Headphone dealer/store in Upstate, NY?
Dec 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have the name of a dealer in Upstate, NY that carries high-end headphone equipment (sans Guitar Center)?

There are so many headphones that I would like to demo, but I haven't had the opportunity.  In fact, I have never once tried a pair of Grados.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 12
Try the GradoLabs website for a list of dealers in NY state.  HTH.

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Depends on where you're located, there are quite a number of them. I spend my time roughly split between Broome County and the Capital District, and know of a few stores in both areas. Checking the Grado website for a local dealer, as suggested, is probably your best bet.

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Grado is just one manufacturer, but I would also like to demo some higher end Denons and Audio Technicas if possible.

FYI - I live in the Capital District.

Checking the Grado website now.

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 12
I'd also be interested in some high end headphone shops in ny.

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 12
I found a couple of Grado dealers in the Capital District (FYI: Last Vestige is listed as one of them, but I have never seen them in stock there.  Great record shop though!  Very hard to find vinyl).

Any other recommendations for other companies/dealers?

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 12
If you are near Rochester, NY:

SoundWorks 3400 monroe ave. They carry Grado's usually up to the 225i's but I also listened to and purchased the RS-2 there. They also had an Audio Technica woodie in there before, and carry dedicated headphone amps. 

The Stereo Shop 40 Jay Scutti Blvd. They carry various Grado's, some Senns and  Sony's, I purchased the Gr8's there. I have not been in there since this summer but they said they were going to get stock a set of the HD800's.

Both of the above stores have long term employees that  have been very knowledgeable and  friendly (and are headphone enthusiast) and have let me audition at my leisure. 

A few years back I went to Rowe Photo and they had the HD595's in Stock. They were also very nice and let me audition the phones.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:

SoundWorks 3400 monroe ave. They carry Grado's usually up to the 225i's but I also listened to and purchased the RS-2 there. They also had an Audio Technica woodie in there before, and carry dedicated headphone amps. 

The Stereo Shop 40 Jay Scutti Blvd. They carry various Grado's, some Senns and  Sony's, I purchased the Gr8's there. I have not been in there since this summer but they said they were going to get stock a set of the HD800's.

Both of the above stores have long term employees that  have been very knowledgeable and  friendly (and are headphone enthusiast) and have let me audition at my leisure. 

A few years back I went to Rowe Photo and they had the HD595's in Stock. They were also very nice and let me audition the phones.

Sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread, but do all the stereo shops carry those headphones in rochester or is it just the one on Jay Scutti?

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 12
Any good headphone shops that are closer to the Hudson Valley? Like maybe in Albany or close to that area?

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread, but do all the stereo shops carry those headphones in rochester or is it just the one on Jay Scutti?

Interested as well.  Thanks c540!  More details on the Rochester area audio scene, please!  I'm new to the area and this is a huge help! 
popcorn.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I am not sure. The Jay Scutti store is the only one I have gone to.

I first met one of the sales managers when he owned a small high end shop, I bought my 325i's from him. The internet put an end to that business. 

About SoundWorks on Monroe Ave:

When I first moved to Rochester,  I took a non-working, 20 year old B&W Dm220 speaker in for repair. They advertised that they were a B&W Dealer. 

They repaired it free of charge! When I asked if I could pay something, they insisted that it was only some rewiring and that they thought that the B&W 220's were worth saving!

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Interested as well.  Thanks c540!  More details on the Rochester area audio scene, please!  I'm new to the area and this is a huge help! 
popcorn.gif

Not much in the way of headphones but I highly recommend Great House of Guitars on tittus ave for your music needs. They have a pretty great selection. http://www.houseofguitars.com/newsite/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back