Headphone recommendation for an overwhelmed person
Mar 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #32 of 45
Also it is worth mentioning to the OP that the UE6000 is considerably more expensive at $200 retail, not exactly the same price range. Also he unless he needs the active noise canceling, which he never mentioned, he might be better off spending $200 on a pair of passive cans that sound better and not paying extra for features he doesn't want, plus the fact that you will always have to have batteries in the UE6000. Just things you might want to think about mentioning if you are going to recommend headphones and give little detail about them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The OP said his price range was 200$,and I would worship you if you could find better cans than the UE6000s for the same price. The UE6000s can be used without batteries and sometimes sound better passive, if you don't believe me read tyll's review here

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000-page-2

They are also on the wall of fame.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #36 of 45
Try the Creative Aurvana Live if you do not want to spend that much money; you can get them new for ~70 and they are nice balanced sounding, and need no amp, although they might benefit from a E5/E6 bass boost. If you are still okay with spending 200 go for the UE6000. They are perfect for your needs.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #37 of 45
The only problem here is the existence of the Shure SRH840s,which are in the OP's price range. To add, the problem with the 840s is the existence of the UE6000s which have better all round sound quality. Although the SRH840s with a Fiio E6 might also be an option, given that the 840s are very easy to drive. If you want less bass quantity than the M50s the 840s would be a better option, the 750DJs have a slight harshness to them and are very hard to drive. This is probably the reason for your thoughts about the 750s not needing an amp in order to have any benefit, they need a high powered amp, like an E9.

I have a guitar amp, but I haven't tried with the headphones. I'm guessing that won't work well anyway, cuz it's not even a headphone amp. Is it a bad idea to play music through a guitar amp, and would the headphones sound much better when used with a guitar amp?

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #38 of 45
I have a guitar amp, but I haven't tried with the headphones. I'm guessing that won't work well anyway, cuz it's not even a headphone amp. Is it a bad idea to play music through a guitar amp, and would the headphones sound much better when used with a guitar amp?

The problem with guitar amps is that they are mono, not stereo, amplifiers so they will merge all sound signals into one. Only try it if the amp has a headphone out and aux in. I know the Line 6 amps do, also some Marshalls and Fenders. There are a couple of amps which process in stereo when used with headphones, I'm pretty sure the Fender Mustang does along with one of the Line 6 Spiders.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Tried that through a SB Audigy 2 ZS Pro...

guitar amp's not a good choice for headphones...

As RevAmpled said... "The problem with guitar amps is that they are mono, not stereo, amplifiers so they will merge all sound signals into one. Only try it if the amp has a headphone out and aux in. I know the Line 6 amps do, also some Marshalls and Fenders. There are a couple of amps which process in stereo when used with headphones, I'm pretty sure the Fender Mustang does along with one of the Line 6 Spiders."

to further my usage i believe they wont do surround sound or any thing like that nice i believe it is since most guitar amps are expecting a single source 1 channel device...
Im pretty sure line 6 amps are pretty expensive compared to a (or most if you must) desktop amp.

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #41 of 45
Tried that through a SB Audigy 2 ZS Pro...

guitar amp's not a good choice for headphones...

As RevAmpled said... "The problem with guitar amps is that they are mono, not stereo, amplifiers so they will merge all sound signals into one. Only try it if the amp has a headphone out and aux in. I know the Line 6 amps do, also some Marshalls and Fenders. There are a couple of amps which process in stereo when used with headphones, I'm pretty sure the Fender Mustang does along with one of the Line 6 Spiders."

to further my usage i believe they wont do surround sound or any thing like that nice i believe it is since most guitar amps are expecting a single source 1 channel device...
Im pretty sure line 6 amps are pretty expensive compared to a (or most if you must) desktop amp.

I have the Fender Mustang 1. It has an aux port, and a phones port. So playing normal music through it with headphones will be fine/safe?

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:
I have the Fender Mustang 1. It has an aux port, and a phones port. So playing normal music through these with headphones will be fine/safe?

only thing i have to say is,

make sure you have the volume down on the amp before plugging them in
and always have the amp turned on before plugging the phones
and for extra safety unplug the headphones before turning the amp off.

hearing pop/click plugging headphones into the amp is fine thats just static discharge but some amps have been known with switched mode power supplies to blow sensitive gear.

so id check the volume/level/gains and get them right.

it will be fine and safe if you follow the safety regulations however cautionary advise is 'fine' doesn't mean it will be the best practice solution!

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #43 of 45
only thing i have to say is,

make sure you have the volume down on the amp before plugging them in
and always have the amp turned on before plugging the phones
and for extra safety unplug the headphones before turning the amp off.

hearing pop/click plugging headphones into the amp is fine thats just static discharge but some amps have been known with switched mode power supplies to blow sensitive gear.

so id check the volume/level/gains and get them right.

it will be fine and safe if you follow the safety regulations however cautionary advise is 'fine' doesn't mean it will be the best practice solution!

Should I turn gain to minimum?

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #45 of 45
I wasn't going to get as good of a deal on the HD 380s off ebay so I went to Best Buy and grabbed some Sennheiser HD 280 Pros.  I am very happy with them.  Bass is now tight and precise and louder without being overpowering.  Highs are also articulated much better.  It is amazing how different a properly voiced guitar solo can sound and what that does for vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back