Headfive Synergy?
Nov 15, 2006 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Spook 4 15

New Head-Fier
I was looking into buying a new set of cans and was wondering which headphones sound best out of a Headfive. I listen to alot of Zeppelin, Miles Davis, and the Grateful Dead also. So mostly rock and jazz. I have been currently looking into the Grado SR 225 or the Sennheiser 580 or 595 but just wanted to know what headphones benefit the most from a Headfive.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 34
580s should pair nicely too......because of your music tastes, I recommend them. They have a nice soundstage and bass response for jazz. They're really great for accoustic rock as well.......anything that uses percussions a lot.

Grados are the opposite end of the spectrum...they're very bright and forward. So they're most popular for hard rock and heavy metal. You might like them for some of your rock choices, but I think Senns are the clear winner for accoustic and jazz.....IMHO of course!

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 34
I've not run Zepellin or Miles through my Headfive and MS-1s yet, but after a hard session with the O'Rourke-era Sonic Youth albums, some late-period Talk Talk b-sides (very spacious and jazzy) and some MAKE-UP, particularly the gospel/punk/jazz/soul Save Yourself, last night, I'd throughly recommend the MS-1s. The control, slam, detail and space through the Headfive are gorgeous.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 34
Straying from your list of prospective headphones, the HeadFive goes great with the UE Super.fi 5 Pro IEM's. These two seem to derive the best of each other's respective stengths when put together.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 34
I had a great time with Grados through the Headfive.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 34
With headfive, I still say HD580....I think you'll appreciate its soundstage/ bass

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spook 4 15
Ok well what about AKG and Senns I dont think the Grado sound is for me

Just put an order down for one. I'll be able to tell you how they sound with the 701s soonish...

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 34
If you don't mind Circumaural cans.. Senns are great. I've only had my 595's for a day and I'm already madly in love with them!

I prefer them for rock over my DT770's, especially rock with lots of vocals and highs. Any rock that has nice drums and bass stuff, I throw the 770's on. But overall, for just straight music listening, I think the HD595 is a GREAT headphone. I'm still burning mine in but so far, I'm in love!

If you have any questions or anything about either of my headphones/gear you can always PM me, I have no problem answering questions
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 34
Yeah....I can answer this since I have a 595 and 580! They're both good headphones....just the 595s are a bit better for some genres of rock and some genres of classical. I like the 580s for ambience, jazz, and guitar. Hence, why I think you might just favor the 580s. The 595 has similar bass to the 580...it just has a slightly smaller soundstage and is brighter (so they're good for heavier rock). They're still not Grados, but they're more "fun" for certain rock genres.

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat
HD580 and HF-1 both seem to have great synergy with this amp.

Is it just the HD580 and HF-1 or is that representative of the rest of the Senn and Grado line as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back