Headphone recommendations? around $350
Jan 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SI51

New Head-Fier
So I'm in the market for some Mid-Fi earphones or headphones - below $350. In particular, I've been looking at Grado (SR325is), AKG (K701) and Denon (AH-D2000). As far as earphones, it has been strictly Shure/Kliptsch.

Now, my question related to these - or any other brand you deem pertinent - would revolve around a particular utilization. This particular use will be through an iPhone4, a laptop (3.5mm jack), and a desktop PC with a SB audigy SE 5.1 sound card (3.5mm jack). While listening, I would want good isolation from ambient noise. I'm not sure about active noise-canceling cans, I have heard they get interference on airplanes? This comes to a concern, as these will be a purchase primarily for air travel, and my everyday commute (train, walking). The types of music I will be listening to range from Ludovico Einaudi to Eminem, basically every genre except for hard-core gangster rap and country.

Through some research, I've noticed some people raving about the K701 and a RAL cable, is this cable usable on a 3.5mm jack and will it improve quality over the standard cable without an amp?

Basically, I'm looking for a very well balanced type of Earphone/Headphone (it must have outstanding bass, I love bass, but not too much) where I could hook it up to an amp if I wanted to on my desktop, but do not necessarily have to, in order to obtain, at the very least, close to the optimum sound quality available from the phones, themselves. In addition, it is of utmost importance that I do not disturb others around me while listening (even at higher levels) and that ambient noise (trains, walking the city, planes, etc.) does not disturb me. I've done some research on the Grado, and apparently they lack mid-range?

Also, primary source of music will be FLAC, with some MP3 thrown into the mix. IE, flac from my PC through amp (amp necessary?), and MP3/FLAC from iPhone4. I'm no audio-genius, however, I am not a noob. So feel free to throw some technicalities at me.

Thank you all very much for your time, I look forward to some informed advice!

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 12
The K701 are out of the picture, because they are open, and leak/hear a lot outside, so you won't get isolation. Also, they need an amp.

So, from your list, I like Denon D2000 would be a good choice, since they are closed (isolation) and I heard that all Denon are easy to drive (no amp needed, so iPhone should be OK), and have good bass

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Ok, thanks for your advice! Someone else recommended the Sennhesier HD600s, and said they are one of the best open dynamic headphones out there. However, they are open, and like you stated they will leak sound, but do they leak a lot of sound or let a lot of sound in? 
Or do you have any other recommendations for some? 
Thanks for your time
Also, I am willing to sacrifice iPhone playback (possibly improved via a portable amp?) for optimum PC playback

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 12
Imo, you need to listen to as many of these Headphones that you can...... I think you'll need some kind of amplification to get them sounding their best......I don't care for the Grado other then the older 60's and yes I've heard them all.......Do you really need a closed back HP???  I liked my Senn.HD-650's     Many people don't ......I enjoy my HD800's even more, but once again I've carefully matched these phones with my Headphone Tube Amp and source/Dac etc........I just heard the Denon AH D 2000 all the way up to their Top of the line....Nice but not for me....The bass was out of control IMO......Remember, You are the one who needs to really love the sound your Cans make.........You can read, and read more good and bad reviews from Damn near everyone, but I think you need to Listen to as many as you can........Buy from a place that you can return your choice if your not happy with the sound (you'll have to  pay shipping back,I'm betting) But check their return rules......Good Luck.........But I think you will need an Amp to get the best out of anything you pick.......

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm not sure that I do need closed back, I just don't want to disturb anyone around me with the sound, I really do need the isolation, however. So, if there are some good semi or full open circunaural phones out there that don't leak a lot of sound and keep  most, if not all of it in the cans, thos would work just as well, and I'm assuming better becuase they are not closed?

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Get the Ultrasone pro 900 they have among the best bass of any headphones currently purchasable. They are bright, very detailed, and upfront sounding. They retail for $599, but can be found on Ebay for about $320. I recommend these over the Denons as they are, technically speaking, of a higher tier (as they are often compared to the D7000), don't leak nearly as much, and isolate slightly better. They do, however, need a good amp, but that's a given for headphones in this price range. They are also very durable, but not exactly sexy beasts, but oh well, you can't have everything... 
redface.gif

Here is a link to a nice thread on them
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-review

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 12
I was in a fairly similar situation as you a couple weeks ago. This did change though, because I just recently got my Mapletree amp...

