HeadAmp Pico Slim Portable Amplifier
Jun 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #91 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No comparison - the T4 is on the level of a D2 Boa, and the Pico slim is higher up there with the best of the portables. When I get a slim I'll cancel my order for the Xin Super Mini.

That's what I wanted to hear. Hope the pre-order thread don't start during the 2 weeks in July when I'm totally off-line while on scout camp with the rest of my family.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #92 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by markh78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, seems like a sure winner.
All I need to know now is how much is it and when can we start to preorder one
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I wanted to hear. Hope the pre-order thread don't start during the 2 weeks in July when I'm totally off-line while on scout camp with the rest of my family.

Justin still has to do analysis of the parts cost and casing before he has a price. I would pay $350 for one without complaint, maybe more. Justin said by the end of summer - which I take to mean before the end of August. But that is my own interpretation, not what he said.

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #93 of 1,103
Quote:

Justin still has to do analysis of the parts cost and casing before he has a price. I would pay $350 for one without complaint, maybe more. Justin said by the end of summer - which I take to mean before the end of August. But that is my own interpretation, not what he said.

Ok, Larry, here's an unfair question! From memory, what is your impression between the P51, D10 and the Slim? Of course the Slim is not yet a fully realized product, but any thoughts? Also what was your impression of the volume control?

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #94 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, Larry, here's an unfair question! From memory, what is your impression between the P51, D10 and the Slim? Of course the Slim is not yet a fully realized product, but any thoughts? Also what was your impression of the volume control?

The P-51 is more aggressive sounding than the Slim or original Pico, and although the P-51 soundstage is bigger than the Predator or stock D10 (Predator Clone) it is still more forward sounding than the Pico Slim. So, the soundstage of the Slim seems similar to the larger soundstage of the original Pico, but with a warmer more solid grounded sound to it. I thought it was a definite improvement over the original Pico, just like I think the P-51 is an improvement over the Predator.

I was joking with Justin at CanJam telling him, "Your slim sounds warmer and more like an RSA amp now, and I like it better than the original now", and he looked at me like I was serious.
tongue.gif
What I was serious about is that I like it more than the original Pico, and think it will pair with my Pico DAC only quite well.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #96 of 1,103
This is a seriously tempting proposition for me, now I'm liking ESW10JPN's and have HF-2's on the way.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #98 of 1,103
Quote:

The P-51 is more aggressive sounding than the Slim or original Pico, and although the P-51 soundstage is bigger than the Predator or stock D10 (Predator Clone) it is still more forward sounding than the Pico Slim. So, the soundstage of the Slim seems similar to the larger soundstage of the original Pico, but with a warmer more solid grounded sound to it. I thought it was a definite improvement over the original Pico, just like I think the P-51 is an improvement over the Predator.

I was joking with Justin at CanJam telling him, "Your slim sounds warmer and more like an RSA amp now, and I like it better than the original now", and he looked at me like I was serious.
tongue.gif
What I was serious about is that I like it more than the original Pico, and think it will pair with my Pico DAC only quite well.

I must admit that I was joking a bit too
smile.gif
. It's always a sketchy proposition discussing something that isn't quite "production," but it sounds like most of the engineering of the Pico Slim is beyond the "alpha" stage. And from reading your posts on amps and headphones, our ears seem similarly tuned. (The ES3X and Pico were good choices for me
biggrin.gif
)

I've been looking to add another portable to my collection, and this looks pretty tempting. (I'm also looking to add a reference desktop amp, which we'll leave for another post).

I like what I'm reading about the Pico Slim so far! The combination of the Pico Slim and the Pico standalone DAC might turn out to be a killer combo!

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #99 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some ideas. These are all things that could be added later. Right now, the priority is just getting the Pico Slim finished.

- Left/right balance adjustment. I have seen several people ask about this recently. It could be adjusted through the USB port.

- Change the volume control. You probably don't want to do this, since the Pico Slim already has 255 steps, 0.5dB between each one, and 110dB attenuation and nothing comes close to that kind of precision adjustment. But if you wanted to, you could change it so it only has 23 steps, and set it up so that it emulates a DACT Stepped Attenuator exactly. Or maybe you find even though the Pico Slim has so much adjustment, you still only ever use the area between 10-12 o'clock. Well you could customize it so that 10-12 o'clock becomes the entire 300 degree rotation of the volume control.

- Scare your friends by making the volume go full blast 1 minute after power on. Not recommended.

- Count the number of times the battery has been charged

ah very cool any chance we will be able to change the signature of the amp like a internal eq or no? I am thinking not

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #101 of 1,103
How about a page from Practical Devices and include:

Flashlight mode for the LED
Battery level indicator via LED
Wrist-watch phone
Beer bottle opener
Or just the first two would be fine...

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #102 of 1,103
lol HeadphoneAddict wants a swiss army knife version, so with the flashlight and battery level indicator i wouldnt mind a emergency GPS signal for the police with a website to find my amp if i drop it somewhere ... a flathead and philips screwdriver that pops out when you press a button and a knife too. if i think of anything else i'll add it later
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #104 of 1,103
Quote:

The P-51 is more aggressive sounding than the Slim or original Pico, and although the P-51 soundstage is bigger than the Predator or stock D10 (Predator Clone) it is still more forward sounding than the Pico Slim. So, the soundstage of the Slim seems similar to the larger soundstage of the original Pico, but with a warmer more solid grounded sound to it.

thats the reason why i sold my P51. i prefer a warmer amp. very anxious to see this coming..
beerchug.gif
cheers justin.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #105 of 1,103
Would be great to add programmable buttons for turning on/off on-the-go any future features you might add through USB .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back