HeadAmp GS-1 – A Forgotten Treasure
Jan 30, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #32 of 54

Quote:
nice write up Peter. glad your enjoying the amp

Thanks Frank. A great contrast to my WA22. Fun having both.
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #33 of 54
Well, I've had some time with my Grado HF-2s and the GS-1 and the results were very good indeed. The bass was tight and deep (well deep for a Grado), silky mids and extended highs. Now the HF-2s (and PS500s) have subdued highs compared to the rest of the John Grado lineup. But unfortunately I no longer own the RS1s to confirm how the treble would be. Others may want to look for an amp that doesn't extend the highs so well with the standard John Grado headphones (especially the SR325is
wink.gif
).

The one thing that I was very impressed with was the sound staging....amongst the widest and deepest I've heard with John Grado headphones. Must be that GS-1 holographic effect.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #34 of 54
Nice work on the review. 
smile.gif
 I agree about Grados with an amp with a wide soundstage -- this is pretty much what I have set-up with the Phonenix when not using the LCD-3s. I might have to persuade you to get some Magnums now. 
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #36 of 54

Quote:
Nice work on the review. 
smile.gif
 I agree about Grados with an amp with a wide soundstage -- this is pretty much what I have set-up with the Phonenix when not using the LCD-3s. I might have to persuade you to get some Magnums now. 
wink.gif

Quote:
+2 on Grado > Headamp GS-1. It was an excellent match with my classic RS1's. I thought the mids and highs were well balanced, and blended well with the lively quality characteristic of the RS1. 

I guess Grado's can get a bad rap when the upstream gear is lacking. The sound staging sounds very good out of my rig with either of my amps. Throw in some binaural recordings and they really can do imaging better than many think. Magnums huh? Hmmm.....

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #38 of 54

Quote:
Peter, can you give some more specifics on the T1/GS-1 combo. Synergy? How does it stack up to the T1/WA2/WA22 combos you've reported on?

-Daniel

Hi Daniel:

Funny the differences with the T1s are pretty similar across all of my headphones. That is to say the WA22 has a wider and deeper sound stage, but the GS-1 has a more precise one. Bass on the WA22 has a bit more presence (both go very deep and are very well controlled). The GS-1's bass has no bloom to it whatsoever...deep and taught, yet still impactful. But I prefer the WA22's presentation with regards to bass/mids. They just seem more liquid and organic.

The GS-1 seems to extend the treble a bit more without being bright; while the WA22 has a softer treble (but not rolled off). Price wise, the WA22 (with upgraded tubes) comes in at 2.5 times more than the GS-1...so that says a lot for the GS-1. Especially considering this is coming from a traditional tube guy.

Basically with the WA22 you get a romantic (but still fairly neutral) presentation with fantastically wide and deep imaging and a fantastic tube amp. With the GS-1, you get a no holds barred wire with gain amp...nothing is added to your DAC/source...just the facts. Extremely clean and true to what the input is giving it. Great bass and treble extension and balanced mids. So pick your poison. I happened to pick both.
evil_smiley.gif

Its been a while since I heard the WA2, sold it last summer, but I did write up a comparative review with the WA22 (and I did use the T1s as part of the analysis). So that's probably more accurate than anything I can recall right now:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562618/woo-audio-wa2-and-wa22-comparisons-finally-finished-whew

Cheers

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #39 of 54
I love my GS-1 and wouldn't trade it for the world. When I got the bug to upgrade I decided it was the only amp that suited my needs. When I did place my order, Justin was having some issues with his suppliers and I had to wait about 9 months to get it. It was well worth it.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #40 of 54
Its a shame that the GS-1 (and possibly the GS-X) seems to be discontinued. Those listeners who appreciate a well designed and put together neutral SS amp, may fit into a small group but they are out there. The good news for the patient, is the occasional but steady appearance of reasonably priced GS-1s in the classified.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #41 of 54

Quote:
Its a shame that the GS-1 (and possibly the GS-X) seems to be discontinued. Those listeners who appreciate a well designed and put together neutral SS amp, may fit into a small group but they are out there. The good news for the patient, is the occasional but steady appearance of reasonably priced GS-1s in the classified.

Justin is awaiting the chassis ie..  front and rear plates for the GS-X now.  Expect a wait of around 4 months.  I'm on the list for an upgrade hopefully..

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #42 of 54
interesting, i always wonder if i should try having a solid state amp to compliment my woos...

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #43 of 54

Quote:
interesting, i always wonder if i should try having a solid state amp to compliment my woos...

I can confirm that the GS-1 is one heck of a complimentary amp to Woo tube amps.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #44 of 54
Nice write-up on the GS-1.  I had a GS-1 w/ DACT before upgrading to electrostats, and it's still my favorite solid state headphone amp.  I didn't have a chance to try too many headphones on it but it paired really well with the SR-225i.  The sound was tight, fast, and clean.  No veiled, muddy sound that I often hear from sub-$500 and portable headphone amps.  Bass was nice and impactful, drums had a good depth to them, and it could handle very fast passages in metal well.

I'm surprised the GS-1 doesn't get more attention.  It's a great performer, Headamp products are always well-built and reportedly well-serviced, and does what it's designed to do without any fuss or complication.  If I was building a work rig, it'd probably have a GS-1 or Super 7.

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 54

Quote:
Hi Daniel:

Funny the differences with the T1s are pretty similar across all of my headphones. That is to say the WA22 has a wider and deeper sound stage, but the GS-1 has a more precise one. Bass on the WA22 has a bit more presence (both go very deep and are very well controlled). The GS-1's bass has no bloom to it whatsoever...deep and taught, yet still impactful. But I prefer the WA22's presentation with regards to bass/mids. They just seem more liquid and organic.

The GS-1 seems to extend the treble a bit more without being bright; while the WA22 has a softer treble (but not rolled off). Price wise, the WA22 (with upgraded tubes) comes in at 2.5 times more than the GS-1...so that says a lot for the GS-1. Especially considering this is coming from a traditional tube guy.

Basically with the WA22 you get a romantic (but still fairly neutral) presentation with fantastically wide and deep imaging and a fantastic tube amp. With the GS-1, you get a no holds barred wire with gain amp...nothing is added to your DAC/source...just the facts. Extremely clean and true to what the input is giving it. Great bass and treble extension and balanced mids. So pick your poison. I happened to pick both.
evil_smiley.gif

Its been a while since I heard the WA2, sold it last summer, but I did write up a comparative review with the WA22 (and I did use the T1s as part of the analysis). So that's probably more accurate than anything I can recall right now:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562618/woo-audio-wa2-and-wa22-comparisons-finally-finished-whew

Cheers

Well said Peter.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back