Head-Fi'ers Mobile Phone Choice
Jun 24, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #76 of 95
I was a keitai user until Sharp SH905i (the screen is superb!) where I left and never look back, although I still have my beloved Sharp V903SH with 3.2mp CCD sensor (the camera still rocks eventhough it is 4 years old) and somehow people asking if I wanted to sell it but I am reluctant, it is a collector's item!

Then I jump to HTC Touch HD, it is very good but only thing I complain is the touch screen is pretty slow sometimes laggy as it is resistive so you have to apply some force on it which I am not keen to but things I like about it is like having a mobile windows platform plus the TomTom 7 with full europe map is just convenient and it's free of course *ahem.. Also the memory used can be up to 56% sometimes and never go down after you have every applications closed and have to restart the phone again. The battery life is amazing though! I load some songs into the phone and tried out the SQ it is pretty crap compared to Touch 2G but it is still acceptable.

After using the Touch HD for a month, now I have put it aside and went to iPhone 3GS instead for me it is better overall. I can even tethering without paying the extra £15 a month to O2.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #77 of 95
I'm pretty rough with my phones and only use them as phones (I have an ultraportable laptop that I use for everything else, and don't care about my phone allowing me to do anything other than talk) so I go for whatever is cheapest at the time. Right now I have a razr with extremely poor battery life imo, but it was the cheapest option when I lost my last phone. Every other phone I've had has been destroyed somehow - I've had 5 in the last 2 years due to this, except for the one I lost. Last year I was using a krzr for almost 2 months after it was stepped on, and the screen half was hanging only by the ribbon that connects each half (the hinges were completely separated). The screen didn't work at all, and I had to access my voicemail and contacts list through my memory of the buttons on the phone. I always use a jawbone bluetooth with my phone, so holding the 2 halves of the phone up to my ear wasn't an issue. That reminds me - I washed my jawbone with my laundry a few months back, and it came out with half the light flashing red and the other half flashing white while the bluetooth itself wouldn't function at all. Nobody ever told me these things didn't wash well
wink.gif
. Anyway, I put it in the oven at 200F for 45 minutes and it has worked perfectly ever since. Needless to say I don't trust myself with an expensive phone, and would never use all of the features anyway. Bluetooth has ruined me though, and I can't stand to hold a phone anymore.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #79 of 95
I owned a Nokia N95 for 13 months. Great video playback and a comparatively excellent camera among mobile phones, but terrible sound quality. Despite feeling somewhat chintzy (especially for the $500 price of admission when I bought it brand new) it had admirably resisted all kinds of elements and drops without any appreciable damage. I was impressed by its hardiness.

Then I moved on to a Nokia N85 for about a month. The sound quality was much improved, approaching the enjoyability and general proficiency of a stand-alone digital audio player (though it was still not there yet). In many other respects it was a thinner N95 with a better screen, but I moved on due to my boredom with the stagnating Symbian S60v3 platform. Moreover the plastic used was cheap and creaky and I definitely do not think it could take the abuse my N95 did.

I followed with the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 for a month as well. The screen image quality on the high-resolution (800x480, ridiculous PPI) was sublime for video playback, though the recessed nature and flexy resistive layer bugged me. I was fine with Windows Mobile and enjoyed the level of customization I could achieve simply by loading different ROMs (mostly lightweight ones with WM6.1 and the TouchFlo3D interface from the Touch Pro 2) through Hard-SPL. The sound quality was a noticeable step down from the N85, but not as deficient as that of the N95 although there certainly was much more bothersome hiss which made music playback even less enjoyable. This is the best-built phone I have used. The build was exceptionally solid, as if I were using a slab of solid steel; the overall size was deceptively small as well. Beyond this, it was also the most handsome and charismatic. Poor sound quality meant it would not find a permanent place in my life.

The iPhone 3G 16GB was the first iPhone I had owned. I used an iPod touch 1G that came with my Macbook earlier, but the experience was NOTHING like what I had with the touch. After using the iPhone I realize I could not go back to an iPod touch. It just being a phone and having only those few extra capabilities made it much more suitable for me as I am a man of convergence. The music playback quality was a night-and-day difference compared to my XPERIA X1 (my eyes popped when I heard the same track) and probably a step beyond the Nokia N85 as well. The lower-resolution (480x320, more than 2 times less pixels than the XPERIA!) but larger-sized display was perfectly anti-aliased and I had no pixel-picking problems like I would have expected. Apps were wonderful, especially the games, and so far this was the best mobile phone experience I had yet. It was just really a joy to use.

I tried the Nokia N97 since last Monday for a taste of S60v5. I did not like it as it felt too much like S60v3 was shoehorned into using a touch interface. The interface was not intuitive at all (even less than raw Windows Mobile) and it is clear Nokia put no effort into adapting and optimizing their aging OS for touch. Many of my favorite S60v3 apps like CorePlayer and DIVX Player were not compatible with S60v5, which meant that the relatively impressive resistive 3.5" 640x360 screen was wasted and useless for me. Music playback quality was almost comparable to my iPhone 3G, but probably between the 3G and the N85 in reality. Widgets were buggy and crashed often, and the 32GB mass storage and digital compass just felt like afterthoughts built-in. It's loaded with features, sure, but I just found many of them implemented half-heartedly and the OS was just a pain to use. In its defense it is a pretty beautiful, solid phone. It is second to only the XPERIA in this respect but its construction is mostly plastic so it is considerably more lightweight (even surprisingly so). The hinge mechanism just feels great and the keyboard was awesome.. but I could not return to an OS that was looked after so carelessly while aging so miserably. I decided at this point I would not be returning to Symbian S60 or buying another S60 product.

