Headphone amp suggestions for AKG Q701 & AKG K 181 DJ
Jul 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fiber404

New Head-Fier
I have been looking for an amp that I can use to drive a pair of AKG Q701's and a pair of AKG K 181 DJ headphones.

I'm looking to spend no more than $300, and would like a form if analog input (RCA) and a form of digital input (preferably S/PDIF). I'd prefer just a simple volume knob. 

I have read the Q701's are a very low ohm headphone compared to other's. If I am not using a pair of Q701's, it will be one of the K701/K702 products.

If I have to go to a DAC of some form - I'd consider that.

9/24/11 UPDATE:

I plan to use them in the following situations:

1) Hooked up to a Pro-Ject Phono Box for listening to music via my turntable.

2) Hooked up to a computer for listening to music from the computer.

I plan to have it hooked up to the computer for the most part. I am thinking of finding the right headphone amp first. 

Then find some sort of DAC device I can use to get analog audio to the headphone amp.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 16
I have the same question, I havent ordered the AKG Q701 yet because I want to buy the amp at the same time. Also I will order the Audinst HUD-MX1 because this review http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484235/review-audinst-hud-mx1-usb-dac-amp says it can drive them (AKG K702. I guess it would be the same for K701 and Q701) nicely (as I understood not idealy). but I'll get this dac/amp for my needs.But I need an amp to go with it so I CAN power my future AKG Q701 properly. I read that the Audinst HUD-MX1 + Matrix M-Stage are a good combo, but I dont know if that combo would be enough to drive the AKG Q701 properly. WIL IT???
Other combos I found was the Matrix Cube + Matrix M-stage, or AUNE mini + Matrix M-stage. Or the Carat-Ruby2 + Matrix M-Stage. or ANY other combination of these dac/amps. So far that is what I have found out to be "the best" for my budget which pretty much is 300 but I can wait other 2 weeks for other 250 if its necessary which makes 550  : P (not including budget for the AKG Q701).

well, any suggestions? will any of these combos be enough? which one will be the best one??? are there any others??
just remember that I WILL get for sure the Audinst HUD-MX1, or AUNE mini or the Matrix Cube (in that preference order coz of my needs and price)  but what I choose from those depends on what will be the best amp for them or maybe just wait the 2 weeks and get only ONE dac/amp for about 550

The thing is, I have read that the AKG K or Q701 or 702 are very good but the problem is driving them, so if I cant drive them properly there is no point on getting them.

fiber404, since we are in a similar situation, I hope my findings helped you out with names at least.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Subscribed,

I am very interested to hear the feedback from other owners on the K/Q701's.  I have Q701's and love sound, but I am now looking to get a dedicated AMP that will have significant power to bring them alive.

I use my PC or J3 to play mainly FLAC files for listening.  I am have been looking at the MATRIX but not sure it is right.  Also wondering if I need a DAC honestly? 

Any feedback on a AMPor DAC combo that can really let the Q's breath, so to speak would be great input.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 16
In the event you're going to limit your HF collection to the AKGs, the Schiit Asgard is a formitable choice, however, if you intend to expand your HF liabrary, the Lyr is an excellent choice.

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 16
I have K-701 with Little Dot MKIII and Audio GD Fun with OPA moon. Little Dot is no good with K701, but Fun is unbelieveably good with it. So I guess you might want to consider entry level Audio GD-products with your AKG-phones.

With fun you get an added bonus of a decent dac which I don't even use. But it might be useful for some people. And I must point out that OPA moon is really important for getting the best sound out of K701. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 16
This thread went quiet for a few days - but from what I've read I am leaning towards a Schiit Asgard. Decent price, fairly good reviews and isn't a tube amp (which is what I read aren't the best match for Q/K701/702's). I can go right out of my Pro-Ject Phono Box into the Asgard. Should sound pretty good.

The Audio-gd Fun has my eye - I looked at some of their other products. How much better is it than the Schiit Asgard though? It would allow me to use it as a headphone amp for the turntable and allow me to hook it up to the computer and have a DAC/headphone amp in one. I was going to get a DAC and hook it into the Schiit Asgard (it'd be on the computer 90% of the time).

Are the Audio-gd products ordered from Audio-gd shipped from Audio-gd in China?

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 16
I've done some more reading and the Asgard doesn't look like the most ideal fit for the K701's.

I'll do some more research this evening and we'll see what I find.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I've done some more reading and the Asgard doesn't look like the most ideal fit for the K701's.

I'll do some more research this evening and we'll see what I find.

In my experience tubes and the K-7XX are not a great or even a good combo, I'll recommend to get a Solid State amp for the K70XX.

1. SPL Phonitor / Auditor.( one of the best combo in the market for the, very flat and real sounding almost 0 sound coloration.
2. Luxman, both amp are a great combo.
3. Violectric V100 on the warm side, great bass and sound stage.
4. All the Meier audio amps are a good fit for the K-7XX series, start with the Headfive and up on the line.

DAC+AMP.

1. Grace 902,3
2. Apogee Mini DAC, Apogee Duet/2.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
In my experience tubes and the K-7XX are not a great or even a good combo, I'll recommend to get a Solid State amp for the K70XX.

True, i have been learning more about the Burson. Looks like a nice match. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the recommendations.

All of those are sadly out of my price range. If there was something in the $300 - $400 range, I would consider it.

Quote:

1. SPL Phonitor / Auditor.( one of the best combo in the market for the, very flat and real sounding almost 0 sound coloration.
2. Luxman, both amp are a great combo.
3. Violectric V100 on the warm side, great bass and sound stage.
4. All the Meier audio amps are a good fit for the K-7XX series, start with the Headfive and up on the line.

DAC+AMP.

1. Grace 902,3
2. Apogee Mini DAC, Apogee Duet/2.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm running my K702's through a Graham Slee Novo and it sounds fantastic. Using the quirky QA-350 as a source. The Slee is very clean sounding (all discreet - no op amps), and coupled with the minimalist design of the wav player the combo is punchy with zero background noise.  The Slee cost me $CAD 350.00.

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 16

I plan to use them in the following situations:

1) Hooked up to a Pro-Ject Phono Box for listening to music via my turntable.

2) Hooked up to a computer for listening to music from the computer.

I plan to have it hooked up to the computer for the most part. I am thinking of finding the right headphone amp first. 

Then find some sort of DAC device I can use to get analog audio to the headphone amp.

I'd like an IEC C13 connector for the power supply so I can move it back and forth with ease.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 16
701/702's have sounded really nice on Channel Islands amps.  VHP1 or VHP2 are within your budget, including the upgraded power supply (VAC1).  Good synergy here and an amp that does just as well with other 'phones too.

Edit:  I am referring to a pre-loved amp/ps being within the OP's budget.  

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 16
Slightly OT, but can anyone flesh out a bit *why* tube amps and the K7XX series are not a good match? 

edit: found some information related to OTL and overall impedence being driven by the tubes (and thus not matching well with the relatively low impedence of the phones) - but it seems there is wide disagreement over whether its totally a deal breaker, and obviously - some quite good amps get a thumbs up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back