HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Aug 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #3,586 of 3,724
Just got my Pico amp w/ DAC. I have a question though, I heard that the headphone out is supposed to be dead silent through IEMs when nothing is playing, however through my SE530s, on low gain, I hear quite a bit of noise when I turn the volume up. Is this normal? Also when the volume knob is turned I hear even louder interference through the Shures, but I guess this is normal? Greatly appreciated if anyone can enlighten me.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #3,587 of 3,724
Just bought my Pico DAC amp today, a few questions:

(1) Is there anywhere I can download a softcopy pdf of the user manual?  Or can anyone please email me a copy?

(2) After I installed the amp on my PC which is using Windows 7 64 bit, I went to the sound device and attempt to set the sample rate and bit depth.  Strangely the highest I could choose is only "16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD quality)".  Is this normal?  Typically for all my sound devices that I have installed in the past few months I am able to choose "24 bit, 90000 Hz (studio quality)". Is there anything wrong with my unit?

(3) The person I bought the unit from gave me a custom 12 V adaptor to use for charging and powering the amp.  The power adaptor doesn't look like it's from Headamp.  Will there be issues going forward?

(4) I am using the Grado 325is can, is it better for me to set the gain to "LOW" or "HIGH"?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #3,588 of 3,724

Quote:
Just bought my Pico DAC amp today, a few questions:

(2) After I installed the amp on my PC which is using Windows 7 64 bit, I went to the sound device and attempt to set the sample rate and bit depth.  Strangely the highest I could choose is only "16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD quality)".  Is this normal?  Typically for all my sound devices that I have installed in the past few months I am able to choose "24 bit, 90000 Hz (studio quality)". Is there anything wrong with my unit?

(4) I am using the Grado 325is can, is it better for me to set the gain to "LOW" or "HIGH"?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

2) Nothing wrong with your unit.  It's  a 48/16 dac.

4) Whichever sounds best to you

the other 2 can be answered by someone else.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #3,589 of 3,724

Quote:
2) Nothing wrong with your unit.  It's  a 48/16 dac.

4) Whichever sounds best to you

the other 2 can be answered by someone else.

Hi Grawk,

Thanks for the response. 

On the fact that it was a 48/16 Dac, does it mean all things equal, the sound quality will be inferior to a 96/24 Dac?

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #3,590 of 3,724
But all things are never equal.  It means that it won't play back 96/24 material without resampling.  Most people don't have a lot of 96/24 material, most people have cds...Listen to it for what it is, don't worry about numbers.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3,595 of 3,724
I just use WASAPI.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #3,596 of 3,724
I received my Pico "stack" last week... been enjoying the heck of of this little marvel. I choose to get the "portable amp" and "DAC only" as separate units so that I could split up if needed. 

I just wish I had picked up on this rig sooner.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #3,597 of 3,724
Dear all Head Fier friends

Specialy Justin from Head Amp 

I send Justin email 3 times , but Nobody reply to me

I just bought Pico Dac Amp in RED Color from Jaben Singapore

According the Headamp Website :

The DAC Section from Pico dac Amp is  24 Bit ./ 96 Khz

If i connect the Pico Dac amp to my Imac indicated in  Audio Devise only 16 Bit /. 48 Khz

Which ones is correct 16 Bit / 48 Khz  or  24 Bit / 96 Khz

I want return my Pico Dac  amp, if i got the Old version

Please advise

Thank you all for your help 

Best Regards

Rudi

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #3,598 of 3,724
There are no "old" or "new" versions of the Pico DAC/amp. It's a 16/48-only device and doesn't support 24/96 files at 24/96 resolution. 24/96 files will be downsampled on it. The 24/96 refers to upsampling only. Here are Justin's words on the subject from his Pico announcement thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/258967/headamp-pico-portable-amp-w-optional-upsampling-24-96-usb-dac-pre-order-thread):

"But the biggest attraction of the Pico may be the optional USB DAC which is unlike any portable DAC available. Still fitting in the same tiny chassis, the optional USB DAC converts USB straight to I2S and is then upsampled to 24/96 with an ASRC often said to create a jitter-free design. The DAC then runs off of the Pico's low-jitter clock instead of the USB. D/A conversion is done by Wolfson's flagship 24-bit DAC chip, the WM8740, and then passed to an analog output stage that uses a unique MOSFET op-amp."

If you wanted a 24/96 USB DAC, look into other products that specify themselves as supporting 24/96 over USB (preferrably asynchronously), like the Arcam rDac for example.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #3,599 of 3,724

Quote:
There are no "old" or "new" versions of the Pico DAC/amp. It's a 16/48-only device and doesn't support 24/96 files at 24/96 resolution. 24/96 files will be downsampled on it. The 24/96 refers to upsampling only. Here are Justin's words on the subject from his Pico announcement thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/258967/headamp-pico-portable-amp-w-optional-upsampling-24-96-usb-dac-pre-order-thread):

"But the biggest attraction of the Pico may be the optional USB DAC which is unlike any portable DAC available. Still fitting in the same tiny chassis, the optional USB DAC converts USB straight to I2S and is then upsampled to 24/96 with an ASRC often said to create a jitter-free design. The DAC then runs off of the Pico's low-jitter clock instead of the USB. D/A conversion is done by Wolfson's flagship 24-bit DAC chip, the WM8740, and then passed to an analog output stage that uses a unique MOSFET op-amp."

If you wanted a 24/96 USB DAC, look into other products that specify themselves as supporting 24/96 over USB (preferrably asynchronously), like the Arcam rDac for example.

Thank you Asr for your help , to answer my question about my Pico Dac Amp.

I am a bit confuse because , jaben Staff said is it 24 bit / 96 Khz

I thought the DAC section from  Pico Dac Amp  is the same like Pico USB DAC = 24 bit / 96 Khz.

because of Jaben Staff and i believe also 24 Bit / 96 Khz , i bought my Pico Dac Amp.

Now it is Clear that Pico Dac amp has only 16 Bit / 48 Khz .

Thank you once again

Cheers 

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3,600 of 3,724

Quote:

Thank you Asr for your help , to answer my question about my Pico Dac Amp.

I am a bit confuse because , jaben Staff said is it 24 bit / 96 Khz

I thought the DAC section from  Pico Dac Amp  is the same like Pico USB DAC = 24 bit / 96 Khz.

because of Jaben Staff and i believe also 24 Bit / 96 Khz , i bought my Pico Dac Amp.

Now it is Clear that Pico Dac amp has only 16 Bit / 48 Khz .

Thank you once again

Cheers 

16/48 in... 24/96 out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back