I then purchased the iPhone 3G S 32GB. The 3G S was an intended purchase whether I enjoyed the N97 or not because I had really liked the 3G. It was more of the same, but the speed so far has made it an absolute staple. I do believe it sounds subtly better than my 3G as well. Once this thing is jailbroken I may not go for any other phone until next June.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #80 of 95
BB Bold 9000 for me. The loud Speaker is surprisingly good & a standard 3.5mm jack makes it even sweeter.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_0128-1.jpg

The downside is, i can hear hissing sound with my westone3...

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #82 of 95
N97? DROOL!

I'm probably getting wither the Touch Pro 2 or Huawei Android phone when my contract expires.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #84 of 95
I'm looking to get a smartphone as my all in one rig for when I don't wanna lug an imod+amp as well, and I really don't want an Iphone as I hate apple and everything they do, but you can't deny that they have the best sound quality
frown.gif

I'm hoping the new HTC Hero or Omnia HD will either equal or surpass the iphone 3gs in SQ but if it doesn't.. man am I gonna hate myself when I have to end up getting the iphone

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #85 of 95
Can somebody do rmaa on n97 loaded? N97 has a disturbing high IMD. But the rest of the result is EXCELLENT specialy the freq.resp....

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #87 of 95
Strange knights I was overall not too impressed with the N97. I feel it is not as "clear" as my iPhone 3G S and that is merely one reason the iPhone series is the champion of this arena.

Photo phonology:
DSC_0267.jpg

N85.jpg

X1.jpg

iPhone3G.jpg

NokiaN97.jpg

I have more phones than I have phones.
redface.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #89 of 95
Currently I have an iPhone 3G S 16GB in white. Syncs perfectly with my MobileMe account, works great for music playback, has a great web browser, and has tons of useful applications. I have gotten used to the touchscreen pretty easily. The keyboard is still tricky at times but it's not bad. The camera is actually quite good for a phone, on par with my old Sony Ericsson W810i but with less barrel distortion and is far more responsive. Call quality is very good and the earpiece goes very loud, which is a good thing since I've had all too many phones I just could not hear very well on. The oleophobic coating on the screen really does work to make cleaning the screen far easier. The browser is much faster and more stable than on the iPod touch I had. And visual voicemail should be on all phones, it's such a simple thing but so useful.

Too bad AT&T's 3G is a joke, a very bad joke. I have to leave my phone on EDGE or else I will more likely than not be looking at no service being displayed. And this is in the middle of Denver in various spots. Hopefully both Apple and AT&T get their acts together since a radio bug causes the iPhone to hang on to an unusable 3G signal at the expense of getting a perfectly good GSM signal and AT&T just needs to fix their 3G network.

As for my phone history, I don't know if I could list all of them. Here's my best recollection of what I've had in roughly the order I acquired them:

Motorola Profile 300 (Verizon)
Kyocera QCP-2035 (Sprint)
Sanyo SCP-4700 (Sprint)
Sanyo SCP-6200 (Sprint)
Motorola V60i (Verizon)
Nokia 6610 (T-Mobile)
Motorola MPx200 (T-Mobile)
Motorola ROKR E1 (Cingular)
Audiovox CDM-8910 (Verizon)
Motorola i730 (Boost Mobile)
Motorola V360 (T-Mobile)
Panasonic X800 (T-Mobile)
Qtek 8010 (T-Mobile)
T-Mobile MDA (T-Mobile)
BlackBerry 8700 (T-Mobile)
BlackBerry 8100 (T-Mobile)
Sony Ericsson W810i (T-Mobile)
Sony Ericsson W710i (T-Mobile)
T-Mobile Dash (T-Mobile)
BlackBerry 8100 (T-Mobile)
BlackBerry 8320 (T-Mobile)
Sony Ericsson K550i (T-Mobile)
Palm Centro (Sprint)
Sprint Mogul (Sprint, later Cricket)
Sony Ericsson TM506 (T-Mobile)
BlackBerry 8220 (T-Mobile)
UTStarcom Arc (Virgin Mobile)
Apple iPhone 3G S 16GB (AT&T)

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #90 of 95
I myself have just moved into the iPhone world. I was skeptical to say the least but since the new 3GS came out and offered a 32gb version I decided to flog my Nokia E71 and my 32gb 1st gen Touch and get the 32gb 3GS. Did I make a mistake?

NO

The 3GS is by far the greatest device I have ever owned. It does everything perfectly. It pushes my emails to me, it has a 32gb iPod on there (That sounds remarkably smashing!), it has a cracking little macro lensed camera (No flash but not needed tbh), the App Store (Come on, what other platform or device offers this?!), iTunes store for podcasts on the go!, MMS! Copy, cut, paste!, GPS, turn by turn GPS! The list does go on.

This iPhone 3GS is the first time I have ever managed to combine mobile phone with DAP successfully. Bravo to you Apple, I salute you.

Perhaps the biggest shock was that I can leave push email and WiFi on all day, use the iPod for a good 4 hours per day and do a hell of a lot of surfing, app storing etc etc and it still has 40% battery left at the end of the day (8am - midnight usage!). FAN BLOODY TASTIC

Oh, and just to make you all jealous, I work for an O2 partner company in the UK so I get 30% discount off ALL O2 products. Oh yeah! So, for £30 per month ($48) I get 1200 minutes, 600 sms, uinlimited data, free wireless access to "The Cloud" and "BT Openzone" locations in the UK. And the 32gb 3GS only cost me £96 ($155).

HOLY CRAP, just had a look on the AT&T website at how much you crazy yanks are paying for the 32 3GS! $300 for the phone, $30 per month for DATA! $79.99 for 1300 minutes and then $15 for 1500 sms?!?!?! My $48 tarriff over here would cost me $125 in the USA! Surely that can't be right?!?!

(I used to hate apple. Not anymore. Might even buy a mac book!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back