Head-Fi Younguns Check-in!
Feb 19, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #76 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 15 here, although I don't quite qualify for the conditions of the thread; my dad's midlife crisis purchase was the stereo in my signature, and the Stax were also his. (although I bought the SRM 1 mk2) I really lucked out
biggrin.gif

For the other things I've purchased, it has all been my own money, which I had saved up from various sources. Unfortunately for me, a job doesn't fit into my schedule. When you've had a 9 hour school day and still have to do about 2-3 hours of homework, and still want to get to sleep before 10, it's kinda tough to fit in a job.
plainface.gif
Any suggestions?

NINE hours? that's madness.. mine's always been 7 hours. do you go to a private school?

i do my homework before, during and after school. maybe you should try that!

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #77 of 317
I have a big bucket of kudos for the young young members here. They display a level of maturity and articulative prowess which belies their years. I remember when I first found out how old Hemburgler was and couldnt believe it.

So is 14 the youngest in this thread so far? Maybe thats the cutoff. There was another user aged 13 who was more obviously childish than those who have posted here so far.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #79 of 317
hello, my name is Enoch...
I've been struggling with headphones for years.
It all started one day, when I had a surplus of Chinese New Year's money. It seemed so innocent, a single pair of headphones. Bose, was the first thing that came to mind. Then I remembered that I was not a sheep to be led, especially to toxic pastures. I bought my first pair of Senn hd-600s at the tender age of fifteen. I concurrently bought a cmoy from ebay. My first cable died in the sixth month of head-fiing, and so I bought a Meier-Oehlbach. That broke, and so I got a headphile cable. Somebody broke my cmoy and so I bought a pimeta. I then realized that I needed help. I quit headfi for two years, and then bought a pair of er-6s. And then a pair of er-4s. And then a C&C Box. And then a m-audio audiophile usb. And then a zune. All in during my freshman year of college. Someday, I shall graze in the green pastures of freedom, freedom from analytical listening. Someday...

-echiang06

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #80 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

------>

Home Rig: X-Fi XM > PreSonus Central Station > WooAudio 3 > HD650 w/ Silver Dragon v2

It took me 26 more years to get that stuff
icon10.gif

This is a great thread. I too am impressed by the maturity and intelligence of you young guys (and gals).

...so 39 doesn't count right?
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #81 of 317
14 years old here. I joined when I was 13, though. Total spending of about $100, because I'm good at avoiding upgraditis/bad at saving.

I'm hoping to get a little job at the local church for some better income, and by the end of the year I'll probably have spent another $600 on my new turntable setup. I'm doomed
tongue.gif

I never knew so many people here were so young though... I that you all were in your 20's and 30's!
biggrin.gif
But then it's cool knowing I'm not that young.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #83 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by echiang06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, a church job! If you spend God's money, does that make your gear holy?
(don't mean to offend, of course)

uhhhhh did you just say the dont mean to offend part simply for the mods to allow your post to remain? cause i kinda find that rude.

though to answer your question honestly. No.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #85 of 317
I am 17 but been here for about 2 years.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #86 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 19 and I'm able to afford (and justify) my purchases by being a tight git and having immense money control. Its also great insight on how old some members are. But some of the feedback in this thread is quite astonishing.

Okay, being something of a tight git myself, I have to ask how you manage to justify your headphone purchases, 'cause I need some tips!

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #87 of 317
wow, 14? 15 years old? i've talked to some of you guys before and saw someone like me--twice your age--in my mind's eye. well keep buying gear, it will leave no money for drugs you hooligans!
wink.gif
just think when you reach old-fart-fi you will have forgotten more about audio than most people ever knew.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #88 of 317
Mmmm. I'll be turning 17 this year and I really enjoy this hobby. I pride myself in the fact that I've built a near ultrafi rig using money exclusively made by working my ass off. My rig is probably valued at like 6-7 k but I'm sure nearly 10k has passed through my hands due to this hobby.
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #89 of 317
17, turning 18 in a few weeks, been a member since I was 14.

My 15th birthday was approaching, and my headphones (back then, I used headphones exclusively) were pretty much shot, and I wanted to find out about new ones. Got the Sony V6. Went to a few meets.

I've been through a lot of gear. All in all, I'd estimate $600 or so spent on headphones, $600 spent on speakers, and $300 spent on DAPs. I lucked out headphone-wise in that my tastes lean towards AKG, and I was presented with a stellar opportunity to get a mint pair of K340s at a very reasonable price through a friend. That really hit the wall for me in terms of headphones, as I had a hard time justifying anything more expensive.

However, what kills me is small purchases. It doesn't help that I work at a major electronics chain. I have a hard time keeping my hands off some of the better deals I've had.

Right now, for example, in terms of audio and video related technology, I have two pairs of very nice speakers, four good recievers, three good headphones, four CDPs, three DAPs, a VCR, a 32" HDTV that I have used once in the past six months.

And, with college approaching next fall, I'm probably looking at needing to buy my first dedicated headamp (I've been very lucky to go through a series of excellent vintage receiver headphone outs, culminating in being the current owner of Jahn's "Darth Opto" beast), since I won't have nearly enough room to bring my big Infinity floorstanders, or my bigger BIC floorstanders (They're that blurry line between bookshelf and floor speakers in that they take up a lot of room and they're very big, but they're squat and need to be put on stands). This is of course rather more difficult than one would expect, given the 400 ohm impedance of the K340s, which puts them somewhere between HD650s and K1000s in terms of difficulty to drive.

As it is, I seem to have plateaued at a comfortably inexpensive point, being that I am more than satisfied with my K340s. I usually use speakers, but I expect to use the K340s quite often in college. Until then, I'm bumbling around the Lounge with my Infinity Beta 40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back