Head-Fis Changed
Apr 22, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #61 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
I came here to find myself a pair of headphones to substitute my iBuds, and this is what happened: iBuds -> Sony EX71SL -> Alessandro MS-1 -> Koss PortaPro -> UE super.fi 5 Pro -> Go-Vibe -> E-MU 0404 -> Grado HF-1 -> Millett Hybrid -> Zhaolu DAC -> AKG K 701 -> Single Power PPX3-6SN7 SLAM -> Grado RS-2 -> AKG K 1000 (pending)...

Is this what you call the i-Fi phenomenon?

Sorry about your Wallet!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Sorry about your Wallet!
biggrin.gif

Please, don't mention it...
biggrin.gif

(I'm going to sell my HF-1s and K 701s IF i end up purchasing those K 1000s. PM me if interested...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
No sir, that is the backlash to the phenomenon.
icon10.gif

TEAM I-FI BACKLASH
biggrin.gif

(I have to clear one thing up though... I never got to listen to my iBuds. I received the EX71SL before I received the iPod, so I still have a pair of unopened NOS iBuds from the 4th generation...
tongue.gif
)

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #64 of 80
Quote:

(I have to clear one thing up though... I never got to listen to my iBuds. I received the EX71SL before I received the iPod, so I still have a pair of unopened NOS iBuds from the 4th generation...
tongue.gif
)

Sell those iBuds on Ebay, people pay money for those things. You could get an extra 5 bucks of pocket change probably.

Apr 22, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Sell those iBuds on Ebay, people pay money for those things. You could get an extra 5 bucks of pocket change probably.

No, I think I'll wait a couple hundred years and sell them to a museum. I might even get 6 dollars. (What? No iBud smiley?
frown.gif
)

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #66 of 80
Quote:

TEAM I-FI BACKLASH
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah!!

Damn the i-Fi culture!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #67 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
This must be one of the most eloquent posts I have ever read on headfi. Very well put!

As for the bolded phrase above:

1) Thanks for seeing that my point about i-Fi seems valid.
2) By the i-Fi arguement - all I meant was that i-Fi sucks. It has nothing to do with age (although most youngsters wear iBuds) but had more to do with the reasons people come here. I met a recent headfi lurker who discovered headfi because he googled iPod and some other term and came here. As a result, he now has some decent headphones for his iPod. Anyway, what mean is this: instead of established audiphiles coming in regarding a purchase of HP-1000 to compliment their uberspeaker set up, more often than not, its youngsters coming in because of the i-Fi phenomenon.

Regardless, I think young people being turned onto the pleasures of headfi and the world of audiophiles is good.
icon10.gif
I certainly hope this is the case and hopefully headfi will eventually inform enough people about Hi-Fi that it will cause a backlash towards the i-Fi train of thought and practice.

I don't get it. For anyone who's ripping at a decent bitrate (and a surprisingly number of the 'great unwashed' are from what I've seen so far) a badly mastered recording sounds badly mastered. The iBuds despite all of the crap heaped on them are (ok, so they're rather ill-fitting on some ears) not bad at all for included freebies, when you consider what have been given away with PCDP's for years and years. Were mastering people complaining then?
rolleyes.gif
And the vast majority of people have always been listening on less-than-perfect systems.

What I get the feeling of instead is that it's a kind of workshy snobbery on the part of people who master these days that's at issue... "well, it's only going to get listened to on a frickin' iPod, isn't it?"

May 3, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #70 of 80
I have noticed lulls in my enthusiasm for the forum. Mostly it is caused by burn-out on my end. If there is a lull in the market (nothing new coming out) and I don't have money to spend on new gear, then reading through some of the familiar topics gets dry and I have a short attention span, so I just drift.

However, I really enjoy the growing membership. This growing membership not only brings new lifeblood into the hobby but also increases the buying power of the headphiles at large which encourages manufacturers to keep on producing. Yes, it seems most advances have come in the amp department, mainly because amps are easier to make and have a low initial R&D cost as compared to developing drivers, chambers etc. We don't need "special headphone sources" we just need great sources, unless one jumps into the portable arena, then we NEED high-end sources too. Certainly the iPod help push headphones into the mainstream, and the player itself isn't too bad, even the big audio mags think it is more than just decent. So we are seeing innovation in sources, we have been seeing great leaps in amps and still we are seeing slow and steady progress in headphones as well. Though the recent craze of HE90 purchasing shows enthusiasm for "ancient" technology, the recent abundance of GS-1000 threads and the previous HF-1 threads demonstrates that things are happening in the headphone world to keep us happy, and I don't know if for instance, the HF-1's would have ever been released had the membership not continued to increase and the life of Head-fi expand into what it is today.

