HeadAmp GS-1 – A Forgotten Treasure
Jan 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #17 of 54
Thanks for the write up.

Great to see an amp that is so versatile. Probably why I won't part with my G-Lite in spite of offers!

Was there any headphone that stood out as particularly good with the amp? Any that was ok, but on the weaker side?

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #18 of 54
I did notice Upstate guy said he could not tell a difference between the 900$ GS-1 and 90$ DIY 02. -- Just sayin..

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 54
That's not entirely fair: he first declared they sounded different and appears to be gradually finding their sound increasingly similar over time in that the O2 appears to be improving: they already sound identical at low-ish volumes and the differences that distinguish them at higher volumes appear to be diminishing.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 54
Jan 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #23 of 54

Quote:
I did notice Upstate guy said he could not tell a difference between the 900$ GS-1 and 90$ DIY 02. -- Just sayin..

It's important to note this was at a 9:00 volume levels and with me doing all the volume balancing, switching and listening by ear.....  but at low volumes they sound very similar to me.  Still, the O2 is not a GS-1.  But if you want to know what the GS-1, wire with gain, sounds like, on the cheap, by all means get an O2...  

Quote:
That's not entirely fair: he first declared they sounded different and appears to be gradually finding their sound increasingly similar over time in that the O2 appears to be improving: they already sound identical at low-ish volumes and the differences that distinguish them at higher volumes appear to be diminishing.

This is unexplainable but true.... with the caveat that in this single case there is only one listener making all the judgements. 

What we really need is Peter and Shahrose to get O2s and weigh in on this with their high end rigs.

Never the less, the GS-1 is a full featured amp, with 2 inputs, pre amp out, line out, and 2 headphone jacks.  It has heavy duty connectors, jacks and switches, a built in power supply, is cased very nicely in aluminum and has withstood years of use with absolutely no problems and incredible sound quality. 

So low volume listening aside, there is a huge build quality difference between the GS-1 and the O2.  How long do you think the gain or power switch is going to last on the O2?  I also get the feeling that the input, output and power jacks are very flimsy.  We'll see how long they last before their connections become spotty.

Quote:
The Dynahi (which replaced my GS-1).

What Shahrose didn't tell you is that when he turns his Dynahi on it blacks out the east coast of Canada.
basshead.gif

Edit:  Besides, Shahrose is a Gilmore power snob....
wink_face.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #24 of 54
He was threatening to introduce a desk top DAC/AMP combo some time back... it might be a GS-1 replacement if it ever sees the light of day.  Not sure how much attention it's getting with the BHSE production run in full swing.

Quote:

Edit: Also wanted to note that the GS-1 is being discontinued and Justin currently has no plans for a replacement.  :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #25 of 54
to be fair, the O2 can be built into a bigger chasis with panel mount switches and inputs as you see fit, with minimal cost increase. bringing the total DIY cost up to about 140$. It's also designed as a battery powered amp. I think a more fair comparision will be to the ODA when it's released.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #26 of 54

Quote:
to be fair, the O2 can be built into a bigger chasis with panel mount switches and inputs as you see fit, with minimal cost increase. bringing the total DIY cost up to about 140$. It's also designed as a battery powered amp. I think a more fair comparision will be to the ODA when it's released.

What's the cost of home brewing a Dynalo?

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #27 of 54

Quote:
Thanks for the write up.
Great to see an amp that is so versatile. Probably why I won't part with my G-Lite in spite of offers!
Was there any headphone that stood out as particularly good with the amp? Any that was ok, but on the weaker side?

Actually all of them were surprisingly very, very good with it with a good amount of head room for some of my more power hungry cans and a negligible noise floor that my Ed.8LEs or IEMs were fantastic. Next up to try: my Grado HF-2s.

Quote:

What we really need is Peter and Shahrose to get O2s and weigh in on this with their high end rigs.

Plan too, I'm looking for a desktop amp for work and don't want to spend too much on it.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 54

Quote:

I think upstateguy said it right that the o2 should sound very similar to the GS1, but it's still no GS1.  If one was to take the o2 build quality to the level that Justin takes his product, it's not that the sound should appreciably change, it's that every part is of very good quality, including the chassis, it is tested thoroughly as only Justin does, and as noted, the thing will likely last for 10 or 20 years of regular use with no change in sound.  In order to do the same with the o2, find a supply chain of parts that will continue to be available, build, test, and warranty them, all while being paid for your time, you'd be easily at $400 if not more.  Not surprisingly that's right around where a Gilmore Lite would likely sit if it were produced today.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #29 of 54

Quote:
What's the cost of home brewing a Dynalo?

150-200$ should be easy to do for a full feature amp with basic parts and a simple PSU (two LM317T's center tapped or 7815/7915 etc.).  You can spend a pile more on "better" parts or more importantly, a better PSU.  I finished one earlier this month and I'd guess it cost about 300$ all in but since it was mostly build from parts I had on hand I can't be sure.  It was naturally done in my usual overkill fashion so it could have been far cheaper. 
redface.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #30 of 54
Well my experience is that the O2 and Gilmore series are both fantastic, neutral amps...which means that they ought to sound indistinguishable.  Because there aren't any design flaws.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.

The build quality is worth the added price for most readers IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back