Head-Fi Younguns Check-in!
Feb 22, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #122 of 317
honestly do we need to degrade this topic into a discussion of leetspeak?

4|\|[) 4|\|`/\X/4`/s, 1 (4|\| 5(|-|001 4|\|`/ 0|= `/0|_| i|\| 13375|*34|<

[size=xx-small]i didn't actually type that out, i used some java applet lol[/size]

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #123 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I'm blown away by the ages of some of the posters in this thread, not because of financial reasons, but based on levels of maturity and the eloquence of your verbiage (sorry I didn't mean to sound pretentious there, I just couldnt think of a better way to say it).
I deal with 14-18 year olds every day of the week and none (well, very few) could hold a candle to the way that many of you here debate, explain yourselves, and in general, communicate with the others on the board. I'm under the impression that, audio as a hobby, draws in those who are above average intelligence. This is a general observation and Im not trying to stereotype, but I'm just pleased to see that 17, 16, heck even 14 year olds here are able to express themselves so well. The posts of most of the members that posted in this thread would better the communcation skills of many adults in my area.
I guess Im an old man here at 26, but it gives me hope that the younger generation aren't all morons.
wink.gif

Huh - I'm 25 and I was just thinking the same thing.

Either they are lying about their age, or people who have acheived higher fidelity also achieve higher maturity.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #124 of 317
16 (tuning 17 in may). Livin' it big with audio and auto's with my own money. I hate it when i see spoiled teenagers, i dont blame it all on the child though. Maybe split it 50/50 between the child and the parent/s. You can say that i'm jealous (and i do admit that i am) but it just shows how dependent they are. So what do i do? Show i'm the bigger person by making my own money and spending my own money, now thats a thing that can be showed off IMO.

smily_headphones1.gif
Hehe.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #126 of 317
I'm 16 and just starting to dive into this hobby. I came to here by way of being an obsessive computer user. I spend enough time using and abusing it that the five dollar speaker set up from the garage sale down the road just wasn't cutting it. So I sit here now with a pair of Sennheisers on playing through Foobar2000 waiting for my K701s to show up looking for an amplifier to go along with them.
3000smile.gif

Total expenses so far is only $300. The problem is that all of my internet purchases have to go through my parents because I don't have a credit card! The line, "I need this tube amp for that pair of $300 headphones that I bought last weekend because the drivers need more power and the bass falls off too much right now. Also this will help to warm up the sound a little." It just isn't flying right now. Hopefully soon. At least this gives me more time to spend looking at amps.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #127 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly do we need to degrade this topic into a discussion of leetspeak?

4|\|[) 4|\|`/\X/4`/s, 1 (4|\| 5(|-|001 4|\|`/ 0|= `/0|_| i|\| 13375|*34|<

[size=xx-small]i didn't actually type that out, i used some java applet lol[/size]

and anyways, I can school anyone(?) you in leetspeak...?

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #128 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by jPoDTGN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and anyways, I can school anyone(?) you in leetspeak...?

"And anyways, I can school any of you in leetspeak."

Mrvile > jPoDTGN

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #129 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forvak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that all of my internet purchases have to go through my parents because I don't have a credit card! The line, "I need this tube amp for that pair of $300 headphones that I bought last weekend because the drivers need more power and the bass falls off too much right now. Also this will help to warm up the sound a little." It just isn't flying right now. Hopefully soon. At least this gives me more time to spend looking at amps.

Yea same here, next week I plan to persuade them on why it would make sense to have a pair of closed cans when I already own a "good" open pair...and also what a headphone amp is....

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #131 of 317
I'm 16 (17 in two weeks) and I got referred (with the appropriate "find what you want, then get the hell out" warning) by binkgle and Hembergler. Ended up getting MS-1s, and I haven't left yet.
biggrin.gif

~$400 in, about half is DIY.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #132 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I'm blown away by the ages of some of the posters in this thread, not because of financial reasons, but based on levels of maturity and the eloquence of your verbiage (sorry I didn't mean to sound pretentious there, I just couldnt think of a better way to say it).
I deal with 14-18 year olds every day of the week and none (well, very few) could hold a candle to the way that many of you here debate, explain yourselves, and in general, communicate with the others on the board. I'm under the impression that, audio as a hobby, draws in those who are above average intelligence. This is a general observation and Im not trying to stereotype, but I'm just pleased to see that 17, 16, heck even 14 year olds here are able to express themselves so well. The posts of most of the members that posted in this thread would better the communcation skills of many adults in my area.
I guess Im an old man here at 26, but it gives me hope that the younger generation aren't all morons.
wink.gif

wow..that's almost like calling somebody 'articulate' OUCH....what an insult
rolleyes.gif

I am just ranting because of the recent issues of certain people feeling unbearable humiliated for being called 'articulate'.