But for your situation, wanting an easy-to-drive headphone, with little or no need for an amp, that narrows your choices down to Denon or Grado.

AND THEN, since you want a closed design, you're left with Denon! Which really, is a good choice. It'll save you from spending more money on an amp, and you should be more than satisfied with it's sound out of your computer/ipod/ampless source! 

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 12
AND... the D2000's have potential to be upgraded with different parts/materials further down the road...

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 12
What about the Audio Technica M50's? They only cost $150, theyre closed so you shouldn't disturb others unless you really crank the volume, they have decent bass, and the sound can be improved a bit if you do decide to buy a headphone amp.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
What about the Audio Technica M50's? They only cost $150, theyre closed so you shouldn't disturb others unless you really crank the volume, they have decent bass, and the sound can be improved a bit if you do decide to buy a headphone amp.

Hmm, that seems to be a fairly high regarded set of headphones here on head-fi. I've never heard them myself so I wouldn't know. But as highly regarded as they are, and with a $150 price tag, that should be a choice to consider.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 12
dude - do some research - Open = leak like a sieve... music gets out and you can hear everything around you, unless u are listening at defening volumes...

your listed phones are all over the shop, so maybe u need to do some reading and refine the list...

generally for someone wanting to run phones off portable devices - AKG 701s are out. These are notoriously difficult to drive well...

as for isolation - u'll generally be wanting closed....

but the question is - $350 is a lot to pay for quality phones - if you're running it off that gear - its gunna be limited (some would argue closed is a further handicap) - maybe you don't need to go that far? Your choice of denon 2000s is a solid one, but u may also like to check out other easy to drive closed phones such as audio technica's a700s, a900s or since you like shure - maybe consider the SRH440 and 840s - these can all be run off portable gear and are all closed and are recognised as having good sound and features without breaking the bank! a few of those choices ain't too expensive either!

of course being a bass head - u may wanna take a look at the Beyer DT770s (32ohm model)... one bassy phone... altho the denons aren't bass shy either...  all this comes down to subjective preference tho.. some phones u may like, some u wont.... and its not all about sound either - some phones are just down right uncomfortable on your head such that u can't stand to listen to a whole track let alone cd....

senn hd600s - again, open, bulky and benefit from decent amping. no question.

truth is tho, imho - if its isolation and portability you're looking for, its hard to go past iems....rather than full size cans... the isolation u get from some iems cannot be matched by full size cans....i can't steer you into bassy iems that isolate well - i'm real happy with my etymotics, but most won't class them as bassy - even tho IMO - the sound defeats that of mnay vastly more expensive full size cans.... what can i say? really like em.... they have something like 40dB isolation... u will be dead to the world.

jmo anyways...HTHs

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

truth is tho, imho - if its isolation and portability you're looking for, its hard to go past iems....rather than full size cans... the isolation u get from some iems cannot be matched by full size cans....i can't steer you into bassy iems that isolate well - i'm real happy with my etymotics, but most won't class them as bassy - even tho IMO - the sound defeats that of mnay vastly more expensive full size cans.... what can i say? really like em.... they have something like 40dB isolation... u will be dead to the world.

jmo anyways...HTHs

I was going to mention this also! IEMs might not be a bad choice either! When it comes to outside/portable use, I don't even consider my RS1's nor my HD650's. I go to my Westone UM3x's and I've been very happy with those!

If you're looking for bass, the Westone 3 may be a better choice. Those Westone 4's should be coming out soon, but I'm sure they're more expensive than $350... But either way, I do agree with wanksi here. As much as you'd rather own a set of full size headphones, because of what you're looking for out of them, it may be better to go with a nice set of IEMs. I know the idea of IEMs kickin' bass like full sized cans do, seems unlikely, but those Westone 3's kick hard.

And in regards of being "dead to the world", there's something about walking around with IEMs and not hearing a damn thing, whether at school, on a bus, or in any large group of people, that is priceless. I don't know if there's any set of full size headphones that can do that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a full-size headphone guy. But, for your uses, and that "dead to the world" feeling, I would definitely consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back