Headphone & amp synergy list.
Nov 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
IMO, synergy is more important than the model you buy. For example, my Denon AH-D7000 sounds great with my Bellari HA540 tube amp (upgraded to Mullard 12AX7 tube), but my Sony MDR-7506 sounds like crap with that amp. The Sony MDR-7506 sounds BEST through the headphone out on my Sony CDP-XA7es CD player, but the D7000 sounds awful on it.

I want this thread to be a list of headphones and amps that you EXPERIENCED good synergy when used together. I hope it will help me and others when picking out amps and headphones since most of the time we are buying something we can't audition locally.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 4
I like this idea.  After getting a couple different sources and pairs of headphones I now think it's basically useless to talk about headphones without talking about the source/amp aswell.
The source makes such a massive difference.

My AKG K601 sound great through my EMU0404 -> Little Dot MkII but there's not much bass.
Theres slightly more bass if I run the K601 straight from the EMU0404 Headphones port.
Best of all is when I run them through my Headstage Lyrix usb -> Little Dot MkII.
The headstage is so much bassier without sounding like the highs are missing anything.

My Grado SR225 sounds great straight out of the Headstage Lyrix usb.  I haven't really tested it through the Emu0404 and the Little Dot because the custom cable on the SR225 isnt really long enough.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 4
Preferred ... DAC1-Pre --> AH-D7000.  Luscious !

And ... iPod Classic --> M50.  Zowie ! (Although the M50 straight out of the Xonar is pretty extraordinary too!) 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back