Head-Fi'ers Mobile Phone Choice
May 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #47 of 95
I have an LG Shine, seems to do the trick. I don't know how it compares to others though. Just a regular keypad, I don't text much. The camera is okay for a phone camera. Music quality sucks though.

May 23, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #48 of 95
iphone 2/3G.

Plays lossless, has line-out, easy to work with and very enjoyable for movies etc. IMO the best phone there is.

May 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #49 of 95
htc all the way baby, pocket p.c.'s absolutely can not be beaten on functionality and versatility, then head over to xda developers.com for total customisation.

If you are serious about phones and their ability to seriously multitask then it has to be a p.p.c. and if its a p.p.c. then it has to be a htc.

Nokia won't get another penny of my money, apple phones are essentially toys, blackberry are so limited its untrue and the rest are just phones.

May 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #50 of 95
My cell phone history has been since 1999, when I had a Motorola MicroTAC 650, then in 2003 I upgraded to my first digital phone, that being the Nokia 3285, and currently I use a BlackBerry 7130e, in which I upgraded to last year.

I am looking to upgrade to a BlackBerry Curve (I have been on Verizon since 1999), but what do you guys think of the Curve, considering that I would want is to have web access (like with my current 7130e) and be able to text a lot easier (my 7130e has that annoying SmartType feature which is a pain in the *** to figure out), and occasionally want to put up both MPEG videos, custom ringtones, and pics as well (including those of my hero Cindy Margolis, of course), is it worth it?

I have seen them go for about $400 on eBay, and that is for a NIB one.

May 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #51 of 95
dazzer1975...

...That is why I got the SE X1i... It is designed / made by HTC but with typical Sony Ericsson specs...

...I might go for an HTC phone directly next time though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #52 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dazzer1975...

...That is why I got the SE X1i... It is designed / made by HTC but with typical Sony Ericsson specs...

...I might go for an HTC phone directly next time though
smily_headphones1.gif

Absolutely, they also make the google phone and they really are the "goto" manufacturer if you want a p.p.c.

You might want to check out xda developers if you have not already. Obviously depending upon if you want to customise your phone or not but they have some great information and software over there.

beerchug.gif

May 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #53 of 95
I use a Sony Ericsson P990i

I'm getting a new phone in November, which will be a hard decision.

I'm deciding between the Huawei Android, Touch Pro 2, Samsung Capella, Blackberry Driftwood, and maybe the Sony Ericsson CS8.

May 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #55 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume most head fi'ers are just as picky about their mobile phones. So wondering phones are you using and why?. Do you use it for music? I'm currently using a w810i which is on its last legs. I use it for music rarely but used to use the camera a lot.

I've got a W810i too. I originally bought it with the intention of using it in lieu of a DAP, but I never did for one reason or another. As a phone though it's been pretty solid for me. I'm quite pleased with its performance and reliability.

May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #56 of 95
I recently purchased a Nokia E90 for 360€. It's a beast. It has the most complete qwerty keyboard I have ever used, and I am a mobile writing freak. I use this thing for pretty much everything, like massive writing and communicating, browsing, chatting. It can emulate the Gba, Snes and Sega Genesis. I haven't been able to find a Smartmovie version that makes movies smooth enough, but I haven't tried that hard yet. It has gps although I haven't needed to use it (I have a separate device for that). The essential applications, in my opinion, are X-plore (a wonderful, flexible and powerful file browser that I regularly use in place of symbian crappy one); DEdit, fastest and super flexible text editor around, never leaking memory, unlike the rubbish quickoffice; Jbak Taskman, an easy to use and quick task manager; Opera Mini, which although is not a very complete browser, is pretty stable and has the best visual rendering of all (as well as some scrolling hotkeys that don't make me miss an touch buttons); Nimbuzz, best mobile messenger around.

On the bad, the E90 creaks on the back, and symbian sucks in that it has random freezes (around 1 each 1-2 days), but I can live with it.

The screen is lovely, 800*352 and a very good quality one, making it possible to read pages without needing to zoom, and at visual quality comparable or superior to paper (for example in case of online newspapers).

I had a chance to try HTC g1 but the resolution was too limited, and the keyboard nothing fancy although decent.
I tried the Sony Xperia X1 and, to me, it felt horrible at hand, especially in regard to the keyboard.

May 26, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #57 of 95
I must agree antonyfirst that the X1's keyboard does take some getting used to (for some reason I have a real problem with brackets... don't ask me why!) that being said, one thing that I do like about the X1 UI is the predictive text, where it offers suggestions for not just the word you're typing, but the next two or three also (if you're in the habit of typing the same basic sentence over and over, it is a god-send!)

I swear Symbian doesn't do that (at least on none of the N-Series that I've had up to now...)

May 26, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #58 of 95
Ehehe, yes Symbian never did that to me on my Nokia E70, but it does on the E90, and a friend of mine is having the same issue on his E71. Probably some incompatibilities with two programs using the same access point at the same time (nimbuzz/ebuddy/fring + opera mini) causes some issues with its handling. Everything else, though, it's to die for. I am writing on it right now, as many other times, since keeping the computer with this hot climate is just insane.

Btw Duncan, do you use any custom roms with your Xperia?

May 27, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #60 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love my sony ericsson P1i.

I used to have the P1i, love the keyboard. Best physical keyboard ever. Pity it's gone with the P1i.

The software on the other hand is disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back