Headphone/headset for rich gaming, not professional gaming?
Jan 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sabzingeur

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm looking for a gaming audio headphone/headset setup in the range of $100-$200. I have heard many people here recommend the the ATH-AD700 as its bass is not very strong as to preventing you from hearing footstep and such. As well as many other setups like using Mixamp, Dobly Headphone USB soundcards, etc.

My criteria are different though. I am not a professional gamer, dedicated to the extent that I sacrifice good sound for the sake of hearing better enemy footstep. Of course I want good positional audio, but at the same time I am looking for a very rich sound with booming explosions and an immersive experience. I want to enjoy playing games like watching a good movie in the theater, that's the kind of positional audio I am looking for, not flat sound and lacking bass.

So far I have heard some recommendation for the PC350 but my concern is it is still designed for 'gaming', so may be it might not have the kind of sound I'm looking for. I don't like the design either. I really like the design of AD700, sadly, it's not an option here.

I also prefer open-ear over closed ear because just in case other people in the house want to communicate with me.

I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium Soundcard, do I need a better card as well?

Thank you!

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to head-fi, 

To start, you can check this guide..very useful.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 7
The ATH-AD700s light bass is a turn off.
Sennheiser HD-558 is like the AD700, but with more bass.
I'm guessing the X-Fi Titanium will work ok with the Sennheiser HD-558 (50-Ohm).

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 7

Haha, I read "rich gaming" and thought: $$.

I think you need to decide whether you want headphones (no mic) or a headset (has a mic). The AD700 is a headphone, and the PC350 is a headset.

Also: why did you start 2 threads to ask the same question?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589877/immersive-gaming-headphone-headset-setup#post_8044884

I reckon this sub-forum is there right place to ask but I don't know how to delete the old thread, that's why. :)

Also, I've check the guide recommended in the 1st reply, it seems every headphone has a different impedance, at which level of impedance will a headphone required for them for optimal results? As I have a dedicated sound card, will MixAmp benefit me? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back