Headphone advice (Fiio m6)
Jan 4, 2020 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Johnnn

New Head-Fier
Hi! New on the forums. Help would be much appreciated

I have ordered a Fiio m6 and will be looking to get a good pair of in-ear headphones to use with it, when I’ve received the m6 and have an idea of its sound. The cheaper the better, but good. My apologies for the lack of succinctness below

To the point: I have been scouring forums and reviews of the m6 and headphones alike and I still don’t feel any wiser as to which in-ears might suit me. I am definitely an amateur in this, though I am a musician and not an undiscerning listener. Current (probably laughable) setup is Tidal on an Ipad Air and Sony mdr-ex650 headphones. I feel among other things they are lacking in high end detail, though they have some nice qualities.
My previous headphones were Sennheiser cx 5.00i and I loved them for their comfortable but good sound, though the cable was a joke so not getting another pair. Looking for an upgrade over both but on a budget.

New to the hifi world, don’t know what to expect from any better specced headphones.

I want them to be comfortable enough for longer listening sessions, with good emotional delivery of vocals male and female, and I also want them to convey complex arrangements in different genres reasonably well, mostly acoustic-ish but all sorts really. I will also be using them to “take apart” arrangements and learn guitar parts. If mandolins sound like mandolins that would also be a plus. Durability and portability too. I do like some sub-bass, but not at the expense of other registers.
Been looking at a few of the models from Fiio, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Shure, among others. Would be loath at the moment to spend more than 150 £, any recommendations sub 150-ish? No real preference for any particular brand, though I suppose the well established ones would be easier to find stockists for.

Any help MUCH appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi! New on the forums. Help would be much appreciated

I have ordered a Fiio m6 and will be looking to get a good pair of in-ear headphones to use with it, when I’ve received the m6 and have an idea of its sound. The cheaper the better, but good. My apologies for the lack of succinctness below

To the point: I have been scouring forums and reviews of the m6 and headphones alike and I still don’t feel any wiser as to which in-ears might suit me. I am definitely an amateur in this, though I am a musician and not an undiscerning listener. Current (probably laughable) setup is Tidal on an Ipad Air and Sony mdr-ex650 headphones. I feel among other things they are lacking in high end detail, though they have some nice qualities.
My previous headphones were Sennheiser cx 5.00i and I loved them for their comfortable but good sound, though the cable was a joke so not getting another pair. Looking for an upgrade on both but on a budget.

New to the hifi world, don’t know what to expect from any better specced headphones.

I want them to be comfortable enough for longer listening sessions, with good emotional delivery of vocals male and female, and I also want them to convey complex arrangements in different genres reasonably well, mostly acoustic-ish but all sorts really. I will also be using them to “take apart” arrangements and learn guitar parts. If mandolins sound like mandolins that would also be a plus. Durability and portability too. I do like some sub-bass, but not at the expense of other registers.
Been looking at a few of the models from Fiio, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Shure, among others. Would be loath at the moment to spend more than 150 £, any recommendations sub 150-ish? No real preference for any particular brand, though I suppose the well established ones would be easier to find stockists for.

Any help MUCH appreciated!

Cheers

AKG K550 Mk2.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi @Johnnn,

For your budget & preferences, I recommend the following in no particular order :

iBasso IT 01
ISN H40 (Worth stretching your budget a little for)
Vain Sthlm Originals
Meze 12 Classics

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back