Headfive Synergy?
Nov 16, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Is it just the HD580 and HF-1 or is that representative of the rest of the Senn and Grado line as well?

Sorry Milkie, I haven't tried the others. But I wouldn't be surprised if HD600 was just as great. HD650 might turn into utter syrup though... As I've also listened to the SR325i extensively (without the HeadFive), I think it might also benefit from the soft presentation.

Nov 16, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
All my cans, except the HD-650, sounded great with the Headfive.

What was it you don't like about the HD-650 and H5 combination?

I was thinking of buying my friend's 650s when he replaces them later..

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat
Sorry Milkie, I haven't tried the others. But I wouldn't be surprised if HD600 was just as great. HD650 might turn into utter syrup though... As I've also listened to the SR325i extensively (without the HeadFive), I think it might also benefit from the soft presentation.

If that's so, then the H5 would be brilliant for the K701. What the K701 need is a bit of warmth and more mush
cool.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
If that's so, then the H5 would be brilliant for the K701. What the K701 need is a bit of warmth and more mush
cool.gif

And this is precisely what some users have been reporting. I would love to hear the combo.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 34
My opinion of the HeadFive which I regard highly I might add, and cans that I found to be best together follows:
The H5 due to its buffered supply (68x) incorporated, does add a lushness (tubey) mushiness which is so pronounced with the HD-650s and to a lesser extent the HD-580s they both were happily replaced by the K701s for their more balanced frequencys and synergy, providing an open and more airy presentation. I totaly agree this is an excellent match with the H5 along with the DT-990s, which I've found to be an even more so, great match together. So, it doesn't suprise me in the least that reports of the MS1, and such slightly tipped brighter phones doing so well mated to the H5. Again, if you prefer that bias and associated gears and recorded material lend themselves to the pairing I recomend the audition. I can understand some folks enjoyment and liking the 580s with the H5, but NOT the 650s as the syrupy bass invades upon the mids even more so than with the former IME. Heck, the 501s brighter clear midrange nature and light bass is firmed up by the H5s nature, making for an excellent pairing and even more so, with the addition of the 701 pads reinforcing their lower frequencys...YMMV

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

McRat: And this is precisely what some users have been reporting. I would love to hear the combo.

I have been listening to a H5/k701 combo for a number of months now, and I have to say from a strictly personal point of view I am very happy. Without getting into details about synergy or even burn in (still somewhere under 300 hours, but who cares), I can safely say that I look forward to listening to music more than ever before. Better systems? Sure, of course; but given the price at which the H5/k701 can be had, it's damn hard to be dissappointed. Though it is a subjective opinion, to me there's no better validation for equipment than when I stop thinking about it and resume the chase for new music.

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was it you don't like about the HD-650 and H5 combination?

I was thinking of buying my friend's 650s when he replaces them later..

I guess you could say they become overly warm, with wooly bass, when paired to the H5. To my ears, the combo sounded very (very) uninspiring and is a far cry from how these phones can really sing under my other amps.

Regards.

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #24 of 34
The Beyerdynamic DT880 sounds really nice with the HeadFive. It's a very revealing headphone and the HeadFive adds a touch of warmth and drives them nicely. With the 2003 DT880 at $149, you can't go wrong.

Also, as has been mentioned previously, Grados are a nice match. I use it with both the HF-1 and RS-1.

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyerdynamic DT880 sounds really nice with the HeadFive. It's a very revealing headphone and the HeadFive adds a touch of warmth and drives them nicely. With the 2003 DT880 at $149, you can't go wrong.

Also, as has been mentioned previously, Grados are a nice match. I use it with both the HF-1 and RS-1.

I agree with you about the beyers, it also brought out the details.
I've heard the headfive with a ms2 as well and the bass was tight but not overwhelming.

Nov 17, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you could say they become overly warm, with wooly bass, when paired to the H5. To my ears, the combo sounded very (very) uninspiring and is a far cry from how these phones can really sing under my other amps.

Regards.

Hmmm... At the moment I'm pairing H5 with HD595 and after hearing my friend's HD-650, I find the HD595 to be lacking in detail and bass. Although the bass on the HD-650 seems a little too much, I think I can live with that.

From what people have said, the H5 is quite a warm and tube-like (though I've never heard a tube amp before) but I tend to disagree... Maybe it's the 595..
confused.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Although the bass on the HD-650 seems a little too much, I think I can live with that.

What about the HD580 or HD600 then?

Quote:

From what people have said, the H5 is quite a warm and tube-like (though I've never heard a tube amp before) but I tend to disagree...

Claims about amplifiers are often grossly overstated. The colouration is not that bad IMO.

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

From what people have said, the H5 is quite a warm and tube-like (though I've never heard a tube amp before)

I have the h5, and to think about it, knowing the traits of tube amps and having had the h5 for a while now, I can agree with what the people say. I think I should add that the changes with the h5 are extremely subtle to my ears, but after listening to music for hours per day for weeks, I KNOW what I hear, so to speak. I have the dt770/80
redface.gif

*edit* Ok, I'm now using my dt770/80 unamped through my x-fi. Here are my initial impressions, after a month and a half of hundreds of hours of use with my headfive. The bass is harder hitting. The mid-range has a LOT more detail. For instance, in my favorite game Quake 2, the footsteps unamped have a sort of sticky, rich sound, and isn't wrought in high pitchness(being that my dt770/80 is a bright can, an amp naturally brings this out). With the headfive, everything in the soundspectrum has a high pitch added on to it. But at the same time, the headfive softens the high end of my dt770/80. Which do I like? Well, I like a harder treble but richer midrange. Also, the soundstage is much compressed without amping vs amped. BUT, the soundstage is rich, everything is rich, without the Corda headfive. Once again, these changes are subtle but definite. Overall, with the headfive, the sound is umm, mellower, while without it, the sound is detailed and rich. It's like gravy is tossed on top of the sound with the headfive. But once again, this change in sound is VERY subtle. YMMV=]

O yea, on the soundstage. With the headfive, I notice the sounds are more seperated and dispersed. Hence, a bigger soundstage. Without it, my dt770 makes everything sound molded together, but still seperated enough to hear each instrument clearly. And the overall space everything takes place in is smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back