Head-Fi Younguns Check-in!
Feb 19, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #62 of 317
15, and check out the sig as far as $$$ spent goes! Ahh. Thank god I am all done here.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #64 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not jealous. I just find it disturbing when people get everything handed to them instead of working for it like the rest of us. People who work for their gear appreciate it more. That's all.

Oh, I worked for my gear, and all of my other toys. I started my own computer business in 8th grade and moved onto ebay sophomore year. I've sold well over a hundred computers to customers as far away as California (I'm in CT), Florida, and Texas. I also do repair work locally, as well as take care of a couple of local businesses (including InSite One, the world's largest digital medical image archive with nearly a billion studies). I took the money I earned in that and invested in in the stock market and watched it grow. It's nice being able to see the fruits of your labor.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #65 of 317
I'm 23...still young...right...right?
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #66 of 317
Wow, I'm susprised with some of the ages here. People like..003...
blink.gif

Anyhow, for all the haters thinking that we just have rich parents that buy us what we want - No. Maybe a small percentage of us mooch off our parents but the vast majority of young Head-Fiers here work for our gear. And we work hard. And if you think about it, it's not all that difficult to be able to afford these things. I work for a banquet center and get paid eight bucks an hour. With my short 20-hour work weeks, I'm bringing home $200 paychecks every two weeks. So within a month I'm easily able to afford a pair of HD650 or K701 and a decent amp. Let's say I save for six months. That's $2400 right there. That's more than enough money to afford all the audio gear I want.

If you've been able to notice a sense of maturity in our (online) voice, you should be able to realize that that maturity extends into other aspects as well, including how we budget our money. Maybe we don't spend our money on the right things,
wink.gif
wink.gif
, but we definintely know how to save and spend.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #67 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not all that difficult to be able to afford these things. I work for a banquet center and get paid eight bucks an hour. With my short 20-hour work weeks, I'm bringing home $200 paychecks every two weeks. So within a month I'm easily able to afford a pair of HD650 or K701 and a decent amp. Let's say I save for six months. That's $2400 right there. That's more than enough money to afford all the audio gear I want.

Assuming of course that we have the same high minimum wages as in the US
wink.gif

Here the norm is about a third of that for hotel banquets. The government believes that no minimum wage equates to more jobs because employers can chose how much they want to pay based on how many people they intend to employ and how much they can afford, and for the most part this theory works. Unfortunately it means that if you don't have university qualifications, your pay will suck, and that goes to just about every still-schooling teenager here. This is why Singapore doesn't have the same working culture that is present in say, Australia or the US. Kids wonder why bother working just to make 2 or 3 times their allowance, allowance they get doing nothing :\

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #68 of 317
x4 on being amazed by the ages of some Head-Fiers! More teenagers here than I thought there were. There's also some envy involved for teenagers who work for their gear - for most of you, all money earned is probably disposable income. You guys don't have to worry about paying for food, rent, and energy/water/Internet bills. Those sap away money that could otherwise go to more and more gear!

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #69 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x4 on being amazed by the ages of some Head-Fiers! More teenagers here than I thought there were. There's also some envy involved for teenagers who work for their gear - for most of you, all money earned is probably disposable income. You guys don't have to worry about paying for food, rent, and energy/water/Internet bills. Those sap away money that could otherwise go to more and more gear!

Ah but alas the money you make in a no-strings-attached job (i.e not stable) is much less than how much you would make on a stable one. Even less if you have a university degree and the job is related to it. Personally I can't wait to become a working adult, hopefully as an airline pilot
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #70 of 317
I am 23. ( do I still qualify for this thread?)

I do have to work for every single headphone I am buying and I do have to pay for some other things as well. (food, rent etc etc) Because of this my headphone collection is still quite small. I am satisfied with what I've got right now though.

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #72 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy Crap. $1000s of dollars for people under 18. I thought I was robbing the bank by buying the Tomahawk and now I have to sell it due to financial causes.

Me, Ive only spend about $350 on stuff that I have kept so far, my Etys and HF-1s. I probably lost about $100 to various cables,tips, and amps that I resold. So, $450 max. Which suprisingly is how much I made by selling off that Hornet and a couple other peices in one day. Wow, this is looking more like wave in the ocean than a bank account.

the main reason me and other people my age can spend this much is, well.. think of it this way. all of your gear is worth about what you'd spend in groceries in a month. like hell the 14 year old boy in the family is going to be paying for groceries... and bills, etc. when ALL of your income is disposable, spending $1000 on headphone gear and $2000 on home studio gear (DAWs, expensive mics, monitors etc) isn't all that amazing. the moral of the story is: you can afford your tomahawk if you just stop eating for a month!

i'm not quite as smart as Computerpro3, though... you're really, really dedicated, and i admire how you've started your own stable business already!

next year i'm going to start giving private lessons for tuba (my current teacher tells me that most of his students start giving lessons junior year, but i'm just so freaking special that i'll start at age 15), which will net me about $20 an hour.. not quite a computer business, but hey, still pretty good.

my plan is, as long as i keep on making money, i'll have enough gear to last me forever by the time i go to college. not keeping the SAME gear of course, selling for better stuff! (hell, maybe even get me great speakers!)

i just wish i wasn't tight on cash at this moment. i want my RS-2s!

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #73 of 317
Well I'm 15 right now and turning 16 in April, and so far I've spent over $1,500 in this hobby or atleast in what this hobby has turned me onto... Sometimes I wonder how much better off I would be if I hadn't decided to look for something better than those packed in earphones.

Then again, if I hadn't I'de probably have hearing problems by now.. I'm also quite amazed that there are so much people around my age here on Head-Fi, and some that I would have never thought to be so young.

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #74 of 317
I'm 15 here, although I don't quite qualify for the conditions of the thread; my dad's midlife crisis purchase was the stereo in my signature, and the Stax were also his. (although I bought the SRM 1 mk2) I really lucked out
biggrin.gif

For the other things I've purchased, it has all been my own money, which I had saved up from various sources. Unfortunately for me, a job doesn't fit into my schedule. When you've had a 9 hour school day and still have to do about 2-3 hours of homework, and still want to get to sleep before 10, it's kinda tough to fit in a job.
plainface.gif
Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back