headphone DAC amp >> power amp >>bookshelf speakers
Jun 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

wintwu

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently have an Alessandro MS1, Ipod 5g LOD, mini3 amp setup for portable music.

Now I'm looking for a budget amp setup for home bookshelf speakers (have Castle Trent II's, maybe later get Fostex FE126E based speaks like tektondesigns).

Ideally would like a good home DAC headphone amp, power amp, bookshelf speakers, and if possible, the ability to hook up portable amps to the system (like mini3 or headstage arrow).

I've done a ton of research, and would love to hear your advice on a few things:

1) Using a DAC headphone amp as a pre-amp? Can I only do this if it has pre-amp RCA outs that I can then hook up to a basic power amp for driving speakers (what specifications to look for to make sure the RCA out is a line-out for the power amp).

Or is there an easy budget way of using any headphone amp. Most portable DAC headphone amps don't have line out. Can you in an additional small board at the right point in the circut. (I'm willing to do some basic kit/soldering work to get the ideal setup). I've read there are transformer kits too match impedeance or you can set a mid level gain setting to achieve this if it doesn't have a pre-amp out?

2) Using a DAC headphone amp w/pre-amp outs w/T-amp for power?   T-amps based on the Tripath 2020 chip seam quite popular. Should these be paired w/ a preamp or is it cleaner to pair with a power amp only?

3) Any opinions or recommendations on the following components?

USB/DAC amps with pre-amp?
Audio-GD Fun
Aune Mini MK2, hifidiy.net
Zero amp - ebay
NuForce Icon uDAC

NuForce Icon HDP  - more expensive
DR DAC2 DX  - more expensive

Power AMP only
Dayton APA150 150W
TrendsAudio TA-10.2P Class-T Power Amplifier 
The Gainclone amp LM3875 chip 55 watts

T-amps (integrated)
Muse M-30/Topping TP30 - think they're the same
Scythe SDA-1000 Kama Bay
Dayton DTA-100
TrendsAudio TA-10.2
Kingrex T20 - no headphone out though

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 2
After doing more searches, looks like I might get the Audio-GD Fun or Maverick amp, then hook up a power amp to the line out's. Also Maverick is coming out with a new 30w tube/headphone amp soon. so that might be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back