Headphone Buyer's Guide
Feb 15, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #241 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Folks,

New to the board here.
First just want to say, awesome list. I've been looking for a place where people know there stuff, and here I am
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, I'm looking for some In-Ear headphones to use w/ my phone (so nothing that requires an amp). I have some closed ear cans for home / DJing, so I just want some $100-200 in ears w/ a mic for call.
Obviously not needing an amp.
Main thing is I'd like to hear a very wide range of freq, but some decent bass would be next on the 'want' list. Noise isolating is not really a concern, as I'll be using these for commuting and would liek to know a little of what's going on around me, hah.

was looking at these options, but finding mixed reviews online.

Ultimate Ears-Metro.fi 150v ($60)

Ultimate Ears-IF-P5VSM0001-15 Super.Fi 5vi ($190)

Ideally they'd have a mic, but if they suck, these are some non-mic options I was looking at:

Shure e3c / 34c

Sennheiser IE6 ($160)

Sennheiser IE6 ($190)

Sennheiser CX 6 ($200)

of course, open to other options, but I would really like a mic.

I don't know much about In-ears, so I really don't know how much of a difference we are talking when going, say, from the $100 range to the $200 range. I have a feeling the cables won't last super long, so I don't wanna spend a lot on some decent In-Ears if the cable will frey within a couple months.

Thanks for the help guys
atsmile.gif

I think that a lot of people will direct you towards the NuForce NE-7ms. I haven't tried them myself, but they seem to be getting awesome reviews from other Head-Fiers.

They're under your budget (is that even a bad thing?), but I suggest looking at those first.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #244 of 355
As to the Sennheiser HD 280's:
I've found it depends a lot on the set up you're using. Standalone (ie. direct connect to audio out) I find the bass to be a pretty average, maybe even a little lacking.

With some amps I find that the bass is overwhelming (though that could be a function of the amp) even with the amp's bass balance all the way down.

With other amps I find the bass to be warm and full without being overpowering. So yeah.

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #246 of 355
hey guys can you recommend something in the under 150$ price range. SO far I'm debating between the grado sr60 grado sr80, Denon AH-D1001K, Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Sound isolation is not really an issue for. Just best sound quality. I am not set on anything on my list so if you guys can recommend me something I haven't thought of that's OK too.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #248 of 355
hi guys..
im new to this site...wanted to post a new thread bUt couldnt/didnt know how to.... stupid right??
anyway........i hope you can help me out of my misery... its been more then a month i have been searching for the perfect head set for mainly ipod but also for my laptop....what i need is the perfect sound... im basically into heavy metal and rock....

here is the main question....... i have been confused between grado sr 80 and sen hd 25/25 sp...i really wanted to buy the grado but as it is open it is not suitable for travel... cause at higher volume people around me can also hear what im listening to... and that can be pretty disturbing for others... and then again the sen 25 is too big in size and seems like its literally hanging on the head as i m fully unaware of its fitness on the head... so im basically narrowed down to sen 25 sp. ok!! now where the confusing part begins.... comparing with grado sr 80 and sen 25 with sen 25 sp the prob occurs in sound quality... it is pretty obvious that sen 25 sp would not have what the other 2 head sets have in sound quality.... then what strikes me are the noise canceling headphones... what i like? audio technica anc 7, jvc ha nc250, panasonic rp hc500, denon ah nc732(based on reviews)........ as i have said before i want sound to be just perfect and as being an international student in london money dose matter to me...so yes i can not exceed my price range of 100 pounds(may b 20 more on the sound quality but not more then that).... i have already gone half crazy looking for the perfect head set... different ppl has different opinion on different head sets... and this is making me more confused and crazy..... which is the best of all in sound and mobility?? help!!!

p.s. sound quality matters alot to me.... and then again i will be on the move in the day time so yes portability also matters but not as much as sound..... but the combination of these two would be perfect....

so..........................................???

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #249 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys can you recommend something in the under 150$ price range. SO far I'm debating between the grado sr60 grado sr80, Denon AH-D1001K, Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Sound isolation is not really an issue for. Just best sound quality. I am not set on anything on my list so if you guys can recommend me something I haven't thought of that's OK too.

I have ATH-M50, they are GREAT in almost every aspect: fair soundstage and vocals (maybe, not "sexiest" I've heard, but natural), piano sounds impressively flat in all registers (maybe, except the lowest), great separation, superb transients (i.e. snare attack, for instance). Overall presentation is detailed and consistent (unlike some Sennheisers I've heard - they separate parts in strange and unnatural way). The only thing that lacks is comfort - they are a quintessence of closed monitoring cans. But if your listening sessions don't exceed 1-2 hours, they hardly could be beaten sound-wise.

Also I have Grado/Alessandro MS-1, they are cheaper and much comfier. They sound most engaging with rock/metal (especially well recorded) but I couldn't consider them universal cans. They are great 'guitar-oriented' cans but lack something in the vocal department (vocals sound detailed but a bit synthetic compared to Audio-Technicas and, say, Shure IEMs) and soundstage is limited. But as 'bang-for-a-buck' they are irresistable.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #253 of 355
Hello. Here's my first post!

I don't really know anything about headphones except what I've learnt over the last 2 days.
Over the past 2 days I've read so much and looked at so many headphones i'm sure i'm going to start dreaming about them!

I've read the recommendations in this thread and this guide: Our 10 Best Headphones - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

My question (like everyone else) is what headphones should I buy?

I'm buying headphones because my next door neighbour (and downstairs roomates) regularly complain that my music is too loud. (oops) But I can't live without loud music so it's time to invest...

In order of priority I need:
- Good sound quality (I mainly listen to Drum&Bass and hip hop)
- Comfy
- Ideally I'd like to be able to use them with my ipod too.
- Ideallly they wouldn't leak (is that right?) so much that my roomate in the next room could hear them if he's trying to sleep. (the walls are an inch of plasterboard)
- Must look good!
- Durable

My budget is a maximum of $150

My shortlist so far is:

Denon AH D1001K
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
Sennheiser HD595
Audio Technica ATHM50

I'm sure I haven't looked at everything that would be suitable for my needs so any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

James.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #254 of 355
Add PXC 450/350 in 300+ section closed

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #255 of 355
I was looking through the list, wondering if I should post asking for suggestions, but I knew I needed closed headphones, and didn't want to spend more than $150, really the only pair that spoke out to me was the Sony MDR-V6's searched around the site and it got pretty good reviews from people, went with that and that they're only $75 on Amazon and boom tried them out yesterday. AMAZING. really I'll admit I have always wanted quality but never quite had the money, as most of my headphones are cheap Skullcandy's that I got on sale, and so I stick largely to my speakers, but now WOW the Sony's are my first choice, so much deeper in bass and higher in treble, as my speakers only go from 20hz-20Khz these headphones go from 5hz-30Khz and wow the difference is noticable, almost like a whole realm of music I didn't know existed even in low bit rates like 128Kbps. I can't believe I was so ignorant of true sound quality(as I thought I knew sound quality). Now I just need to save for a good amp.

Oh and they're comfy, kinda portable(it even comes with a leather bag), as they fold up and aren't the biggest closed headphones, good sound response for rock music (though I have mostly only tried out acoustic, ska, and punk) and this is only after threeish hours of burn in. most importantly, they're only $75 bucks, sooo nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back