Head-Fi UK Meet: 02/04/2011 - London
Mar 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #166 of 237

Quote:
EddieE,

your point is clearly right but I think Parafeed's concerns are on a rather different level.

There is a branch of audio engineering where good sound reproduction can only be achieved with the usage massive magnetic components and big film caps. It is clearly not commercial not much because the fact it is diy per se, but rather because there will never be a market for a company building amps  weighting between 20 and 50 kgs, taking the space of one or two  microwave ovens and needing between half and one hour pre-heating.

So it is reasonable to take the bother of moving this things around only if there is a specific significant interest about it.

[size=x-small]There are two groups of people who would be interested in it. One would be people already taking part in the DIY community here. To those people my initial points stand - it's up to you if you attend or not and only you can control that. If you all come the meet will be full of DIY gear, if you don’t, it won't. How can we change that? There has been no explanation given as to how a "DIY targeted" meet would be any different to this meet. If there's something specific we can do, please let us know.[/size]

[size=x-small]The second group of people who might be interestested in it is - everyone - given the chance that is. Build it and they will come. You can't assume how much interest from the average head-fier there will be preemptively. This looks like being the biggest UK meet to date - if you want to convert the masses to DIY you'll not get a better chance And again, it's entirely in your hands.[/size]

[size=x-small]Give us specifics, tell us what you need and we will do our best. How would a "DIY friendly" meet look different to what has been put together here?[/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #167 of 237

EddiE,

please don't get me wrong. I greatly appreciate the effort you are putting in this meeting that it is seems really going to be one of the biggest in the field around London for ages. And also the fact that the venue is offered for free is of course a benefit I can't fail to be thankful for.
This will be a very interest happening any way and I am personally still interest in comparing how my 30s old technology DT48-S compares with the pick of modern dynamic headphone technology like HD800 and T1.

Let's put it this way: if somebody like Parafeed will decide to join the meeting he can't run the risk of bringing a sqm of gear of around 50Kgs and not finding a space for it. Is this risk present and if yes, how can we mitigate it?

A
Quote:

[size=x-small]There are two groups of people who would be interested in it. One would be people already taking part in the DIY community here. To those people my initial points stand - it's up to you if you attend or not and only you can control that. If you all come the meet will be full of DIY gear, if you don’t, it won't. How can we change that? There has been no explanation given as to how a "DIY targeted" meet would be any different to this meet. If there's something specific we can do, please let us know.[/size]

[size=x-small]The second group of people who might be interestested in it is - everyone - given the chance that is. Build it and they will come. You can't assume how much interest from the average head-fier there will be preemptively. This looks like being the biggest UK meet to date - if you want to convert the masses to DIY you'll not get a better chance And again, it's entirely in your hands.[/size]

[size=x-small]Give us specifics, tell us what you need and we will do our best. How would a "DIY friendly" meet look different to what has been put together here?[/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #168 of 237

Quote:
Let's put it this way: if somebody like Parafeed will decide to join the meeting he can't run the risk of bringing a sqm of gear of around 50Kgs and not finding a space for it. Is this risk present and if yes, how can we mitigate it?

Antonio,

While I appreciate your support, the last thing I want to do is turn this into a discussion about me. To be frank, on the fringes of sanity would probably be the best description for me and my gear. My back of a cigarette packet calculations on the space required for the gear/attendees already listed leaves me uncomfortable asking for more than the average allocation when I freely acknowledge that my interests are certainly not mainstream. I'll bring a setup on Saturday. The more "outrageous" stuff can wait until June, when the people who are really interested can make the decision as to whether they are willing to travel for that alone.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #169 of 237

Quote:
if you want to convert the masses to DIY you'll not get a better chance

Oh dear, this has gone off at a tangent..........

No, no, no, no, no and no! :wink: I have zero interest in evangelizing DIY. I don't claim to speak for anyone else, but what I do I do for myself. If others happen to like it, or think it sounds good - well, I couldn't give a damn, either way. I'm not asking people to buy into it.

