Headphone amp recommendation for Sennheiser Momentum
Jun 17, 2013 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

tim79b

New Head-Fier
Hi All!

New blood here :)

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum cans (which are great!) and I'm thinking of picking up a headphone amp to go with them.

I have been considering one of the Ray Samuels amps - either the P51 or the Shadow...

Mainly just running off an iPod....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 59
Hi all - Been having a bit more of a look around the interweb about this question...

I know that the Momentums don't NEED an amp to get the drive they need, they are only 18 ohm after all.

I'm not necessarily looking for power, more quality improvement.

Any thoughts anyone may have on this, not just in terms of the amps I was considering, but any other options which may be worthy....

Looking at spending say about $400

Appreciate any help...

Thanks!!

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 59
I'm in the same boat, I play my music through my Iphone 5 and Macbook Pro, the Momentums sound great, but I'm wondering if I could get them to sound better. Have been looking at the V-moda Verza, its pricey, but my curiosity has my finger on the purchase button. Hoping someone will answer this soon, lol. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 59
Ordered a V-Moda Vamp Versa, should have it sometime tomorrow along with the V-Moda M100s. I will use the Verza with the Momentums and let you know how they affect the quality of sound, since my music is played through my iphone 5. I will also try the M100s with and without the Verza and post some thoughts. To be continued....

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 59
If you're after a fairly good amp for the price to drive your Momentums, I'd suggest trying this budget amp that offers fairly good performance and great battery life (100 hours) for the price, the C&C BH. It comes with three switches to play around with for the sound, so I guess that's okay if you're after something fun to play with.

It only goes for $100 and has many good impressions/reviews on it. I'll link you the thread to the people who own it and you can decide from there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 59
I'm using JDS C5 to drive the Momentum out of AK100, although the main duty of the C5 is to drive the TG!334.
Can't say anything bad about the amp, except maybe the short battery life of 10-11 hours per charge.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 59
I'm considering the Momentum headphones and would like an amp that will allow me to adjust Bass/Treble so that I can quickly dial-in a bias that suites the sound for a particular genre of music. I think the Momentum is especially good for acoustic, but believe that their excellent balance and range can be tweaked nicely to give better Bass for rock/electronic. Thereby giving me a really flexible headphone.

Using an EQ might give more granularity for adjustment than the use of Bass and Treble knobs, but it won't be anywhere near as practical methinks. One amp that comes to mind is the VorzAMPduo. Any thoughts?

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 59
Awesome, Nazeem and SkyBleu! Thanks for posting up about the BH. I am reading through the main thread after checking out the review and I'm going to order one. Do you have a link for a purchase?

I'll order the amp and go get the Momentums. How long did the amp take to arrive?

BTW, I've got a Nokia Lumia 920 phone and it does not drive the Momentums properly. Very faint and flat.

Cheers

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 59
Quote:
Awesome, Nazeem and SkyBleu! Thanks for posting up about the BH. I am reading through the main thread after checking out the review and I'm going to order one. Do you have a link for a purchase?

I'll order the amp and go get the Momentums. How long did the amp take to arrive?

BTW, I've got a Nokia Lumia 920 phone and it does not drive the Momentums properly. Very faint and flat.

Cheers

No problem! Glad you came to the right conclusion:)

Here is the link to the item on eBay from the dealer where most of us got it from:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/C-C-BH-Portable-Headphone-AMP-battery-AMP-CC-BH-NEW-/261172737290?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3ccf1bb50a

T
he amp should take around a week to two weeks (Don't quote me, but that's going accordingly to what others in that BH thread had taken to receive their amp).
I received mine within 7 business days, as it is shipped from China to Australia.

To my understanding, if your main source happens to be the Lumia 920, I'm quite certain that when amped with the BH, it should drive the Momentums nicely.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 59
Thanks mate, appreciated.

I'm in Canberra, so one to two weeks is going to be accurate for me, too.

I was also reading about the iBasso DX100. I found it by searching around for a good DAP solution. Totally at the other end of the spectrum though. And unbelievably heavy, too.

How do you like your Colorfly C3? I will be going overseas in a month and probably won't be taking my Lumia, so am looking for an alternative. Looked at the iDevices but they don't get a good rating for SQ. I imagine the Lumia is at a similar level, or worse. The Microsoft music player is ****house. Luckily, the Nokia music player is better. But, still loaded up with a music store and streaming options that get in between the launch screen and my music, grrr.

I'm actually surprised more and more vendors aren't releasing more DAP/DAC/AMP combos like the iBasso. Maybe this will change.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 59
Ah, that's good. Should be fine for you then, my friend.

Yeah, well the DX100 has been known for being a really good DAP, but the only let down, aside from teh size and weight, is it's price tag. 

As of the C3, it is a great little player:) Being a fairly cheap DAP, for the price, it is sure to be one of few top contenders in the price range ($0-$120).Although the only thing that isn't that great about it, is the UI. But aside from that, the SQ is a killer for the price as I had mentioned. Works incredibly well with the BH as you have seen in the thread which I will provide you. So really, you're doing yourself a favour by forming that combination between the BH and C3.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review#post_9018559
There you can see a fair amount of owners with the C3/BH combo.

Here's my rig with the V-Moda M-80's.

You can read more about the C3 in the thread itself, http://www.head-fi.org/t/637417/colorfly-c3-appreciation-and-discussion-thread.

Here is the link to the eBay listing, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COLORFLY-C3-24bit-WAV-APE-FLAC-MP3-HiFi-Music-Player-/380343844383?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item588e427e1f&_uhb=1&clk_rvr_id=495286757130.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 59
Thank you, SkyBleu. That's great information.

The C3 and BH2 look to be a really good-quality lower-cost combination. Perfect for driving the Momentum cans, and a great start for a beginner like me.

Cheers

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 59
Thank you, SkyBleu. That's great information.

The C3 and BH2 look to be a really good-quality lower-cost combination. Perfect for driving the Momentum cans, and a great start for a beginner like me.

Cheers

Indeed it is a low budget yet hood quality combo, my friend:) does many people well haha

It should drive your Momentums fine. Its highest output is 300mW. Should drive them easily.Lol

Anyways, hope I could contribute to making your decision easier to chose:)

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #15 of 59
Yes, definitely easier, SkyBleu. Thanks mate.

What format do you generally use? How much of your stuff is 24bit? Is 24bit going to make much difference at this level (Momentum/BH2/C3)?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back