HeadAmp GS-1 – A Forgotten Treasure
Feb 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #46 of 54

Quote:
Nice write-up on the GS-1.  I had a GS-1 w/ DACT before upgrading to electrostats, and it's still my favorite solid state headphone amp.  I didn't have a chance to try too many headphones on it but it paired really well with the SR-225i.  The sound was tight, fast, and clean.  No veiled, muddy sound that I often hear from sub-$500 and portable headphone amps.  Bass was nice and impactful, drums had a good depth to them, and it could handle very fast passages in metal well.

I'm surprised the GS-1 doesn't get more attention.  It's a great performer, Headamp products are always well-built and reportedly well-serviced, and does what it's designed to do without any fuss or complication.  If I was building a work rig, it'd probably have a GS-1 or Super 7.

Quote:
Well said Peter.  
beerchug.gif

Thanks fellas.
smile.gif

May 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #48 of 54
Updated: My previous endorsement for use as a preamp is withdrawn after finding better sounding pre-owned products at lower prices.

Last edited:
May 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #49 of 54
Quote:
What surprised me was how good the GS-1 sounds as a preamp with my vinyl rig.

I hadn't been able to get the last bit of resolution and clarity out of my VPI Classic, Benz PP-1, Benz Gullwing set up. So, just for the heck of it, I decided to try the rig with Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 interconnects through the GS-1 as a line stage to my Rogue Stereo 90 amplifier.

Finally, my vinyl sounds first rate, consistent with the highly favorable reviews that the VPI and Benz components have received.

dream on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back