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #133 of 317
[size=xx-small]pardon me if i read your post wrong, chesebert[/size]

i think that most of the younger posters in this thread, myself included, don't carry themselves in real life like they do here (see: "articulate"); since honestly, who likes a "boring old kid that reminds me of my school counselur"? i know that i'm a whole lot less civil when it comes to the real world, and even other places on the internet. when i'm around people my age, i don't act all smart and use big words and stuff. but i'm allowed to express myself in an intellectual fashion here- show off the "eloquence of my verbiage". i don't want to act like a 14 year old when the vast majority of people reading my messages are college age and above. depending on the mental capacity of my target audience (my gain switch; it's set to "high" here!) i adjust how i carry myself. Jussei's post didn't offend me at all, and i took it as a compliment. i don't think i'm articulate. (although i think you used the term in a different way than normal) i'm a jerkoff at heart, but i know when to put my serious boots on! although i still refuse To type like this, with perfect English, capital I's, etcetera- as long as you can read what i'm saying!

again, if i read you wrong, just ignore this post. i have the tendency to go on and on and on about a subject without really going anywhere, it runs in the family.

P.S.: the semicolon is the most pretentious punctuation mark ever

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #134 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]pardon me if i read your post wrong, chesebert[/size]

i think that most of the younger posters in this thread, myself included, don't carry themselves in real life like they do here (see: "articulate"); since honestly, who likes a "boring old kid that reminds me of my school counselur"? i know that i'm a whole lot less civil when it comes to the real world, and even other places on the internet. when i'm around people my age, i don't act all smart and use big words and stuff. but i'm allowed to express myself in an intellectual fashion here- show off the "eloquence of my verbiage". i don't want to act like a 14 year old when the vast majority of people reading my messages are college age and above. depending on the mental capacity of my target audience (my gain switch; it's set to "high" here!) i adjust how i carry myself. Jussei's post didn't offend me at all, and i took it as a compliment. i don't think i'm articulate. (although i think you used the term in a different way than normal) i'm a jerkoff at heart, but i know when to put my serious boots on! although i still refuse To type like this, with perfect English, capital I's, etcetera- as long as you can read what i'm saying!

again, if i read you wrong, just ignore this post. i have the tendency to go on and on and on about a subject without really going anywhere, it runs in the family.

P.S.: the semicolon is the most pretentious punctuation mark ever

don't worry. My comment was a mere conjecture on the state of 'sensitiveness' to certain civil rights issue that came up in the media/politics over the last few weeks.
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #135 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 7 and 3/4 years old, been a member for 2 1/2 years, spent about 34,500 dollars on head-fi, worth every penny

rolleyes.gif

I'm 22 and I've spent about $300 so far. I'm actually pretty surprised at the number of people who have replied with ages less than 20. I've been on other forums where people older than I am make immature remarks and jokes about each other, flaming and swearing without second thought. But as many others have said, the maturity of the posters here is impressive, even if it's only on the forums. Sure, some of you might be totally different in person, but having the maturity to contribute to the Head-Fi community is still quite significant. I guess I shouldn't really be THAT surprised... when I was in my mid-teens, I would still post serious replies with proper grammar and spelling (well, as proper as I know how :p).

I was also surprised by the collection of gear people younger than I have, but it does make sense. I live by myself and go to University, so I have to pay all the bills each month. I don't have time for a part-time job, so I'm forced to budget and rely on student loans and summer earnings. Those that are living at home have the advantage of parents who will feed and shelter (and sometimes clothe) them, while paying all the bills. In addition, having time to have a part-time job would help.

Now, I'm not trying to be critical of anyone that is in this situation. A part of me wishes I had found this hobby/pursuit earlier in my life, but I focused more on video games instead. Had I spent as much on headphones/amps/DAP as I did on video games/books/computer stuff, I could probably have quite the collection too.

Anyways, I'm starting to ramble now... so kudos to you younguns out there for making this site one of the best I've ever been involved in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back