Headphone Extension Cables ???
Dec 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a headphone extension cable, so I can listen to CDs through my new K701s through a to-be-determined headphone amp from my favorite chair.

So, does a headphone extension cable degrade sound quality? If so, how much?

I'm looking at the following cables: Cardas, DiMarzio Big Red, Cable Pro Earcandy, or Kimber PBJ.

All experiences and educated opinions welcomed!

Dave, who is breaking-in the K701s by playing hours of CDs in the background through an older player

Source: Arcam CD93 and TBD headphone amp

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 26
Extensions will degraded the sound for sure, but to what extend that is audible is the right question....

You do not need to spend big bucks on it, I have a DIY Canare starquad and Neutrik, that will beat in transparency any I have heard till the date...it is 30' long, and I have another like 20-25' long not sure, and none of the two offers any degree of sound degradation to my ears, and to all who have heard both, my test was done with my two Edition 9's, plugging one directly in the amp, and another on the extension, using the other jack of the amp, you twist the cable as to avoid knowing which is which, and listen to both carefully, the sound is identical in both cases to all the listeners till now that have tried them...

Grado states also that you can hook two Grado extensions together and no degradation is noticed....

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 26
I'll second the Canare/Neutrik recommendation. And you can get one custom made to length, and in the color of your choice, by Markertek. They have a "stock" extension using the Neutrik locking female, the Neutrik male, and Canare star quad, all in black.

And if you like, you can order one using the Canare/Calrad 1/4" silver-colored connectors and get it in white, to match your AKG. Be sure to specify the Calrad female, which matches the Canare very closely (the usual female end is the Switchcraft).

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of getting a headphone extension cable, so I can listen to CDs through my new K701s through a to-be-determined headphone amp from my favorite chair.

So, does a headphone extension cable degrade sound quality? If so, how much?

I'm looking at the following cables: Cardas, DiMarzio Big Red, Cable Pro Earcandy, or Kimber PBJ.

All experiences and educated opinions welcomed!

Dave, who is breaking-in the K701s by playing hours of CDs in the background through an older player

Source: Arcam CD93 and TBD headphone amp

I found a guy on eBay that makes extension cables from top quality cables, connectors and his craftsmanship is excellent. Here is the exact one I purchased from him, and he has many more in his store. Highly recommended!
Ultimate Headphone Extension 1/4" TRS Cable - 15 foot - (eBay item 140193790826 end time Jan-06-08 20:35:29 PST)

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 26
You won't be able to detect the slightest audible difference in any extension cable of reasonable length (short of it being defective.) Get the cheapest one that seems reasonably well-built, and use the leftover money on something (anything) else.

Yes, I know I'm wasting my time, but someone has to say it.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't be able to detect the slightest audible difference in any extension cable of reasonable length (short of it being defective.) Get the cheapest one that seems reasonably well-built, and use the leftover money on something (anything) else.

Yes, I know I'm wasting my time, but someone has to say it.

This is why I like the guy on eBay. His prices for quality are very good. For me, it was all about how well built they were. Extensions can take a lot of crap laying on the floor, so a quality build makes sense.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 26
Just keep in mind that the Canare and Belden are the cables used in recording studios for microphones, sometimes considerably longer lengths than any extension you can think off, and those are mean to carry weaker signal levels, an extension is used at the output, which signal is a lot stronger, so I see no reason to hear any degradation...but i know that soem may claim they do, and I would like to see them here detecting it....
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 26
The Neutrik connectors on the eBay Belden & Techflex cable are the same as those you can get on the Markertek cable, by the way. That guy also shows extensions using Canare star quad, without the Techflex.

The Markerkek stuff is assembled superbly, and they're fast, too. You have to call or e-mail/fax a form with your choices written in, and they'll get you a quote. A 10' custom extension made from the Canare and Neutrik costs $26. If you want the custom Canare with the Canare/Calrad ends, it's about $22. If you need the part #s, send me a pm.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JML /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Neutrik connectors on the eBay Belden & Techflex cable are the same as those you can get on the Markertek cable, by the way. That guy also shows extensions using Canare star quad, without the Techflex.

The Markerkek stuff is assembled superbly, and they're fast, too. You have to call or e-mail/fax a form with your choices written in, and they'll get you a quote. A 10' custom extension made from the Canare and Neutrik costs $26. If you want the custom Canare with the Canare/Calrad ends, it's about $22. If you need the part #s, send me a pm.

Its good there are more choices now. I liked the hand made by an expert thing the guy on eBay has going. I'm sure he's supplementing his retirement, which is cool too. My wife is a purple freak, so when I ordered mine, I also ordered her this one: Headphone Extension Cable 1/4" TRS Canare 15' VIOLET - (eBay item 140185867412 end time Jan-06-08 20:37:02 PST) It is really nice too.

The ONLY thing I will claim about the sonics of either of these, is there is no noticeable loss. Ow, and I do like the locking Neutrik connectors. I suppose the Techflex sheath on mine will keep it from snagging better than without, but both cables are really great.

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

To be sure, asks the new fella who is the OP, about these "locking Neutrik connectors": They take regular 1/4 inch plugs, like on my K701 headphones, right?

Right
wink.gif

Starquad cable is not necessary, might even degrade sound because of increased capacitance this type of cables have. Get just the regular microphone cable from Belden or Klotz (European equivalent to Belden).

I made my extension with Klotz MY206 professional mic cable, and Neutrik plugs. Cheap and as good as it gets!

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioRZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right
wink.gif

Starquad cable is not necessary, might even degrade sound because of increased capacitance this type of cables have. Get just the regular microphone cable from Belden or Klotz (European equivalent to Belden).

I made my extension with Klotz MY206 professional mic cable, and Neutrik plugs. Cheap and as good as it gets!

The Canare and Mogami (in some cases Belden) are the standard in studios, the Canare is like 40 cents a foot, I doubt you can get anything cheaper in Europe nowdays of the equivalent quality...yes the 1/4 plug is the same as the K701...

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

To be sure, asks the new fella who is the OP, about these "locking Neutrik connectors": They take regular 1/4 inch plugs, like on my K701 headphones, right?

Yes indeed. The locking connector is such a good thing for extensions. It is nice to know you will stay connected no matter who (like kids) or what (furniture) try to disconnect it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 26
All additional cable length and connectors degrade the sound quality. To what extend is really the question. I have a 5m extension cable that I use once in a while. To my ears there are no audible difference when I use the extension cable, compared to using no extension cable.

So the degrade is within non-audible range for me. But it might be different for other people and other gear...

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes indeed. The locking connector is such a good thing for extensions. It is nice to know you will stay connected no matter who (like kids) or what (furniture) try to disconnect it.
smily_headphones1.gif

For some headphones that is an advantage, for others is not, you take the chances of while pulling breaking the adapter that is screw in on some headphones, AKG IIRC uses them, Sony in some models, Beyer...I have seen a few of them broken...Not because of that, but they do get sometimes broken...I have a few of those adapters that I kept from my Sony, so if in any unfortunate case this happen to any of you guys just gimme a shout...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All additional cable length and connectors degrade the sound quality. To what extend is really the question. I have a 5m extension cable that I use once in a while. To my ears there are no audible difference when I use the extension cable, compared to using no extension cable.

So the degrade is within non-audible range for me. But it might be different for other people and other gear...

That was what I said, and I will add that not only me, but a few of my friends have tried my extensions, and none of them have been able to notice any difference, I do not believe that it is in the noticeable range neither, and for the ones who want to argue, I'm open to any test with you to see you fail as well...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back