I think I need to send you a picture. Then you'll understand why I chuckle every time "half a table, but more if needed" is mentioned.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #170 of 237
[size=x-small]Parafeed,[/size]
[size=x-small]I can't make you promises now, but so long as you are coming, let us know what's on the back of that cigarratte box and I'll do my level best to get you as much of the table-top real estate you need as I can. [/size]

[size=x-small]The aim is to make this as good a meet as possible so if we make some exceptions to get some exceptional gear along there then it works to the benefit of everyone.[/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #171 of 237

Quote:
Oh dear, this has gone off at a tangent..........

No, no, no, no, no and no! :wink: I have zero interest in evangelizing DIY. I don't claim to speak for anyone else, but what I do I do for myself. If others happen to like it, or think it sounds good - well, I couldn't give a damn, either way. I'm not asking people to buy into it.

I think I need to send you a picture. Then you'll understand why I chuckle every time "half a table, but more if needed" is mentioned.

Now I'm more curious than ever to see (and listen to) this awesome DIY rig you have 
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #172 of 237
Hola, for anyone getting the Tube, unfortunately it looks like the Central line has works being done at the weekend, which means Hangar Lane is only accessible via a bus service instead. The easiest alternative looks to be Park Royal via the Piccadilly line, and from there one can either walk it, or in my case get a 226 bus which stops literally outside the venue. You'd exit the station and via a footpath cross the A40, go over the railway bridge, then when you come to a roundabout and some midrises, the bus stop should be to the right.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #173 of 237
You can see from this Street View image, both the venue and bus stops:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.532768,-0.285728&spn=0.00312,0.005917&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.532658,-0.286071&panoid=zwyfjiT-vOBBgVlhKrcZ-A&cbp=12,108.38,,1,6.27

This would be where you'd pick up the bus, note the entrance to the footpath (near the traffic lights), which you'd take to get to the station:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.528914,-0.283045&spn=0.00156,0.002958&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.528983,-0.282616&panoid=OJldOkZzN4JKHXV_a2IYLA&cbp=12,185.8,,0,-5.47

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #175 of 237
I will definitely be late since I won't be free till 1pm and have a bunch of travelling ahead of me. 2.30pm seems a realistic ETA, which still gives me 3.5 hours to try and listen to as much of the stuff on my 'to hear' list as possible.

It also has to be said, this is probably the first time in 15+ years I'll be leaving the house without any wax in my hair!

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #178 of 237
I had it cut today. Planning ahead, although I didn't plan to be goded into getting a Don Draper side parting! Speaking of which, will any silicone tips (i.e. my mum's Westone's or my UE's) fit the SM3? 

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #179 of 237
Alas, my work project has gone into overdrive 'after award' which means I'll be working over the weekend (wait until I tel my mother! - UK Mothers Day to the Americans who think that was so last month).

I shall not be able to attend.

My half table is of course available to the DIYer with the largest . . . kit.

I am kicking myself as this has been a brilliantly planned and supported event.  LCD-2s, T1's, L3, B22's etc.

This was going to define some of my buying patterns.

I look forward to the next one with a bigger wallet though.

If anyone is desperate to hear any of my gear, just get in contact.  I'll be working in Westminster for a few months.

Regards

Sceptre 

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #180 of 237

Quote:
Now I'm more curious than ever to see (and listen to) this awesome DIY rig you have 
tongue.gif

LOL. The picture I had in mind was of my brother struggling, trying to maneuver a wheelbarrow down the path at the side of my parents house, with the power supply for a 211 PSE headphone amplifier strapped to it. (Complete overkill using a pair of 211's to generate 50mW - but hey, it sounds good!) Those oil filled (Partridge and Gardner) transformers and chokes weigh a tonne! :wink: It's just not practical to take that to the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back