HeadAmp Pico Slim Portable Amplifier
Aug 25, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #333 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Just so I understand you correctly, when you say "top" and "bottom," are you referring to orientations with respect to the DAP or something else?

Yeah. Say I velcro'd it to the back of my iPod. I would prefer to have as tiny an LOD as possible, going straight from the LO port right into the input, like half an inch away. Then the output and volume would be on top, so I could stick the whole thing in my pocket and use it just as easily as I would use my iPod (or even more easily!). Location of possible bass boost isn't as important as it'll be left on (if using my E4c, as long as it's a moderate bass boost, such as the T4's). That'd be the perfect amp for me. Being able to operate from inside my pocket is very important to me. I'd probably have to build such an amp myself though
wink.gif
I'm by no means a DIYer though, don't even own a soldering iron.

This is all very OT though. The Pico Slim looks like it's going to rock...but I'm sure it's too rich for my blood.
frown.gif
I could barely bring myself to buy my $100 (with 3 year contract) enV3 yesterday.
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #334 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, what did I say or what did I miss?

Surely nothing at all.

Seriously, is there not even an estimated date for these? It was once "late summer." I don't mean to rush; I'd just like to have some order in my life.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #335 of 1,103
Justin - Is it posible to buy battery for the Pico DAC/Amp from you?
And if yes, how much it cost?
If not, where can I buy one than?

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #336 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. Say I velcro'd it to the back of my iPod. I would prefer to have as tiny an LOD as possible, going straight from the LO port right into the input, like half an inch away. Then the output and volume would be on top, so I could stick the whole thing in my pocket and use it just as easily as I would use my iPod (or even more easily!). Location of possible bass boost isn't as important as it'll be left on (if using my E4c, as long as it's a moderate bass boost, such as the T4's). That'd be the perfect amp for me. Being able to operate from inside my pocket is very important to me. I'd probably have to build such an amp myself though
wink.gif
I'm by no means a DIYer though, don't even own a soldering iron.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #337 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely nothing at all.

Seriously, is there not even an estimated date for these? It was once "late summer." I don't mean to rush; I'd just like to have some order in my life.

Justin hasn't missed his time frame yet. It's still summer. But I am also anxious for the ordering opportunity.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #341 of 1,103
when would we get to know the actual and pre-order pricing?

i am going away on field research (in a remote area) in a month's time; would be nice to get one before that. don't want to miss the pre-order price while I am away.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #342 of 1,103
$300 is a sweet price point. and hope it produces better SQ - warmer as HPA mentioned - than the original pico headamp.

Justin, how's the sound signature (vis-a-vis the original pico) of the latest prototype/ built you have?

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #343 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxophone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$300 is a sweet price point. and hope it produces better SQ - warmer as HPA mentioned - than the original pico headamp.

Justin, how's the sound signature (vis-a-vis the original pico) of the latest prototype/ built you have?

I have not announced a price yet, but I have said it will be in line with my other portable amps - despite the much higher cost of parts of the Pico Slim, and time spent designing it. I would say it sounds a little warmer than the original Pico, but I am focusing on the experience of using this amp with IEMs and other sensitive headphones.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #345 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
despite the much higher cost of parts of the Pico Slim, and time spent designing it.

I like that! When I build/sell PCs I take the same approach. Give them more performance for the $ no matter how long it took to get the right parts and tweak appropriately. It can be very satisfying. Can't wait for your amp to hit the market.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back