Head-Fi Younguns Check-in!
Feb 20, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #91 of 317
I'm 44 and the father of at least 3 of the people who have posted on this thread... no, just kidding... Ok, bad joke!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Actually, it's the wrong thread altogether for an old fart like me, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. It really is amazing how knowledge is power, and a LOT of young people on Head-Fi make positive contributions to this site every day!

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #93 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 44 and the father of at least 3 of the people who have posted on this thread... no, just kidding... Ok, bad joke!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Actually, it's the wrong thread altogether for an old fart like me, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. It really is amazing how knowledge is power, and a LOT of young people on Head-Fi make positive contributions to this site every day!

You can be my father if I can live in your headphone room....

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #94 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

w, i think kids are getting smarter. i don't have any either, but when my boss brings his six year old kid in (president's day), i think he sends him over to his employees when the boss needs to get work done.
eek.gif
tongue.gif
but that's ok, he's a good kid.

anyway i had a lot of work to do so when the kid showed up, i gave him an old computer to take apart, but made sure he knew he had to put it back together. he got the cover off, got the ram out, removed the cpu, etc. "this is fun!" when i returned from lunch he had installed a new hard drive from the recycling. correctly. the machine booted and everything.

man when i was six the day was a success if i hadn't fudged my bellbottom jeans...

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #95 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not jealous. I just find it disturbing when people get everything handed to them instead of working for it like the rest of us. People who work for their gear appreciate it more. That's all.

Not really. Why does that make me disturbing? Because my family can buy me **** just because?

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #97 of 317
I am 21 going on 22 here in a week or so, which I suppose would still mean I am a "youngun" (at least by head-fi standards).

I didn't realize there was such a presence of younger people here, but that must because everyone types so well, spending the time to put together coherent sentences by using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Most forums I have been to with teenagers are so hard to read with all the "733t haxor Pwnd n00b! LOL!!!!1" speak I can't stand it. Readability is one of the main reasons I love head-fi so much. If you're 14 and can make someone envision you are twice you age by how well you type on the internet, you'll probably be going to college because you are better than 95% of your peers!

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #98 of 317
I'm definately enjoying this thread also. Makes me think back to when i was 19, working full time in construction and with a wife and 1 kid already. Wow.. that was like 31 years ago this June
blink.gif
All through the years, I've only been able to purchase audio gear when there was 'extra' money to be found ... which was rarely. I still hope to someday upgrade my speaker system to a Conrad Johnson amp and pre and 800Ds brfore they retire me to that wooden box.
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #99 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbyers77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't realize there was such a presence of younger people here, but that must because everyone types so well, spending the time to put together coherent sentences by using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Most forums I have been to with teenagers are so hard to read with all the "733t haxor Pwnd n00b! LOL!!!!1" speak I can't stand it. Readability is one of the main reasons I love head-fi so much. If you're 14 and can make someone envision you are twice you age by how well you type on the internet, you'll probably be going to college because you are better than 95% of your peers!

x2. This really is an amazing crowd.

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #100 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
------>

Home Rig: X-Fi XM > PreSonus Central Station > WooAudio 3 > HD650 w/ Silver Dragon v2

It took me 26 more years to get that stuff
icon10.gif

This is a great thread. I too am impressed by the maturity and intelligence of you young guys (and gals).

...so 39 doesn't count right?
tongue.gif

Heh, couldn't have done it without you. Again, thanks for all the help
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #102 of 317
Wow!! I had no idea Azure and 003 were so young!

some of the posts in this thread remind me of my youth... saving up lawn mowing money all summer so I could buy my headphones during the november christmas sales. My first cans were $65 Senn MS100s, I bought them in 1984, at the ripe young age of 13, plugged them into a sony wallkman.

Yes I also encountered audio snobery... call it "youth discrimination" at the stuffy high end audio shops. DROVE me NUTS too, very frustrating getting the
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
look from all the sales goons. Being asian didn't help either (The world was not as openly accepting of colored folks back then, but thats for another discussion topic). So... I've been there before too. Just know that it gets better, once you start hitting your late teens.

Personally I value the younger members opinions just as much as the senior members... if not MORE-so. It is no secret that a humans sense of hearing degrades with age. Why someone would dis-credit a younger members opinion is beyond me.... when physically the youth are the only ones physically capable of hearing subtle differences.

So... to all the younger Fi-ers.... please please post your oppinions and impressions freely, your (young) ears are a great asset to this forum.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #103 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w, i think kids are getting smarter.

i don't think any people around my age posting in this topic are a very accurate representation of the current teenage population... i think the amount of "your mom!!! LOL" jokes INCREASING as i'm getting older proves that my generation is pretty stupid. and yeah, i also know people that say "LOL" in the real world. it's pretty scary to think what the world will be like in 20 years for me...

that also makes me think- in 30 years, will people be dusting off the ol' laserdiscs (in the vein of someone today dustin' off Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band on vinyl), teaching their children about the music of Fergie? a funny thought
rs1smile.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #104 of 317
I'm currently 18, a freshman at cornell and I've been a member here for almsot 5 years already. Since: 09-16-2002 to be exact. Damn, its been a LONG time. I was 14 when I joined!

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #105 of 317
18 here. My Grado SR-60, Shure E2c, Sony V6 and iRiver iMP-550 were all gifts from my parents, for Christmas or a birthday (I wound up giving the V6's to my father after I bought my DT770's). But once I started working, that's when I started saving and buying the higher-end equipment that I had been drooling over for all those years.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, being something of a tight git myself, I have to ask how you manage to justify your headphone purchases, 'cause I need some tips!

I think of it as stress relief. When I've had a bad/stressful day, I look forward to going home, lying in bed and getting lost in my music collection. It helps me relax and gives me something to enjoy during my downtime, which to me is well worth the monetary cost.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbyers77
"733t haxor Pwnd n00b! LOL!!!!1"

Teet hacker? Never heard that one before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back