Head-Fis Changed
Apr 21, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #46 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
In real life people usually hangout with people of the same age group, and that's not possible on the internet.

Had it not been for the internet, majority of the people on here would have never known the other existed. Internet is non-discriminatory (regardless of age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, appearance, wealth, health, creed, race, national origin...)

People can say whatever they want (true and untrue)...

The only negative aspect of the internet I have heard is that, the more time one spends on the net, (Koreans call people on the internet "Netizens"; interNET + citiZEN) the more one becomes reclusive and anti-social (i.e. going out in public and physically interacting with people).

You do learn a lot and a lot faster due to the ease of navigating and wealth of knowledge...

Thanks Head-Fi, for making me a better person.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #47 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
In real life people usually hangout with people of the same age group, and that's not possible on the internet.

Oh my!
Very true.
I am always astounded to find out that someone I am asking questions of here, is younger than my own offspring. This knowledge doesn't change my opinion of the answers I get, but does change my opinion of people in those age brackets. (for the better)

Back to the topic of how H-F has changed.

I agree that the overall feel has changed a bit. I wonder though if it's how much the community has changed, or how much I have changed. The excitement of newly discovered world of headphones has long been gone. And, with it the excitement of the newly discovered website about headphones. The honeymoon is over.
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Nor am I fond of the ageist posts of certain younger members, in which older members are characterized as "hippies" (particularly when a number of them seem to be conservative veterans who would like to see environmentalists crushed by manatees), "gents" (condescension is so attractive) or "fat" (an even more useful observation concerning members' content than fixating on their age: "I might be opining about equipment I've never heard, but you, madam, should take better care of yourself!").

Not that many kids here have met me in person. How did they know I am old and fat???
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
If you have any photos of environmentalists being crushed by manatees, please forward them to me. I would love to see them.
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

I would like to make one last comment.

While I may hate change, and fight it on all fronts. I do however, understand that change is not only inevitable, but necessary, and the changes I do see here have been pretty much for the better. This is still the greatest place on the web.
cool.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #48 of 80
I have been pleasantly surprised to discover so many 'young folks' here.

Before I realized the age difference I had no idea that many of these well spoken, knowledgable, and well-behaived individuals I was communicating with were the age of my kids.
It has helped to restore some of my faith in mankind and our future to see that in spite of much of what we normally see of youth, many do think and learn [size=xx-small](hopefully the ones here are representative and not the ENTIRE group)[/size].
tongue.gif

Thank you Head-Fi and the younger group here for reminding me of this.
Actually, most Head-Fi members are intelligent, well-manered, and courteous.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #49 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I have been pleasantly surprised to discover so many 'young folks' here.

Before I realized the age difference I had no idea that many of these well spoken, knowledgable, and well-behaived individuals I was communicating with were the age of my kids.
It has helped to restore some of my faith in mankind and our future to see that in spite of much of what we normally see of youth, many do think and learn [size=xx-small](hopefully the ones here are representative and not the ENTIRE group)[/size].
tongue.gif

Thank you Head-Fi and the younger group here for reminding me of this.
Actually, most Head-Fi members are intelligent, well-manered, and courteous.

Very true, NiceCans. It's always interesting when I find out someone well-spoken and thoughtful is young, and the irreverent boob is my parents' age. Even though I'm pretty young (24), it's still hard for me to think of my friends' younger siblings as people that might have important and valid things to contibrute, and be competent at expressing those thoughts. And, my parents' generation probably has as many idiots (though some have hopefully matured), they just might not have had as many outlets to broadcast that fact (or maybe they just don't know how to use the internet).

I'm sometimes tempted to think that head-fi has changed. But then again, maybe it hasn't; maybe it's just my view that has changed, as I've gotten older and gotten more knowledgeable about audio.

And Jude is right. Even though I'm not so involved in the head-fi scene at the moment, my view of and interest in high-end audio has been permanently changed by head-fi. So yeah, thanks head-fi (I guess
rolleyes.gif
).

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #50 of 80
you geezers should shut the hell up and go join denture-fi.

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #51 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
you geezers should shut the hell up and go join denture-fi.

Son, when the revolution comes you will not be spared.

Braces will roll.

Apr 21, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #52 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
And some people simply don't care. I've probably misused the numerous "yours/its/etc" more than I can count, but people get my point anyway. Minor spelling/grammar doesn't make someone's comments less valid. (you'd be surprised how many people think others are below them just because they don't use complicated terminology in their writings) It's bull. You can have a good intelligent conversation with basic words. (for the most part)

Though I too am not fond of leet or whatever talk. Not the one-word stuff, but a whole paragraph in nerd-vernacular.

I agree 100%.
the other side of the coin is what I refer to as the educated individual theory..those that are educated in the language of Latin and Greek, although dead in use, are said to be more educated than your average person(s)..in that, yes you can talk however you want and spell whatever you need to in the wrong..but the idea behind communicating clearly and presenting concise ideas is not a new one, and certainly not just based within/on Internet Grammar...
That being said, it is less of a "distraction" (we will call it) reading a post that is spelled accuratley, and that which uses the proper context to the matter imo...as you know this person is educated and is communicating clearly as such.
hence the age old comparison to the phrase "an educated man" meaining one that has studied the language origins and history behind the words' utilization and extr meanings..

Same goes here I think to a degree, as there are those that know but don't care, and those that know they know because they remember,studied, or care to because it is proper way to speak/communicate..

