Headphone balance issues
Jul 29, 2008 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

espire

500+ Head-Fier
I love my HD 555. I really do, even though the right driver has been noticeably louder than the left one ever since I purchased it (used). Since I only use it at home, there has never been much of an issue; I amplified the headphones with my Kenwood receiver, being fed from my computer, and adjusted the balance on the receiver. Once I realized that adjusting the volume on the receiver threw the balance off centre, I started using digital balance control on my Mac.

The digital solution works really well. When I adjust the volume on the computer, it automatically adjusts the balance to cooperate. Even better, adjusting the volume on the receiver won't change the balance on the headphones, even though the computer is not accounting for this. It would seem that the flaw, then, is inherent in the receiver's balance adjustment circuit, not analogue balance adjustment in general.

So I'm a bit worried. Why? At some point in the far future, I can see myself buying another pair of headphones. Perhaps from Grado, perhaps from AKG, it could be another brand; the point is that I'll be using two pairs of headphones from one setup. When this happens, I won't want to go into my sound preferences every time I switch headphones, and I won't want to use the balance control on my receiver.

A solution that my mind has though of is some sort of short extension cable for my HD 555 with an inline balance control, sort of like a volume control. I'd leave this on my Sennheiser headphones, and I'd never have to worry about adjusting balance again. However, I've never heard of such a thing, and there's not much reason for it to exist.

Do any fellow Head-Fi'ers have any ideas that might be helpful? I need a method to keep the balance of one pair of headphones adjusted, but that will only affect that one pair of headphones. That way, all I need to do to switch to a different pair is to switch to that different pair. I don't mind if the solution is not exceptionally Hi-Fi; it just needs to be effortless, and pretty, if possible.

I appreciate any help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 13
This probably won't help but have you tried taking them apart? I had the same problem a while back with my 555s so I opened them up and found that my left driver wasn't seated properly and was kind of just dangling. After putting it back in place it's been perfect. Good luck
smile_phones.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 13
The muter diaphragm likely does not have enough excursion depth, usually this is because of an unwinded coil or wrinkles on the diaphragm. There's less space for the diaphragm to move or its movement is constrained, hence it's muter. Either way, it's a sign the diaphragm had been overdriven in the past, or of a manufacturing defect.

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by googan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This probably won't help but have you tried taking them apart? I had the same problem a while back with my 555s so I opened them up and found that my left driver wasn't seated properly and was kind of just dangling. After putting it back in place it's been perfect. Good luck
smile_phones.gif

Googan... Believe it or not... I just did that...

And it worked! Just as your 555s' left driver wasn't seated inside the clip properly, nor was mine! I popped it in with a little bit of force, and bam, my headphones have become perfect!
beyersmile.png

You're amazing. Here's to you, and the random problems that we share!
biggrin.gif

---

Well folks, I guess this thread is ended. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Sorry for the bump, but I only registered here to say that I had this exact same problem with my HD555's, except that, as it turned out, it was the right side driver/coil/whatever that wasn't properly seated.

So thanks folks for this thread for giving me the idea to actually open the thing up and pop it back in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Bump again, cause I just had to complement you guys on finding the solution to a problem which I've had for almost half a year!

Thanks a lot folks for giving me this idea, now I can properply enjoy my wonderful HD 555 again
gs1000.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 13
hi all,
I just registered here to say thank you for the tip on fixing the headphone balance. I "fixed" my sennheiser hd280 by opening them up and adjusting the right driver. it was slightly loose.
god, I am so relieved. I sweated like a pig while opening it up. I really love my headphones and was scared of tearing up a cable or something, but eveything turned out perfectly and now I love them even more!

thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back