the rest of my gear.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #274 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are these cans sibilant?

Absolutely not, as far as I've been able to judge thus far. I paid close attention to this yesterday when doing some fairly critical listening, which included Björk's Medúlla album. If you haven't heard that album, I think it's fair to say that it's a good one for making evaluations of this sort of thing.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #275 of 278
Quote:

Can't say that I've heard any sibilance in any of my listening time. No, the DT 700s are not as open and clear as my AKG K701s, but they are hardly what I would called closed in or sibilant. But maybe I'm not as sensitive to sibilance as you. All I can say is maybe you ought to try them again if your equipment has changed.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #276 of 278
I found the DT770 treble to be a little harsh and prominent when I first got them. Now, with about 200 hours on them, the sound has evened out, either in actuality or in my head. They are still bright, but no harshness or sibilance. I agree with the earlier sentiment that the bass is "accurate," or at least flexible. Instead of forcing bass heaviness into the song as more bassy cans can, the beyers bass presence varies with the recording, going really deep and full when required. I suppose mids would be their weakness, but even they are pretty strong.

I am currently driving them with an iBasso D3 and really enjoying them with it. I know they would be even better served by a desktop amp (tubes, seems to be the consensus), but I wonder how much? Because, they sound really good out of the D3.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #277 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the DT770 treble to be a little harsh and prominent when I first got them. Now, with about 200 hours on them, the sound has evened out, either in actuality or in my head.

I am in the same boat, 200 hours of cooking with pink noise did tame them down quite a bit.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #278 of 278
Quote:

I'm having that problem too
More of the fault of the audio file/recording instead of the DT770 themselves, but the sibilance in some songs are unbearable.
Probably due to them being more forward and bright compared to what i've been using before this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back