HeadAmp PICO, AWESOME!! 56k beware!!
Jun 22, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 35
Congratulations!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep reading this about the Pico but my actual experience from owning the AE-2, Gilmore Lite, GS-1, and GS-X before I owned the Pico, and then directly comparing the AE-2 to the Pico, told me the Pico was the least HeadAmp-sounding amp in the dynamic amp line. The one conclusion I came to about the Pico was that it's the furthest departure from HeadAmp's "trademark" sound as established by the other dynamic amps.

IMO anyone buying a Pico hoping for HeadAmp's trademark sound is making a mistake.

Hi. How would you classify the Headamp sound vs Pico sound?

I have only heard the Pico, which I thought was very slightly lacking in low midrange warmth but with strong tight bass and smooth clear highs and open transparent soundstage.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. How would you classify the Headamp sound vs Pico sound?

I have only heard the Pico, which I thought was very slightly lacking in low midrange warmth but with strong tight bass and smooth clear highs and open transparent soundstage.

HeadAmp sound given by AE-2/GL/GS-1/GS-X: clean & polished, very clear, like looking through a Windex'd window. Could be too "clean" for most people, especially those not using a well-matching source. Expansive, deeply-projected soundstage particularly if that's what the source is transmitting. Fast & linear-sounding also. Treble tilt on AE-2 and GL that gets evened out on the GS-1 and GS-X. Those going into one of these as a first-time foray into a HeadAmp amp will probably find that all four sound distinctly laid-back compared to almost every other solid-state amp. And all four are transparent to varying degrees, allowing the input sound to filter straight through to the transducers, making them great amps to tweak sources and interconnects with.

I found the Pico not in tradition with this type of sound, that's really all I'll say for now as I need to leave further details to my future review. The review will probably be delayed to July now, haven't had enough time lately to work on it.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

told me the Pico was the least HeadAmp-sounding amp in the dynamic amp line. The one conclusion I came to about the Pico was that it's the furthest departure from HeadAmp's "trademark" sound as established by the other dynamic amps.

From what I understand, the Gilmore Lite, GS-1 and GS-X are all based on discrete Kevin Gilmore designs, wheras the Pico uses opamps. It would make sense for this to deviate from the 'house sound'.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, the Gilmore Lite, GS-1 and GS-X are all based on discrete Kevin Gilmore designs, wheras the Pico uses opamps. It would make sense for this to deviate from the 'house sound'.

True, except the AE-2 uses the same op-amp as the Pico and sounded distinctly similar to the GS-1 when I directly compared them. Also note that on HeadAmp.com, this is said about the AE-2: " The same great sound as our home amplifiers in a pocket-sized package (and built like a solid block)."

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

True, except the AE-2 uses the same op-amp as the Pico and sounded distinctly similar to the GS-1 when I directly compared them. Also note that on HeadAmp.com, this is said about the AE-2: " The same great sound as our home amplifiers in a pocket-sized package (and built like a solid block)."

Perhaps Justin was striving for something different with the Pico? I recall him mentioning he did fairly extensive opamp testing when designing the Pico, which suggests to me that he intended to deviate from the characteristics of the AE-2 if he'd already found an opamp for the AE that sounded similar to his discrete module.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #24 of 35
Such pretty amp. Same colour scheme I was wanting but Justin has not responded to my request yet!

I still have a long time to wait till he even starts mine, but hopefully I can get the red and black, has always been a favourite combination for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you pay extra or have to wait longer to get those colours?

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #25 of 35
Could I ask what number you were in the pre-order queue? I'm no. 412 and anxious to know when I might expect my amp!

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jennings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could I ask what number you were in the pre-order queue? I'm no. 412 and anxious to know when I might expect my amp!

Thanks!

Next week I'll start shipping #400-500 and I should get all of them out within 2 weeks

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jun 27, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #27 of 35
Haven't heard from you yet........where do I stand in the # system? Only posted to Head-Fi pre-order thread a few days ago. Can't wait to find out how Pico and Triple-Fi work together. Guess I should change my nom-de-forum to Anxious
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #28 of 35
Nice red and black color ! Would match the Iaudio7 well, color and size.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #30 of 35
After listening to the Pico for a while now, I am still amazed by it every time I turn it on to listen to some music. I dug out my old RSA Tomahawk to do a quick comparison. I know that the Pico is in a completely different league from the Tomahawk; however, the Tomahawk costed me quite a lot of money so I decided to compare them.

I would have to conclude with this image because I feel that it summarizes things nicely.

24bqav4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back