Head-Fi'ers Mobile Phone Choice
May 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

Sparky191

Headphoneus Supremus
I assume most head fi'ers are just as picky about their mobile phones. So wondering phones are you using and why?. Do you use it for music? I'm currently using a w810i which is on its last legs. I use it for music rarely but used to use the camera a lot. But its not working properly. Kinda waiting to see will there be a new iPhone. I'd like something with a decent camera, and PDA. I'm carrying around a A818 and a 2G touch at the moment. In the meanwhile I picked up a Sony C510 but sold it on as the photo quality was dire. I'd go for a E71 only the camera dire and buttons are a tad small. N95's too big. Most of the Sonys don't have much PDA functionality. Otherwise I'd consider a 905. Not crazy about the newer Sonys UI. Seems slow and build quality is suspect. IMO. Considering a Samsung G600 as a temp phone.

So what have you got? and why?

May 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 95
I went with the iPhone 3G. It does at least an acceptable job of everything (perhaps except the camera, but I don't use that much) and a great job of a lot of things and allows me to just carry one device (well 2 if you count the T4 that is glued to the back of it).

May 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 95
I'm a fan of Windows Mobile phones and currently I have the HTC Touch HD. After getting the HD, I sold my iPod Touch and nano. The HD is now my GPS,eBook reader,video player,music player,photo viewer,FM radio & last but not least phone
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 95
I actually went the other way. I went from using WinMo phones for years to my iPhone and now iPhone 3G and I have zero regrets. One of the best and most surprising things about the iPhone 3G is it's low noise floor, if you plan on using IEMs it's pretty sweet without an external amp. The camera isn't anything special. I'll link the last 3 pictures I took below.

L
Sneakers
ES3X

May 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 95
Samsung Blackjack. I never use my phone for music, and the camera quality isn't too big a concern for me (1.3MP, no flash, no auto-focus).

Great QWERTY keypad, good organizer functions, WM6 so everything integrates and syncs nicely, lots of free apps out there, slim form factor, microSD expansion and wifi.

I'm now considering a Blackberry, Samsung i780 or something similar. Probably something with both a touchscreen and keypad to make net browsing easier, but not too keen on HTCs due to reliability issues.

May 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 95
Hmmmm.... good camera and good buttons, I'll look at the N86 which should be here any day now. I'm currently using the N82 (w/ 16gb microSD) with the magnificent Xenon and I'm perfectly happy. I was a bit skeptical for the small buttons but got used to it after a day. The camera is second to none among all 5megapixel phones to date.

I'm waiting for the OmniaHD to hit the shelves but I think you're not much into touchscreens. I can't wait to see shoot-outs between the third generation iPhone, OmniaHD and the N97 soon.

If I'll pick a phone for SQ, it'll be between the iPhone and the SE walkman phones. The new iPhone with it's better processor and the app store will get my vote if there's such thing as a "Head-Fi Phone". It's the only one on which you could pair an amp with.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 95
Apparently the new 3.0 software for the iPhone, improves the camera quality even on the current 3G phone. Hunt around on the web and you'll see examples. For what it is, 2mp non autofocus, the iPhone is a lot better than you'd expect tbh.

I was looking for a N82 but its hard to find now. N86 looks great.

May 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 95
for a phone, i just want something small with a gps for long bicycle trips. iphone too big and everything else except the ones from like 6 or 7 years ago is way too big. why cannot just a simple, do nothing except tell you where you are and make calls phone exist?

as for camera: the iphone's camera is not that good but not that bad. i have used many high end mobile phone cameras and all of them are plagued by terrible noise due to the tiny sensor. most of these 5mp + phones out there unless they use actual digital camera parts (and thus are huge bloody thick ugly phones) produce poor images except outdoors. i'd rather keep the phone slim with a low res camera with autofocus (shame on apple) than pretend my phone can actually take good photos because the marketting department have sliced the sensor into tinier parts to blow up even lower resolution prints.

May 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for a phone, i just want something small with a gps for long bicycle trips. iphone too big and everything else except the ones from like 6 or 7 years ago is way too big. why cannot just a simple, do nothing except tell you where you are and make calls phone exist?

Theres the Sony Ericsson W715.

Quote:

as for camera: the iphone's camera is not that good but not that bad. i have used many high end mobile phone cameras and all of them are plagued by terrible noise due to the tiny sensor. most of these 5mp + phones out there unless they use actual digital camera parts (and thus are huge bloody thick ugly phones) produce poor images except outdoors. i'd rather keep the phone slim with a low res camera with autofocus (shame on apple) than pretend my phone can actually take good photos because the marketting department have sliced the sensor into tinier parts to blow up even lower resolution prints.

Very true. You need autofocus even if just for taking a copy of a document. (I use my w810i like a copier). A lot of phone cameras are ridiculously noisy.

May 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 95
Quote:

I'm glad the N82 isn't one of those phones with noise problems though
biggrin.gif
. Nokia has done a fine job with the 5megapixel sensor of this little beauty. It has also won various 5megapixel phone photo shootouts thrown at it. With all the third party GPS apps available for Symbian, it might just work for you, Shigze.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a photos sample. Indoor and dark.

May 15, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 95
Series 60 to death, well until the next Symbian iteration. I used to hate S60, but once Nokia started upping the RAM amount and then I found ViewRanger I decided S60 it is. I switched from Win Mob to the E51 purely because of that app, even though I aready had MemoryMap.

Oh how times have changed... I used to be a hardcore Win Mob fanboy, and before that a Palm OS fanboy. Now I need something with actual buttons.

May 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 95
I've got an iPhone 3G as I'm fanatic about anything with a picture of the bitten apple on it, and a BlackBerry Bold. One for work and one for play. Having said that I don't use my iPhone for music playing.

May 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 95
Sony Ericsson K550i.
We get new cellular phones at work every 12 months, and the old one is free to bring home. Hence why I have this one.

Would love an iPhone 3G, but don't call enough to justify the monthly plans of $70-150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back