Headphone choices - Need help with some options (Home listening/DJ)
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

m00ninite

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, just joining this forum as I've gotten more and more into music over the last few years and been getting into some better equipment.  Planning on trying to do some home mixing on DJay or Tracktor off my Macbook Pro eventually but still kind of tinkering.  Either way, I don't have any crazy hardware or amp that I'm driving a pair of headphones off of so take that into consideration.

I started with a pair of Pioneer HDJ1000's but found they were uncomfortable over long periods and tended to be extremely muddy with heavy bass.  I moved to a pair of Sennheiser HD555's and fell in love, however there have been a few issues as of late.  I tend to enjoy a lot of electronic music like dubstep/bass heavy house so the Senn's fall a bit short in that category.  That and the non-coiled cord really has annoyed me more than expected.  So I've posted around a bit and been trying to get some opinions on a decent set of replacements that would not only keep the comfort and great sound of my HD555's but add some bass, a coiled cord, and perhaps go back to a closed ear which would be more optimal for any mixing I try in the future.

Initial thoughts were to stay with Sennheiser and go to the HD280-Pro but my friend has a pair and told me I wouldn't gain much in the bass department and really would only be getting a coiled cord and maybe slightly clearer sound that my HD555's.  That led me to start looking around a lot more into other companies I've had less experience with so that's where I need some help.  Right now after looking around what seems to be my top choice are the Audio-Technica ATHM-50.  Thoughts?  Am I going in the right direction?  Any help and just overall discussion would be great.  Thanks for all the help in advance and I look forward to chatting!

Edit ** As you may notice, the price range of the HD555's and the ATHM-50 are in that same ballpark and not really looking to spend over $150 on headphones currently so although there are some really high end choices out there, funds are a factor.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 13
Posting on a bunch of different threads but here's what I've gathered.. please chime in on this thread it would help me narrow my search!

Current headphones:

Sennheiser HD555 - Great comfort, clear sound, no amp needed.  Lack in bass department, no coiled cord.

Currently researching/considering:

Ultrasone HFI-580/Ultrasone DJ1 - Clear sound with good punchy bass, no amp needed, coiled cord (DJ1).  Perhaps not as much comfort?

Shure SRH750DJ - I have very little information on these, but spec wise seem better than the DJ1's.  Any more info on these would help.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Very comfortable, deep bass, coiled cord.  Not as clear in the mid/high, amp would be nice to help.

So, it would seem that my top choice would be the DJ1's right now since they would seem to be a nice upgrade from my Senn's without losing what I already have, but I would like to know more about the SRH750DJ's for sure.  Seems that these few are definitely the most sought after in this price range though.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 13
I used Pioneer HDJ1000's and now the HD555's and neither "clamped" too much really, it was just the Pioneer's were not around-ear so not good for long listening like the Senn's.  Trying to find something definitely on the HD555 comfort level if possible.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 13
If they are more comfy than the M50's then that is saying something because that is a large part of the love for the M50's I see.  Sound quality wise though I was told that they are very similar to the 580/DJ1's.. However after reading around more the Shure's one major complaint is lack of comfort lol..

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 13
M50's can't swivel sideways (afaik), this might be a turnoff. If you're going to use them as dj cans it's nice to be able to swivel one side away from the ear for split-cueing.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 13
I think honestly I'm leaning in the direction of the Ultrasones.  After reading around a lot more (had quite a bit of extra time on my hands at work today) I seem to find that people who enjoy heavy rock/metal and electronic music like dub and other techno have greatly reviewed the DJ1's as an amazing choice.  It has been confirmed that they are exactly the same as the HFI-580 but restyled and with a coiled cord.  Clear mids and highs while still giving a very nice punchy and solid bass for electronic music.  Comfort may not be quite as amazing as some open cans like my HD555's but have yet to read a real complaint that the DJ1's bothered anyone. 

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 13
Only real issue I see now is DJ1 vs DJ1Pro.  Really figured why not go with the Pro but what I read is the DJ1=HFI580, and the DJ1Pro=Pro555.  Now I am waiting for a response from Ultrasone to see what they say specifically about things, because although I believe the DJ1 to HFI580 comparison, I think that the idea people have of the DJ1Pro isn't the latest iteration of the can.  Looks to me like on their site now, both have extremely close specs and the only real variance is the impedance and the size of the can.  If there really is no different I don't see why I wouldn't go with the Pro's just for the few extra goodies and a larger can to make sure they are completely around my ears for maximum comfort.  Hopefully this is the case, but if not I'm back to the DJ1's and just have to then hope that they meet my comfort standards from the HD555's I wear now.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #12 of 13
Is there a reason it says I am over the posting limit on the classifieds even though I've never posted there?  I want to list my Sennheiser HD555's that are in flawless condition for someone who wants a good starter open ear.

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Only real issue I see now is DJ1 vs DJ1Pro.  Really figured why not go with the Pro but what I read is the DJ1=HFI580, and the DJ1Pro=Pro555.  Now I am waiting for a response from Ultrasone to see what they say specifically about things, because although I believe the DJ1 to HFI580 comparison, I think that the idea people have of the DJ1Pro isn't the latest iteration of the can.  Looks to me like on their site now, both have extremely close specs and the only real variance is the impedance and the size of the can.  If there really is no different I don't see why I wouldn't go with the Pro's just for the few extra goodies and a larger can to make sure they are completely around my ears for maximum comfort.  Hopefully this is the case, but if not I'm back to the DJ1's and just have to then hope that they meet my comfort standards from the HD555's I wear now.

I've been researching between the 580/DJ1's and the DJ1 Pro/Pro550's as well. From what I've read, the Pros have a wider soundstage and a more balanced sound while the non-pros (580's) have more bass and are more 'fun' sounding.

Here's a review for the DJ1 Pros: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536185/you-asked-for-it-you-got-it-ultrasone-dj1-pro-review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back