HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
May 6, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #3,271 of 3,724
Everyone chill, they're coming......
k701smile.gif

USG

May 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #3,272 of 3,724
This is off topic but if anyone is planning to use Pico with triple.fi's I would definitely recommend looking at the Lune cable from null audio. I really think it improves the triples a great deal with Pico. I didn't think a cable could or would have much effect on the sound but was very wrong. Much tighter bass, airier highs, and punchier more organic sound overall. Less fatiguing as well. Pico's DAC is great by the way.

May 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #3,273 of 3,724
Hey,
Did you guys get your amps in yet. I'm right in Virginia and nothing yet. I order 4/30. For those who've received them. How long was total wait. I'm getting frustrated

May 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #3,274 of 3,724
I received mine after 5 weeks. But the wait is worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3,275 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONZO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,
Did you guys get your amps in yet. I'm right in Virginia and nothing yet. I order 4/30. For those who've received them. How long was total wait. I'm getting frustrated

I think your will get ship soon. I ordered mine back in early March and got it late in April. It worths the wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #3,277 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmut Roth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anybody out there using the pico dac/amp with a MacBook Air? I heard that the MacBook Air dac is pretty good and I am wondering whether it is worth to get pico dac/amp. Any feedback is appreciated.

Typically the Mac's have a headphone out/DAC about on par with a 5.5G ipod video - average and doesn't suck, but doesn't stand out either. I can't see the Air having a headphone out that is that much better to negate getting an upgraded DAC like Pico DAC, or D10, or Apogee Duet (oh, wait, you need firewire for the Duet
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Usually even the Burr Brown Japan PCM2702 DACs are better than the Mac's internal DAC.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #3,279 of 3,724
I am curious if the new DAC only sound identical to the Amp/Dac?

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #3,280 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious if the new DAC only sound identical to the Amp/Dac?

FWIW, my impressions of the prototype vs. the amp/DAC:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect to the sound quality/signature, the impressions of the Pico Amp/DAC when being used as a DAC should be a very close proxy for impressions of the DAC only. I listened to the Proto head-to-head with a Pico Amp/DAC and noticed just a very slightly smoother presentation with the DAC only. There was an ever so slight hint of etch when I was using the Amp/DAC as a DAC only (understanding that the Pico amp remains in the chain), which I attribute to either volume matching or just some issues between the Pico and the Stax 007tII. I would not have noticed the hint of etch if I had not compared it to the DAC only.

As with the Pico, I found the DAC only to be smooth and a bit on the warm side without sacrificing detail and pace. It does not have the glare of the benchmark DAC1 or the crystalline detail of the north star m192 mkII. As I've mentioned, to my ears, it shares more in common--soundwise--with the Electrocompaniet ECD-1. It has that musical lushness without becoming congested or boomy. The DACs that I have been most familiar with over the last couple of years have been on the bright side, so when I call the Pico DAC warm, please note that it is mainly in comparison to the brighter DACs I have heard. I do not think this is an overly-warm DAC and find it just on the warmer side of neutral. And I am surprised by the large soundstage given the tiny size of the Pico.

Overall, I have formed a very favorable impression of the Pico DAC.

Disclosures: I owned and sold a Pico Amp/DAC and I currently own a KGSS DX that is being repaired. The setup used for these impressions was iMac to Pico to 007tII to O2 mk1 playing both lossless and lossy.

Further disclosure: I like HeadAmp products.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #3,284 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suasexed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this have a line out like the iBasso D10 so I can bypass the headphone amp and make use of the DAC when I just want to listen to music through Audioengine speakers?

No, you use the Pico as a DAC/Pre-amp to feed the Audioengine speakers. The distortion is low enough and the sound uncolored enough that it will actually work quite well.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #3,285 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you use the Pico as a DAC/Pre-amp to feed the Audioengine speakers. The distortion is low enough and the sound uncolored enough that it will actually work quite well.

Right okay, I thought that may be the case. How exactly would it work with volume adjustment? Because there would be 3 places to adjust volume... on my Mac, the Pico and on the Audioengine speakers. Would you have the Mac volume on 100%, Pico at around 50% and then adjust the Audioengines to your desired volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back