Originally Posted by mjg
hi lextek.

i ruined head-fi. your all welcome.

I knew it was you!!!
mad.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Once the masses(read 13-18 year olds) find out about them they inevitably start to slip. The discussion quality/level falls to meet the average level of communication present.

Riiiiiight. I guess teenagers can't act mature and have adult conversations? Quite a few of the original generation and succeeding were young respectable, interesting members.

<snip>

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 80
Quote:

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's clearly visible and an unfortunate trait of most great discussion forums. Once the masses(read 13-18 year olds) find out about them they inevitably start to slip. The discussion quality/level falls to meet the average level of communication present.

That's ridiculous, the amount of percentage 13-18 year olds members is probably higher than the percentage of 19+ members, ie most of the trolls aren't kids, but adults with axes to grind or big egos. I find most people of this demographic to be very mature here (including me
tongue.gif
).

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's clearly visible and an unfortunate trait of most great discussion forums. Once the masses(read 13-18 year olds) find out about them they inevitably start to slip. The discussion quality/level falls to meet the average level of communication present.

was this perhaps around the epoch you joined?

"geez, just aint the same anymore, back in the day yadda yadda yadda, when it was only us complex smart guys..."

your just so high on your own smug you don't see it.... it's ok.

edit in: ok im joking i promise... peopel can't be serious all the time. If i'm degenerating the forum by my presence, i'm not in your age bracket... those younger guys shouldn't be dismissed, they are very important to the hobby. blame me, the immature guy.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #20 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
lol....that's not what lextek meant, though.

Ooh... I took it literally
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I see what hes getting at now. I havent been around long enough to say
biggrin.gif
But yeah... there a LOT more going on around here than just headphones and amps.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Don't get me wrong, I agree but I feel most people (not headfiers) don't know this.

It used to be that kids would lust after the Stereo Component System their father/uncle/friend owned. Now it the exact opposite - older people are lusting after the iPod w/stock buds. I have seen this countless times with friends of mine.

In the end we all lose. Why? Well, I have read a few articles that have mentioned that CD releases are now mastered with laptop speakers and iPod Buds in mind. In fact, John Mayer has stated that he also dislikes this new trend because of that fact. His last album was remastered to sound good out of laptop speakers and iBuds!!! This in turn produces a less desirable result when played out of a high end component system. This is all the result of the i-Fi Phenomenon.

I certainly see where your coming from, and I did read an article about the decreasing quality of redbook recordings as well. I never knew that some of them were mastered like that though, which is quite shocking to say the least! The general public doesn't care about this because they simply can't hear the difference.

4 years ago I was perfectly happy with my 5.1 creative pc speakers, until I was confronted with B&W CM1s. This made me realize how much I was actually missing out on. I loved listening to music before that as well through those shabby speakers, I just didn't know that there was a much better and much more expensive
tongue.gif
alternative.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #22 of 80
It was about 20 years ago, as a teenager, that I bought a Sony D-7 portable CD player (I think it was the second model of portable CD player available in the U.S.), and then ordered a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones from (if I recall correctly) Crutchfield.

That's how I got my start in audio. In fact, a lot of us old-timers started in audio quite young. The audio hobby always needs new blood, and I've seen few more effective audio recruiting grounds than here, as you can start slow and affordably in headphone hi-fi--and then, when income and insanity grow with you, you can acquire a decent, modest system like say, oh, wmcmanus or bozebuttons.
wink.gif

Again, the audio hobby--at all levels--needs new blood to feed it. And I don't know too many people who get into audio who ever get out.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 80
No question after almost 5 years things are bound to change. Interests change, availability changes, personal lives change. That said, I personally don't think that the "core" of Head-Fi has changed. It is still a place for idiots like ourselves to get together with others that have the same sickness. Be it audio in general, music, or headphones. I think the moderators have always kept the heart of the forum in mind when moderating. Some may disagree with how the forum is moderated, but understand that to a person, that is why we volunteer our time to do what we do. I don't think the membership would have grown to what it is if the soul of this place was not special. I do not think that people would travel from around the country to attend a National Meet if this place was not special.

By the way, as much as the moderators put into this place, when it comes down to it we all have Jude to thank for the heart.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 80
I got here about a year and a half after lextek, and maybe I'm a bit dense, but I don't see it. But I usually only go to the equipment category forums. I got a little low down here recently on the other side of the board. I'm not really here for personal interaction, although I have met and made some good friends. To me, the equipment side really hasn't changed much.
And the moderators do a GREAT job. They somehow manage to seem to stay out of the way and let it happen. If they do take action, and I know they do, I don't see it. Great job!

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 80
For me I think I've changed. At least my interest. I'm happy with my Grado and Sennheiser and I'm not in search of the perfect sound anymore. But I still come back to Head-Fi for the Lounge, just cuz it's a fun read...

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Riiiiiight. I guess teenagers can't act mature and have adult conversations? Quite a few of the original generation and succeeding were young respectable, interesting members.

<snip>

Sure they can, they just don't seem to be able to type it out and/or converse it too well because public and private education is **** compared to what it used to be twenty years ago. I'm sorry if my opinion is blunt; but, I just have a lack of patience for reading through spelling and grammatical crap which equals the "younger generation" interweb speak. How do people get past the age of 12 without knowing the difference between your and you're?

No, I'm not directing this at you. Just the massload of newcomers that seem to all share these same characteristics hence my opinionated comment earlier. If you don't like it that is completely fine but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #27 of 80
Quote:

How do people get past the age of 12 without knowing the difference between your and you're?

That bothers me too. However, there are many adults on here who make the same mistake.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #29 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
F1gtr,

It maybe that some people isn't native engrish speakers. Aren't the communication is the thing mostest important? No need to thanx me. Your welcome.
biggrin.gif

y4 4nd 1t'5 b3773r 7h4n 7yp1ng l1k3 7h15.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
y4 4nd 1t'5 b3773r 7h4n 7yp1ng l1k3 7h15.

People who do this should be banned from the internet.

And sterilized.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back