I do wish folks would use the search button more often, particularly since the new google implementation increases specificity. Yet, as for the younger ages of members decreasing the overall quality of the site, speaking as a moderator, I've had to deal with far more "older" members than I ever had for the younger ones. Usually, if there is a problem with a younger member, one warning does the trick. The older gents seem to think they can do what they want and then back and forth with the multiple warnings until a ban happens. I'll take a younger enthusiastic member over a bitter old cocky member anytime.

I started buying music at the age of 14. I started investing in a music collection seriously, at the age of 16. I jumped into this hobby at the age of 21 with the purchase of a Panasonic Shockwave PCDP and some Grado SR-60's. At the age of 25 I really started to get heavily involved buying the RS-1's and RA-1. From there, well, my profile suggests the sickness has infected my entire body and I doubt I'll ever leave the hobby
biggrin.gif
I'm 29 now and see more headphone purchases in my future along with a speaker setup in the next 5 years. If I were a manufacturer or even better, a dealer, it is this type of progression I would want to keep my eye out for and rope this customer in pronto! Catch them when they are young, instill a love of music, a respect for quality reproduction and treat them with dignity and the money will flow.

At the heart of all of this I find Head-fi and communities similar to it, though not a single other thus far, comes close for me. Head-fi members keep my enthusiasm high. If I'm in a lull in my desire to read about gear, I can always turn to the music forums. If I don't have the cash to buy music or gear, I can always count on the members lounge to provide that sense of community and connection, i.e., spending time with friends.

The more the merrier I say, as long as the site stays true to its roots, and those roots are a love for music played through headphones.

May 3, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #71 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
What I get the feeling of instead is that it's a kind of workshy snobbery on the part of people who master these days that's at issue... "well, it's only going to get listened to on a frickin' iPod, isn't it?"

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. It's largely people's reaction toward the iPod Phenomenon rather than the product/lifestyle choice itself that causes the problem. Some high-enders embracing the iPod acheive good results, and by ignoring it completely you miss out on functionality.

I find myself in many of these type of discussions siding with older (sounding) folk about lack of respect of younger folk, however I have been surprised, as I am sure many of you here have been, to find there is limited correlation with the "bell-ends", causing trouble, adn the youngsters. The problem is that it is very easy to generalise, and easy to get frustrated when stuff is not how you like it.

The way I see head-fi is as a gestalt entity. It exists purely due to the sum of it's parts. If the parts change, then the thing changes, and I believe that is neither good or bad, just different. The split I see in head-fi is between the "homers" and the "portables", whose perspective on headphone audio is very much different. People who came at the hobby from different directions. Very often they will end up with similar gear, (e.g. somebody who'se got an e4c/amp for his ipod and now wants a rig for home, as opposed to somebody who has their home rig but has started travelling, and wants a bit of isolation...). This isn't like a sharks/jets split, but a different starting point is clearly going to leave your viewpoint changed.

It's very difficult to phrase my final point without it seeming like a dig at the OP (which I DO NOT intend), but if you don't like head-fi, then stop coming. What I mean is that the people who made it great originally are still around (from what I can see). If the flavour of head-fi is different, it can only be that there is less proportionally on here that you like, rather than less that you enjoy, in total. It's like youngsters in your favourite bar. They may be having their fun, but the beer is still cold, and the conversation among regulars is as warm as ever. (wow, that metaphor went patronising, sorry!)

For reference to my views, I am a 21 year old student, who started firmly as a "homer". And of course if goes without saying that I do still love head-fi, and do not mean to cause any upset by my words. (I hope to make headphoneus supremus some day)

Stew

May 3, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #72 of 80
In general, think it depends upon your perspective whether things are better or worse since this is a community of opinions and participation.

Seems to be people just don't like things changing...which i suppose is natural in life as you get older. But still, change shouldn't be treated negatively especially in a community forum. How do you judge what's positive or negative at head-fi.org?

End of the day, think it's up to people to make this forum what they want it to be.
So...instead of saying it's this or that...people should post away...say what they want to say...start threads they want to start and that they care about. Fight for what they want this community to be if they believe it's not up to their expectations...that's all there is.

From my experience, think it's been a very positive development. I never thought I would own the equipment I do now. I started from humble beginnings and grew from mp3s to flac/cds. From just pop music to pop/rock/classical. All this due to age and head-fi.org and I am not the only one who's gone down this path...

May 4, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #74 of 80
This is a cool thread.

I took about a year and a half hiatus from here and I was BLOWN AWAY by how many people are on here now.

Sure.... I miss DustyChalk and some of the others, but the forum is still very good and not over-run by idiots.

I'm also into cars and I have seen car forums go from being reasonably cool and intelligent to hell in a handbasket due to the infestation of punks that have nothing constructive to say.

Head-fi is different but it still rules. May Jude live forever!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back