Headphone recommendation for under $200
May 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aero8

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
Currently looking for an upgrade to my current set (Creative Aurvana Live) for under $200 preferably. My music taste is fairly wide, ranging from Asian pop to orchestral mainly from soundtracks. I also like a bit of bass for movies and gaming so I guess I'm looking for a good all rounder? Also I'm mostly going to use this at home on the PC. I don't have an amp but I do have a sound card with a dedicated headphone port (Auzentech X-FI Bravura).

Right now from a bit of research I've come up with:
Ultrasone HFI 780
Shure SRH 840
Fischer Audio FA-003

*I've tried my friend's Audio Technica M50 and thought they sounded great but a bit too bright for my taste.

Thanks!

May 30, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 7
The HiFi 780 is likely too bright for you then.

Except for isolation, the Fischer (Brainwavz) is not that much of an upgrade of the CAL!

The Shure is a good all arrounder for those who prefer a neutral-ish can.  The Beyer DT 770 Pro is also worth a look.

May 30, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 7
The Beyer has two models, 80 and 250ohm. What difference does that make?
Also I found another headphone in this price range, the Koss Tony Bennett Signature Edition (TBSE1) Headphones seem to be pretty good.

May 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 7
As KG Jag said, they aren't much of an upgrade to the CAL though but thanks for the link anyway. Now I know I would of brought the wrong headphones and also would of been ripped off.

May 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
The Beyer has two models, 80 and 250ohm. What difference does that make?
Also I found another headphone in this price range, the Koss Tony Bennett Signature Edition (TBSE1) Headphones seem to be pretty good.

The 80 Ohm is more efficient and designed to work (at least often) unamped from portable devices and computers.  There is usually a sound quality trade-off from the 250 and higher Ohm versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back