..to each his own though right?
There are marvelous differences in the written and oral communication found all over, and that is strange enough to debate till the end of time!!
580smile.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #53 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
That being said, it is less of a "distraction" (we will call it) reading a post that is spelled accuratley, and that which uses the proper context to the matter imo...as you know this person is educated and is communicating clearly as such.
hence the age old comparison to the phrase "an educated man" meaining one that has studied the language origins and history behind the words' utilization and extr meanings.

Er.. oops?

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #54 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Er.. oops?

I'm sure he did it on purpose for emphasis
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #55 of 80
I thenk Head-Fi four grately improoving my speling. Evere sence I start two posting on Head-Fi, mi speling improov 100%. Thenk yu vely much!

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #56 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
I thenk Head-Fi four grately improoving my speling. Evere sence I start two posting on Head-Fi, mi speling improov 100%. Thenk yu vely much!

no problemo

--a guy who clearly doesn't know Spanish

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
I don't know how the rest of you broads feel, but it seems to me our discussion would be less poodle-yankingly familiar if it avoided the pitfalls of previous threads on the same theme:

What if we didn't resort to complaints about age differences when assessing the quality of Head-fi's content over time? After all, I don't post tearful laments about the decline of literacy on Head-fi and then rant about those horrible gang-violence-prone adolescents with their shocking omissions of possessives in thread titles (Head-Fi[']s Changed). A Hank more civility might be nice, but ageism is irrelevant, din ye t'ink? (Of course, this will all change when Jude opens his exclusive adults-only high-end audio country club.)

[size=large]LFF's observations about the iPod's impact on high-rear audio seem valid[/size], but the issue of younger members polluting the intellectual gene pool is a scarlet herring -- just ask members like Eric343, who, if I'm not mistaken, joined at around sixteen and promptly became "the E in META," thus proving his command of vowels.

Nor am I fond of the ageist posts of certain younger members, in which older members are characterized as "hippies" (particularly when a number of them seem to be conservative veterans who would like to see environmentalists crushed by manatees), "gents" (condescension is so attractive) or "fat" (an even more useful observation concerning members' content than fixating on their age: "I might be opining about equipment I've never heard, but you, madam, should take better care of yourself!").

To conclude (snore), I feel this discussion would be more orangeful if we chose not to fixate on age. Let this post, with its relentless fixation on not being fixated, serve as a warning: Bounty hunting is wrong.

This must be one of the most eloquent posts I have ever read on headfi. Very well put!

As for the bolded phrase above:

1) Thanks for seeing that my point about i-Fi seems valid.
2) By the i-Fi arguement - all I meant was that i-Fi sucks. It has nothing to do with age (although most youngsters wear iBuds) but had more to do with the reasons people come here. I met a recent headfi lurker who discovered headfi because he googled iPod and some other term and came here. As a result, he now has some decent headphones for his iPod. Anyway, what mean is this: instead of established audiphiles coming in regarding a purchase of HP-1000 to compliment their uberspeaker set up, more often than not, its youngsters coming in because of the i-Fi phenomenon.

Regardless, I think young people being turned onto the pleasures of headfi and the world of audiophiles is good.
icon10.gif
I certainly hope this is the case and hopefully headfi will eventually inform enough people about Hi-Fi that it will cause a backlash towards the i-Fi train of thought and practice.

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #59 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
This must be one of the most eloquent posts I have ever read on headfi. Very well put!

As for the bolded phrase above:

1) Thanks for seeing that my point about i-Fi seems valid.
2) By the i-Fi arguement - all I meant was that i-Fi sucks. It has nothing to do with age (although most youngsters wear iBuds) but had more to do with the reasons people come here. I met a recent headfi lurker who discovered headfi because he googled iPod and some other term and came here. As a result, he now has some decent headphones for his iPod. Anyway, what mean is this: instead of established audiphiles coming in regarding a purchase of HP-1000 to compliment their uberspeaker set up, more often than not, its youngsters coming in because of the i-Fi phenomenon.

Regardless, I think young people being turned onto the pleasures of headfi and the world of audiophiles is good.
icon10.gif
I certainly hope this is the case and hopefully headfi will eventually inform enough people about Hi-Fi that it will cause a backlash towards the i-Fi train of thought and practice.

I came here to find myself a pair of headphones to substitute my iBuds, and this is what happened: iBuds -> Sony EX71SL -> Alessandro MS-1 -> Koss PortaPro -> UE super.fi 5 Pro -> Go-Vibe -> E-MU 0404 -> Grado HF-1 -> Millett Hybrid -> Zhaolu DAC -> AKG K 701 -> Single Power PPX3-6SN7 SLAM -> Grado RS-2 -> AKG K 1000 (pending)...

Is this what you call the i-Fi phenomenon?

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #60 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
I came here to find myself a pair of headphones to substitute my iBuds, and this is what happened: iBuds -> Sony EX71SL -> Alessandro MS-1 -> Koss PortaPro -> UE super.fi 5 Pro -> Go-Vibe -> E-MU 0404 -> Grado HF-1 -> Millett Hybrid -> Zhaolu DAC -> AKG K 701 -> Single Power PPX3-6SN7 SLAM -> Grado RS-2 -> AKG K 1000 (pending)...

Is this what you call the i-Fi phenomenon?

No sir, that is the backlash to the phenomenon.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back