Headphone Amp for Grado HP-2
Oct 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

champ

Head-Fier
I am new to this forum and audiophile stuff--mostly because I have been more interested in headphones and paid less with other stereo system stuff. Portability is very important to me so I have never looked into high end home audio equipment, but to get a decent listening setup I have been interested in a pair of good headphones and a good headphone amp. I will work on getting a player as I learn more--so assume I am starting with an iPod for now.

I have acquired a pair of Grado HP-2. I understand the Melos SHA-1 is the amp to get for these headphones but it is rather large (compactness is important to me) and I am not sure if I need a non-iPod player (and other equipment) to fully use it with the Grados. I am also interested in the Grado RA-1 amp--which is compact, aesthetically pleasing, affordable, and I can figure out how to hook it to my starter player of an iPod.

I would go for a Graham Slee Voyager portable amp in a heartbeat, but I am wondering if I should move up to the the RA-1. Is there another amp I should consider, or hunt down a Melos at all costs because I would not be happy with an RA-1 or other. Of course if a Graham Slee Voyager would do the trick for now, please let me know as I can then use that amp for commuting as well.

I know the three amps I named are like beer, wine and champaign...but I thought I'd throw it out there. Order of priority at the moment: compactness, acceptable sound for Grado, aesthetics, cost.

I am new to this forum so give me I nudge if I posted this in the wrong place/inappropriately etc.

Thanks

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 15
Congrats on the purchase.

There are so many choices for amping the HP2. You really should do a search, or PM the people who owns HP2s.

Any recommendation you might get are purely dependent on people's taste and their choice of music -- which may match yours, or may be the total opposite.

Grado HP2 is considered one of the best headphones made, and people don't usually plug them into small amps like the Voyager or the RA-1.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 15
Move right pass those two, get the Melos SHA-Gold.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 15
The Melos needs to be modded by someone very familiar with the "Carlo" mods to them (Carlo disappeared years ago - but REALLY knew what to do). Otherwise, my preference has been EAR HP4 with the two rear tubes replaced by Tung Sols.........yeah, my HP-2 were re-calibrated by Joe Grado last year.
RA-1 for HP-2 - a definite NO.
I can also mention that in Joes' mic trials that he has used Grace 902 with his HP1000.

Additionally, you should read this old thread, mainly between Carlo and Hirsch
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...al-meet-19944/

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 15
What's your budget?

And why the insistence on compactness? The HP-2 is one of the finest headphones ever made - if you want to get the best from it, you're going to want to run it from a decent amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for your responses. From what I read, I see I will simply have to separate my mobile setup amp from the one for the HP-2 (um...don't think I will risk wearing those out on the street)...so RA-1 and Voyager is out of the question for now and the hunt for a full amp will begin. Budget...ugh under $1k would be ideal...but I have a feeling it's going to be more.

Having said that, if I pursue a full size amp, I'm guessing that means don't listen to music through an iPod hooked to a full size amp and HP-2?

Thanks for the suggestion--yes, I really should start with a search.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Melos needs to be modded by someone very familiar with the "Carlo" mods to them (Carlo disappeared years ago - but REALLY knew what to do). Otherwise, my preference has been EAR HP4 with the two rear tubes replaced by Tung Sols.........yeah, my HP-2 were re-calibrated by Joe Grado last year.
RA-1 for HP-2 - a definite NO.
I can also mention that in Joes' mic trials that he has used Grace 902 with his HP1000.

Additionally, you should read this old thread, mainly between Carlo and Hirsch
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...al-meet-19944/

Your "recalibrations" by Joe last year--is this the $1500-2000 "tweak" that has been mentioned in the forums recently? You have an HP-2i?

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 15
A Moth Audio S2A3 would be drool-inducing with the HP2. I couldn't afford one of those, so for my HP2's, I got a used Opera Consonance Cyber-30 2A3 tube amp for well under $1K, and haven't looked back. (The headphone output was quite loud with the low impedance Grados, so I tweaked the headphone output resistors to optimize the volume control range.)

In addition to headphones, 2A3 tube amps can drive speakers very nicely (within their meager power limitations), so they can serve double duty for headphones and nearfield speakers, ideal for a desktop environment.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Benny from Amina audio does mod on Melos. I am getting my Sha-Gold back next week. Hope it will come closer to FallenAngel's one in sound quality.
smile.gif

Amina-main

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 15
EarMax Pro? Ugh yes...it's the compact and aesthetic thing. I want a decent setup but hoping to avoid accumulating piles of equipment that requires storage space in my small apartment. This may not be achievable though...judging from the enormous lists of equipment everyone seems to have!

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 15
If you want a "forever" amp - amongst what I mentioned earlier was my EAR HP4. Using it with both HP-2, and was surprised to also particularly like it with X-Deep Darths/600ohm. Enjoy it soo much I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one to use in another location.....my other fave (not for low ohm headphones) is a Ming Da MC84c07. When I get around to it- the other amps (and a couple pairs of h'phones) will be advertised for sale.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 15
A $5k amp?! Yikes!!! BushGuy--sorry I missed your mention of HP4 the first time.

I've taken a closer read about it and I don't think there's any turning back! Thanks alot!! *Gulp*. But seriously, I do appreciate it because I would prefer getting a "forever" amp than a pile of different ones. I am impressed it has 4 jacks to take 2 high and 2 low impedence headphones (oh the temptation to acquire more...)--not sure if that is a common thing since I am a total newbie but I like it. Also LOve the shiny chrome front too.

Won't be able to afford one right away though
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #14 of 15
I hate to wheedle on the parade with another amp made of "unobtanium", BUT I love the sounds the HP-2 makes while mated to my Berning Micro-Zotl!

Hasn't been made in a while, and rare to find used, but it really fleshes the tone of the musical script. Yup it's my favorite way to slow simmer the HP-2!

Also, because it sifts out the notes of the Audio Technica woodies with equal measure....Yup, one for the ages...
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #15 of 15
Anyone know what a Grado HPA-1 goes for these days if I should EVER be so lucky to find one? I guess I should find out before I post a WTB.

Don't get me wrong, it's going to be EAR HP4 all the way...except it's going to be quite a loooong ways away and I want something SS and somewhat transportable (if necessary) for the interim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back