Headphone Amp or sound card?
Oct 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AsadA203

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Well I posted a while back about my X-Fi Forte analog outs dying on me so I have been forced to use the DAC on my Z5500 (from the digital out of the X-Fi Forte) to power my HD 555s.  I have personally found the Logitech's headphone out to be awful compared to the Forte's headphone amp (well, obviously lol) and I have been considering to either replace the X-Fi Forte with a new soundcard or get a USB DAC.

I am leaning towards the USB DAC because I can use it with my iPod and my Macbook Pro but I am concerned if I will be able to purchase one that will be audibly onpar with my X-Fi Forte.  So far, I was considering the Fiio E7 but I am open to other suggestions. 

Thanks in advance.  

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Well I posted a while back about my X-Fi Forte analog outs dying on me so I have been forced to use the DAC on my Z5500 (from the digital out of the X-Fi Forte) to power my HD 555s.  I have personally found the Logitech's headphone out to be awful compared to the Forte's headphone amp (well, obviously lol) and I have been considering to either replace the X-Fi Forte with a new soundcard or get a USB DAC.

I am leaning towards the USB DAC because I can use it with my iPod and my Macbook Pro but I am concerned if I will be able to purchase one that will be audibly onpar with my X-Fi Forte.  So far, I was considering the Fiio E7 but I am open to other suggestions. 

Thanks in advance.  

For your computer you can get an Asus Xonar DG sound card, $20-$30.
A Fiio E6 for use with the iPod and Macbook Pro, $30.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.  

Not all DACs can be used with iPod.
A DAC can be used with multiple sources.
Mention your budget for more suggestions.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
For your computer you can get an Asus Xonar DG sound card, $20-$30.
A Fiio E6 for use with the iPod and Macbook Pro, $30.

That unfortunately won't work as I don't have any PCI slots on my mobo, it would need to be PCI-E (also am looking for a headphone amp that is on par or better than the Forte, even though I don't think my HD 555s will notice that too much).  

The Fiio E6 does look interesting though.  

Quote:

Not all DACs can be used with iPod.
A DAC can be used with multiple sources.
Mention your budget for more suggestions

Below $100 for a USB headphone amp.  I am flexible on a PCI-E soundcard with a headphone amp, although I don't want another Auzentech/Creative product.  

So is there a USB DAC/Sound card that supports ASIO?

Edit: I don't think the Fiio E6 will work since it only charges via the USB, it doesn't accept audio through it.  I would preferably want to bypass the analog audio out on a device like an iPod/Macbook/Galaxy S3 and get it right through the USB instead for no added distortion.  

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
That unfortunately won't work as I don't have any PCI slots on my mobo, it would need to be PCI-E (also am looking for a headphone amp that is on par or better than the Forte, even though I don't think my HD 555s will notice that too much).  

The Fiio E6 does look interesting though.  

Below $100 for a USB headphone amp.  I am flexible on a PCI-E soundcard with a headphone amp, although I don't want another Auzentech/Creative product.  

So is there a USB DAC/Sound card that supports ASIO?

Edit: I don't think the Fiio E6 will work since it only charges via the USB, it doesn't accept audio through it.  I would preferably want to bypass the analog audio out on a device like an iPod/Macbook/Galaxy S3 and get it right through the USB instead for no added distortion.  

There is the PCI-E version of the DG, called the DGX ($41)
You could always get the Essence STX for $180.
It $155 for an external DAC that works with portable Apple products and it's not really a "portable" DAC, for on the go.
I'm not sure you can bypass the Galaxies built in DAC, but I'm going to double check on that.
The Fiio E10 ($66) USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier should be able to work from the Macbook's USB output.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info.  I think I will just go with the STX then, it seems to have a lot of fixes that the Forte should have come with and hopefully should last longer than my Forte.  I think I will go with the Fiio E7/E10 for my portable gear.  

I am pretty sure the S3 can have the DAC bypassed via USB when I was researching it on XDA, that would definitely suck if I was wrong :frowning2:.  That was one of my big complaints with older Android phones.  

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the info.  I think I will just go with the STX then, it seems to have a lot of fixes that the Forte should have come with and hopefully should last longer than my Forte.  I think I will go with the Fiio E7/E10 for my portable gear.  

I am pretty sure the S3 can have the DAC bypassed via USB when I was researching it on XDA, that would definitely suck if I was wrong :frowning2:.  That was one of my big complaints with older Android phones.  

I've heard the newer Galaxy does have digital audio output with it's USB port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back