HeadAmp Pico Slim Amp: Pre-Order Requests
Feb 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #721 of 2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the "finish" that you're seeing in these images is actually raw aluminum and is not representative of what the final silver finish will look like. Hopefully Justin can confirm that.

Also the Slim wasn't designed only for IEMs, even though it's the best IEM amp I can think of. It has plenty of voltage swing and current output capability to drive most full sized headphones that come to mind.

Do you think it could drive d7000's?

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #722 of 2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... ... Also the Slim wasn't designed only for IEMs, even though it's the best IEM amp I can think of. It has plenty of voltage swing and current output capability to drive most full sized headphones that come to mind.

I only tested the Slim with iem’s, that said my Sansa Clip can drive my hd650s on full volume without an amp, but I’d rather listen to them through my WA6 or on the Pico’s larger brother which offers a high gain mode, that said this is what Justin stated in the 1st post:
Quote:

Q: What are the basic specifications of the Pico Slim?
A: The dimensions will be about 3.15 x 1.5 x 0.37" (80 x 38.1 x 9.4mm), a battery life of ~70 hours, and output of up to 4.2V @ 250mA per channel. The noise floor has been tested with the Westone ES3X custom IEM, with a sensitivity of 125dB/mW is tied for the most sensitive IEM available according to published specs. …

Apologies for going off topic in an order thread, I'm done till mine arrives and we have an impressions thread.

Edit: In addition, why would I want the level of attenuation that the Slim is calibrated for on full size phones, I wouldn't.

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #723 of 2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tested the slim and truely enjoyed it with my ue11s. Now I am waiting for one, but my question to you would be; why would you want an amp specifically designed for iem’s to use with full size phones o_O

Im currently using the original pico with my rs1. If the slim can sound as great, i dont see the reason in keeping the pico since mine does not have a dac. Anybody who tried the slim can compare it to the original pico in terms of sound?

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #727 of 2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by oyjandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im currently using the original pico with my rs1. If the slim can sound as great, i dont see the reason in keeping the pico since mine does not have a dac. Anybody who tried the slim can compare it to the original pico in terms of sound?

First off I don’t feel comfortable posting into an order thread, again my apologies to Justin and everyone else. I believe this might be a better question for Justin or a Grado owner. I don’t own Grado’s and from what I’ve read the rs1’s are low-impedance headphones, only 32 Ohms, so you don’t need a high gain mode. Would the Slim drive them, yes, would the Slim drive them how they are meant to be heard, I honestly don’t know. Although I question that you need the high number of steps, attenuation that the Slim offers for full size headphones, as I said before AFAIK the Slim is designed to be used with overly sensitive iem’s or customs. If it were me, I would be looking for a desk top amp to pair them with or keep the current Pico you already own.

Hope this quote from Justin clarifies some … Quote:

Q: How much attenuation is there and what does this mean?
A: The spec. for amount of attenuation is how quiet the volume can be set. A typical volume control found in a portable amp only has about 70dB of maximum attenuation. This is why with sensitive IEMs, you can still hear the music even with the volume knob all the way down. Worse, as you turn the knob, you have to go several degrees until the left/right channels seem to be matched in volume. At this point you may only have 40 to 60dB attenuation, and the sound can already be too loud. The Pico Slim has up to 110dB of attenuation.

Q: How many steps does the volume control have?
A: A popular DACT stepped attenuator in home amps only has 23 volume steps. Most digital volume controls offer 16, 32, or 64 volume steps. A potentiometer technically has infinite steps, but there are the problems described above that limit its use. The Pico Slim has 255 volume steps, which will be completely seamless so it will sound and feel like there are no steps at all.

BTW This will be my last post answering questions here but I look forward to reading others opinions and if you really need to ask me another question, feel free to pm me. I also look forward to receiving my Pico Slim soon and sharing my opinions on it in another thread. I am also a happy Pico/DAC owner and have no intentions of selling it for now …

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #728 of 2,425
i don't get why so many people are asking if portable amps ( not just pico slim) are able to drive certain so and so full size cans. Portable amps are never designed with full size cans in mind, and is used for iems and portable headphones at the most.

even my ipod headphone out can drive my Senn HD600, but the real question here is whether it can be driven to the way it's meant to be heard. In any case, a cheaper desktop amp can drive a headphone better than a more expensive portable amp.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #730 of 2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by incursore61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, only if you possible replace some reservation that waiver under 250

Ha! You're kidding right? If that sort of request actually worked then there would be no point in waiting inline and the unfortunate person with #251 would continue to lose out by not moving up the list when someone before him drops out. Bottom of the list buddy. Good things come to those who wait.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #731 of 2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! You're kidding right? If that sort of request actually worked then there would be no point in waiting inline and the unfortunate person with #251 would continue to lose out by not moving up the list when someone before him drops out. Bottom of the list buddy. Good things come to those who wait.

Here here!

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #732 of 2,425
There there!!!

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #734 of 2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, no trading/selling of reservations

Well that market just imploded.

:^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back