HeadAmp PICO, AWESOME!! 56k beware!!
Jun 21, 2008 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Nenso

100+ Head-Fier
I just received this a few days ago. BEST COLOUR EVER!
I was impressed by both audio and visual aspects of it. That shade of red is really nice.

I hope you guys enjoy my pics, sorry I don't have a DSLR >_<

It is very detailed and it surpassed my expectations.

I love its colour! ^_^

2594515904_7460992483_b.jpg

2594516616_bff8720986_b.jpg

Before I had a RSA Tomahawk, then upgraded to audio-technica AT-HA25D.
The tomahawk sounded alright from the same sources I had but it didn't live up to its head-fi popularity in my opinion.
I had problems with volume control but the same problem does not exist for the Pico.

The AT-HA25D has a digital input that removed all sorts of interfearance; however, the amp wasn't very good.

The pico.. now this little amp is amazing. I can hear things I've never noticed with the pico that I couldn't with the AT amp. I listened with my SR325, ATH-A950LTD, W1000, MS-1, and they all sounded great. This is a great amp and I'd reccomend it to anyone to use as either desktop or portable.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 35
Thanks guys! I heard I have the one and only red one. XD I'm using the DAC version. Best portable DAC ever, sounds better than an Apogee duet IMHO.. but that's only my opinion. Sound is very subjective, wouldn't you agree?

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 35
The DAC and amp, in what I have heard are HeadAmp tradition, are very neutral. To elaborate, I use primarily the PS Audio DLIII, which is allegedly one of the warmest DACs around. I tend to agree, and I think it has a very nice sound. The Pico is not warm in comparison, and this helps out with the HD650, which is dark. When I switched over to some Grados, the sound was actually unbearably bright. Maybe I learned the true nature of Grados.

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 35
Gorgeous amp! Enjoy!

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 35
Love this porta amp!

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 35
Congrats! I can't wait 'til mine arrives.

I'll be using it predominantly as a desktop amp. I'll be mating it with Shure SE-530 earbuds, a Densen B-400XS CD player ('bout $7500 AUD) and a Thorens TD-850 turntable w/Ortofon Kontrapunkt C cartridge and Thorens TP-302 phonostage ($8000AUD for the turntable rig).

I hope it's not a crazy combination as I've always been a "source first" kind guy.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope it's not a crazy combination as I've always been a "source first" kind guy.

That does sound a bit crazy...but, if I could keep only one of my 3 amps it would be my Pico w/DAC. Paired with a DAP or my laptop it creates a very portable and great sounding combo.

You have great sources!

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Nenso on a fine purchase.
eggosmile.gif

I really like that color combo, black and red is great. I'd like to see a higher resolution pic for my collection.

Haha thanks pal. The picture I uploaded is from flickr and is the largest image hoster i could get ahold of. If you find me an image hoster that hosts 2-3mb then maybe I could upload my high res! I took it with my 10mp DC so the high res isn't as great as you think. >_< but sure I can give you it if you want.

I ordered red from Justin, thats how I got it.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC and amp, in what I have heard are HeadAmp tradition, are very neutral.

I keep reading this about the Pico but my actual experience from owning the AE-2, Gilmore Lite, GS-1, and GS-X before I owned the Pico, and then directly comparing the AE-2 to the Pico, told me the Pico was the least HeadAmp-sounding amp in the dynamic amp line. The one conclusion I came to about the Pico was that it's the furthest departure from HeadAmp's "trademark" sound as established by the other dynamic amps.

IMO anyone buying a Pico hoping for HeadAmp's trademark sound is making a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back