Head-Fis Changed
Apr 20, 2006 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't visit Head-Fi as much as I used to. It has different flavor now. Less "headphile". Maybe it's just me.

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 80
There is a headphile link under the "sponsors" at the top of the page, and theres always someone posting pics of Larry's work.

Garrett

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 80
yeah yeah, we heard it all before. "Things have gone downhill since my day" " This generation just doesn't have that oomph the old boys did" "What ever happened to member X, Y, and Z, they had pizzazz" etc.

Eh, whatcha gonna do.
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
There is a headphile link under the "sponsors" at the top of the page, and theres always someone posting pics of Larry's work.

Garrett

lol....that's not what lextek meant, though.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
yeah yeah, we heard it all before. "Things have gone downhill since my day" " This generation just doesn't have that oomph the old boys did" "What ever happened to member X, Y, and Z, they had pizzazz" etc.

Eh, whatcha gonna do.
biggrin.gif

Actually some points are nice, more aimed at computer as source and MP3s. Hey thanks for that link.
icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
Actually some points are nice, more aimed at computer as source and MP3s.

Yeah with the advancement of PC audio and DAPs, you could kinda see it coming. Probably the same with many audio forums, I figure. I think the true moment where this forum when south was around the first time the word "pretzel" was uttered . . . still trying to find the culprit.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 80
I agree things have changed. They are not necessarily bad, they are just different from the old. Computers as sources and portable MP3 players have brought a lot of younger members with smaller budgets. This has caused the community to grow quite a bit.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
I agree things have changed. They are not necessarily bad, they are just different from the old. Computers as sources and portable MP3 players have brought a lot of younger members with smaller budgets. This has caused the community to grow quite a bit.

Indeed. I call this the i-Fi Phenomenon or the Downfall of Hi-Fi.
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Indeed. I call this the i-Fi Phenomenon or the Downfall of Hi-Fi.
frown.gif

How come? There are absolutely wonderful things you can achieve with a great computer setup and an external DAC.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 80
if you remain stiff against the storm you will break. try to be flexible with the new blood.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
How come? There are absolutely wonderful things you can achieve with a great computer setup and an external DAC.

Don't get me wrong, I agree but I feel most people (not headfiers) don't know this.

It used to be that kids would lust after the Stereo Component System their father/uncle/friend owned. Now it the exact opposite - older people are lusting after the iPod w/stock buds. I have seen this countless times with friends of mine.

In the end we all lose. Why? Well, I have read a few articles that have mentioned that CD releases are now mastered with laptop speakers and iPod Buds in mind. In fact, John Mayer has stated that he also dislikes this new trend because of that fact. His last album was remastered to sound good out of laptop speakers and iBuds!!! This in turn produces a less desirable result when played out of a high end component system. This is all the result of the i-Fi Phenomenon.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
I don't visit Head-Fi as much as I used to. It has different flavor now. Less "headphile". Maybe it's just me.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's clearly visible and an unfortunate trait of most great discussion forums. Once the masses(read 13-18 year olds) find out about them they inevitably start to slip. The discussion quality/level falls to meet the average level of communication present.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Don't get me wrong, I agree but I feel most people (not headfiers) don't know this.

It used to be that kids would lust after the Stereo Component System their father/uncle/friend owned. Now it the exact opposite - older people are lusting after the iPod w/stock buds. I have seen this countless times with friends of mine.

In the end we all lose. Why? Well, I have read a few articles that have mentioned that CD releases are now mastered with laptop speakers and iPod Buds in mind. In fact, John Mayer has stated that he also dislikes this new trend because of that fact. His last album was remastered to sound good out of laptop speakers and iBuds!!! This in turn produces a less desirable result when played out of a high end component system. This is all the result of the i-Fi Phenomenon.

Who listens to John Mayer anyway
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back