Headphone Quest
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eggontoast

Head-Fier
So I seem to have started an expensive quest.

My head-fi-ing started with a pair of Beyer DT770/80 pro's which sound good but I felt they lacked detail and that the bass was a bit boomy. So I purchased a pair of Stax SR-Gamma's which were the complete opposite they are incredibly detailed but slightly lacking in bottom end, I also find the crisp sound to much for long listening sessions.

So yesterday I purchased a pair of Grado RS2i's which are currently on route from the US, what is the opinion of these cans, is there any love for them here at Head-Fi ?

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Can't comment on RS2i.

But considering you were disappointed with the detail and overpowering bass of the DT 770 Pro, I would have thought the next logical step would be the DT 880 which has superior detail and authoritative, neutral bass.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes that was my first thought, I tried all of the Beyerdynamics at the local Hi-Fi shop and wasn't to impressed with any of them. Unfortunately they don't have to many other manufacturers headphones on stock hence having to purchase and try them out. Not the cheapest way I know but every schoolboy needs a hobby eh, does piss the misses off though.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Do you have an amp? Chances are the store you tried them at didn't do them justice as they most likely had a poor source and no amp. Beyers are not by any stretch effecient headphones regardless of ohm version.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 8
The problem with the RS-2 is that about 99% of Grado fans skip past it and go directly to the RS-1.  I've heard the RS-2 at a few meets - and really enjoyed them - but never found them worth purchasing while I had the RS-1.  I'm not damning them with faint praise, because I do think highly of them.

The other problem is that because so many go directly to the RS-1, you find very few used RS-2 pairs around and lots of us prefer to buy used.  So if you want to buy the RS-2, you usually have to buy it new.  Retail for the RS-2 is $495, which is just about what a used RS-1 goes for.  This just reinforces the decision to buy a used RS-1 instead.

So while the RS-2 is quite good, it's largely unnoticed around here, much like the similarly excellent Alessandro MS-Pro.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 8
I can see how that would make sense I would have loved to have gone for the RS1i's but, over here in the UK you don't see too many second hand Grado RS series. I looked for a few months and came up with nothing.

The new prices for the Grado's in the UK is ridiculously high, they seem to retail for the same in GB£ as the do in US$ which makes them over a third more expensive. I took the gamble and ordered some from the US and will have to wait and see if I get clobbered for import duty at 21% though. I will post a review when they have arrived and we have got to know each other a little better.

Also I have read a lot of information about the Grado's not needing a headphone amp as there low impedance makes them easy to drive, would you agree with that statement ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back